Howard Fleming Jr

Redhawk

Appreciate his two years as a Redbird and wish him the best wherever he ends up!

3 of the top 4 guards from last year are gone. Plenty of minutes available at ISU!!!!

cubird

A big guard who can defend, rebound and was finding his shot. Still think he has a lot of upside. Will see if he can be replaced this year.

DougSutton

I saw his Twitter post which was the common boiler plate template that kids post when they announce they are entering the portal. While part of me wishes he would stay, I do appreciate seeing that he was connecting with coach Pedon at his press conference and a few other occasions.

All I personally hope for is that both the players and Coach Pedon have a chance to connect, get to know each other and from there, identify what the best path forward is for each of them, regardless of whether they stay or not. I trust that this happened and that coach Pedon is at peace with the decision that has been made.

We're going to get our new guys that will blend in with those that choose to stay. I'm just sitting back and allowing it to all unfold.

Bdub777

I saw his Twitter post which was the common boiler plate template that kids post when they announce they are entering the portal. While part of me wishes he would stay, I do appreciate seeing that he was connecting with coach Pedon at his press conference and a few other occasions.

All I personally hope for is that both the players and Coach Pedon have a chance to connect, get to know each other and from there, identify what the best path forward is for each of them, regardless of whether they stay or not. I trust that this happened and that coach Pedon is at peace with the decision that has been made.

We're going to get our new guys that will blend in with those that choose to stay. I'm just sitting back and allowing it to all unfold.
Well said!

redbirds2000

The transfer portal is a travesty. Having said that if a player wants to leave then leave as there is very little loyalty. Good luck Howard but the cold hard truth is we didn’t win with you and when we start to win, we will win without you.
Horne, Reeves, Fleming, Strong, Muller...if we win soon, that will tell us all we need to know.

CB2K

First off, good luck to Howie. Loved him as a Redbird! A hard worker and glue type of guy who was making noticeable strides his first two years. Sure wish we could have enjoyed his last couple of years in a Redbird uniform.

On the other side of the coin, this is a tough start. I was honestly hoping most would return - especially Fleming - because the sit back I was looking forward to doing was to observe coach Pedon taking a now seasoned team and incorporating what was missing: a better defense and making some adjustments to the offense and adding a couple of pieces. What could he do with this talent? I bet many would have loved to have these players on their team and now coach has to work to replace and hopefully improve the level of talent that just left. And so it goes with a new coach. Looking forward to seeing what kind of talent this staff can bring in because it is the Wild West with the portal for any school to benefit and lose from season to season.

dpdoughbird06

First off, good luck to Howie. Loved him as a Redbird! A hard worker and glue type of guy who was making noticeable strides his first two years. Sure wish we could have enjoyed his last couple of years in a Redbird uniform.

On the other side of the coin, this is a tough start. I was honestly hoping most would return - especially Fleming - because the sit back I was looking forward to doing was to observe coach Pedon taking a now seasoned team and incorporating what was missing: a better defense and making some adjustments to the offense and adding a couple of pieces. What could he do with this talent? I bet many would have loved to have these players on their team and now coach has to work to replace and hopefully improve the level of talent that just left. And so it goes with a new coach. Looking forward to seeing what kind of talent this staff can bring in because it is the Wild West with the portal for any school to benefit and lose from season to season.
When Jank left, we ran in back with the same group - minus Nic Moore - and came up empty. Keeping Judson around likely ensured this.

My guess is that Howard and other players waited to see if a bridge coach would be kept on; when none were the portal became more appealing.

There was a lot to like in the guys we lost, but the best we probably could have hoped for was a smoother first year for Pedon before the same portal discussions would return anew.

Next year could be ugly, but it also might accelerate the rise of the next great Redbird team if the foundation gets laid sooner.

B

BirdGrad2011

When Jank left, we ran in back with the same group - minus Nic Moore - and came up empty. Keeping Judson around likely ensured this.

My guess is that Howard and other players waited to see if a bridge coach would be kept on; when none were the portal became more appealing.

There was a lot to like in the guys we lost, but the best we probably could have hoped for was a smoother first year for Pedon before the same portal discussions would return anew.

Next year could be ugly, but it also might accelerate the rise of the next great Redbird team if the foundation gets laid sooner.
A smooth first year? I like Howie and wanted to see him stay, but again we are overrating talent that did nothing. More scholarships for Pedon the better.

dpdoughbird06

A smooth first year? I like Howie and wanted to see him stay, but again we are overrating talent that did nothing. More scholarships for Pedon the better.
“Smoother”. Muller’s first year was hardly smooth - remember the 0-6 start to conference - but it could have been a dumpster fire had Jackie/Tyler left. Instead they came back to where they’d have broken even in conference if not for the drop kick. They played on Saturday in STL.

This team with all but Reeves returning - plus select Pedon additions - had a chance to match the ‘12-‘13 team’s performance.

I look forward to seeing who Pedon adds, but ideally he would have been building with a talented group with a positive culture already on hand - even if they weren’t Valley first-teamers.

B

BirdGrad2011

This team with all but Reeves returning - plus select Pedon additions - had a chance to match the ‘12-‘13 team’s performance.

I look forward to seeing who Pedon adds, but ideally he would have been building with a talented group with a positive culture already on hand - even if they weren’t Valley first-teamers.
Select additions with all but Reeves returning with what scholarships? There are a few wasted scholarships and this wasn’t that talented of a group. We saw massive drop offs once Chatman got hurt. About 18 on the roster and maybe 7 truly deserved quality minutes.

Birdman85

Never have seen a bigger group of awful talent evaluators. Fleming is one that I would have liked to stay but give it up folks. This team was 13-20 last year in a one bid league. We could score the ball last year but couldn't stop it. We were last in the league in assist to turnover ratio. You know what that means? We had a bunch of guys that could play one on one pretty well but not share the ball. We followed that up with our total lack of defense at times. This is not a winning formula no matter what your talent level is. It leads to unbelievable levels of inconsistency like losses to Jackson St and playin Wisconsin tough on the road. While there was talent I don't think there is a whole lot of basketball IQ.

Missouri Valley Conference - Overall Statistics

gobirds85

Winning teams blend bball IQ type players with athletes and that is what it is going to take here also. Pedon is going to have plenty of opportunities to find players he needs to move this program forward. Sorry to see these guys leave, but they have to do what the feel is best for them. No hard feelings. Good luck, Howard.

ILLST25

Never have seen a bigger group of awful talent evaluators. Fleming is one that I would have liked to stay but give it up folks. This team was 13-20 last year in a one bid league. We could score the ball last year but couldn't stop it. We were last in the league in assist to turnover ratio. You know what that means? We had a bunch of guys that could play one on one pretty well but not share the ball. We followed that up with our total lack of defense at times. This is not a winning formula no matter what your talent level is. It leads to unbelievable levels of inconsistency like losses to Jackson St and playin Wisconsin tough on the road. While there was talent I don't think there is a whole lot of basketball IQ.

Missouri Valley Conference - Overall Statistics

Not sure I could name a player from the Muller era where I thought to myself - wow, what a good basketball player with great IQ. I became used to watching athletic players with talent upside who couldn’t make consistent good decisions. It was just facepalm moments left and right. I think Strong and reeves were the only two from this past season who didn’t constantly make boneheaded plays.

Manchester Matt

Best of luck to Howard. He was a fine ambassador for the program and school and he was one I would have liked to see stay. That being said, I'm perfectly fine with the scholarship being open and allowing Pedon and staff one more spot to find kids who fit what they are trying to build.

Top Bottom