IHSA changes

ISU FAN 1

The proposed new schedule still wipes out the chances to ever close the MVC schedule at home as long as the girls tourney is still at RA.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/basketball/ihsa-board-approves-state-basketball-changes/article_13e2ea66-7786-5107-85e4-dc3cdc892da3.html

Redbird222

ISU FAN 1 said:
The proposed new schedule still wipes out the chances to ever close the MVC schedule at home as long as the girls tourney is still at RA.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/basketball/ihsa-board-approves-state-basketball-changes/article_13e2ea66-7786-5107-85e4-dc3cdc892da3.html

It says March 4 - 6 for 2021 .... isn't that when the MVC tournament held? I think it actually may open up the possibility to playing the last game at home starting in 2021

ISU FAN 1

Redbird222 said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

It says March 4 - 6 for 2021 .... isn't that when the MVC tournament held? I think it actually may open up the possibility to playing the last game at home starting in 2021
I looked at 2019, and the girls 3A/4A were the same weekend as the MVC regular season finale. I guess it could work out differently depending on calendar and scheduling. NCAA tourney started later in March than usual. Have to start backward from there.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Selection Sunday is March 14, 2021 according to this. That would make the MVC tournament March 4-7 (the first weekend in March) so either that would fall on IHSA weekend or they would use the weekend after. I can't imagine IHSA state girls final be in February.

Redbird222

isuquinndog said:
Selection Sunday is March 14, 2021 according to this. That would make the MVC tournament March 4-7 (the first weekend in March) so either that would fall on IHSA weekend or they would use the weekend after. I can't imagine IHSA state girls final be in February.
Per article

The new format calls for the girls state tournament to include all four classes and be held on March 4-6, 2021 (Thursday, Friday, Saturday), with the boys following the same format the next weekend on March 11-13.

Based on that and dates Quinn found on NCAA... I believe it lets us play the last weekend game at home.

IHateWSU

Every 5 or 6 years (depending on leap years), the organizations need to move their calendars back a week. The IHSA move their calendar back a week this coming school year, while the NCAA moved theirs back last year (remember Arch Madness was not the first Sunday in March this year). So most years, yes we will be able to host a home game the final weekend. Just once every 5 or 6 years our dates will not line up to have the home game.

ricohill

I hope this works for the IHSA. They needed to make a change. I still think going back to two classes would have been better, but we live in the "Everyone gets a trophy" era. It was even better before they went to 2 classes and winning a regional or sectional had meaning.

Also, I don't really care if we host the last weekend. As long the MVC is a round robin you play the same schedule. Plus, what does it matter if we play the last weekend at home? Outside of 1 time in the last 21 years, the last game of the season has been meaningless other than trying to stay out of Thursday.

Bird Friend

Shoot, let's just do away with divisions in the NCAA . . . D3 thru D1, 1 tourney, since we live in the "Everyone gets a trophy" era.

SgtHulka

Bird Friend said:
Shoot, let's just do away with divisions in the NCAA . . . D3 thru D1, 1 tourney, since we live in the "Everyone gets a trophy" era.

I say, let's narrow the focus even more. Why, other than the sake of feeling, does women's basketball have their own set of tournaments? Lady Vols vs Duke men's for all the marbles say I

ISU FAN 1

isuquinndog said:
Hopefully it’ll work out. Maybe this year was the aberration, with the NCAA tourney being a little later than usual.

Top Bottom