If you would've told me...

Seeing Red

That QB Christian was going to go 17-37 with 177 yards
That Weinke was going to catch 5 passes for 52 yards
That Goedart... helluva player, definitely NFL worthy, was going to ONLY catch 1 for 33 yards and one TD
And that we score on a 100 yard KO return (when's the last time we did that by the way?)
That we were tied 24 all in the 4th quarter with the #6 team in the country... I'd take that opportunity all day long! Our.guys played their guts out and if we play like that again next week, we have a chance. Go Birds!

rdt99

I liked the effort. Broadnax brings some skills to the table. I'd still like him to get his passing game better.

fourthandshort

good perspective post ... add to that the fact that Wieneke was targeted 12 times .. which mean 4.3 yards per attempt for their all american.

several SDSU fans on AGS said this was the best defense they've faced all year for sure ,... better than YSU, NDSU, and UNI. Pretty amazing how well we held them in running and passing on their home field in good weather and without our offense dominating. Nearly half their rush yards came on the 84 yard Christion draw play late in Q4.

All in all a very good day for ISU, putting aside the loss and poor coaching decisions on last 2 offensive drives. Lot of people had to be wondering which ISU team would show up .. this game had the makings for one that would slip away from us into a 2+ TD loss .. but it didn't.

So kudos to coaches and players for coming ready to play yesterday. Now have to win next week ... it is for our playoff lives.

bluejay

Totally awesome game. The real team showed up yesterday. I wholeheartedly believe in our players abilities. For the last game a good mixture of all the things that worked would be an excellent strategy. If I see one more screen I'm going down on the sidelines. lol Played well against a good team.Let's get the win next week. Run it down their throats and a few to Schnell and Gibbs. GO BIRDS!!!!!!!

Chi-bird

The defense was great. Excellent coverage, tackling, and we did get more pressure in the 2nd half. What an incredible play by Conley.

I hope we can figure out the QB position soon as it would be a damn shame to waste this defense and running attack and not get into the playoffs. I don't know Kolbe's status, or if he is now 2nd string, but we have to get much much more out of the QB position.

Next week vs. NDSU will be the perfect opportunity to see which QB can lead us. If Kolb'e healthy, I'd like to see both get many reps.

dpdoughbird06

Chi-bird said:
The defense was great. Excellent coverage, tackling, and we did get more pressure in the 2nd half. What an incredible play by Conley.

I hope we can figure out the QB position soon as it would be a damn shame to waste this defense and running attack and not get into the playoffs. I don't know Kolbe's status, or if he is now 2nd string, but we have to get much much more out of the QB position.

Next week vs. NDSU will be the perfect opportunity to see which QB can lead us. If Kolb'e healthy, I'd like to see both get many reps.

I still feel like Kolbe can run the ball, but they seem committed to making him strictly a pocket passer. Guessing this is to protect his banged up shoulder from last year, but it's too bad he can't run more; I still remember his TD draw play vs Richmond - he was no Tre, but elusive enough to at least be able to sell the occasional read option.

Just wishing we had a dual threat QB to make our play calling less predictable and keep defenses honest, rather than a pair of QBs who are mostly one-dimensional at the moment.

Chi-bird

dpdoughbird06 said:
Chi-bird said:

I still feel like Kolbe can run the ball, but they seem committed to making him strictly a pocket passer. Guessing this is to protect his banged up shoulder from last year, but it's too bad he can't run more; I still remember his TD draw play vs Richmond - he was no Tre, but elusive enough to at least be able to sell the occasional read option.

Just wishing we had a dual threat QB to make our play calling less predictable and keep defenses honest, rather than a pair of QBs who are mostly one-dimensional at the moment.

I think he can run a little bit...but he's not the fastest guy, nor is he the biggest. I think you're right about them not wanting him to get banged up. I don't think it's just his shoulder, either. I think he's just not very durable.

I'm hoping that him losing his job (if even for a game) will wake him up a little. I admittedly have not been impressed with his progress here. Spack was gushing over him before he ever started a game, but I think we can probably agree that we're not getting as much out of him as our opponents are getting out of their QBs.

Southbound

I'll tell you we should have scored 10 points in that game. Rest was just good fortune.

Top Bottom