Hoopsfest on Friday

SgtHulka

Yes, it was

Copeland won the three pt shootout. Hillman and Reeves also participated against the women

A student hit a half court shot to win free pizza for a year

The women scrimmaged

The men scrimmaged. The team shot and made a ton of threes, some from unexpected sources like Sissoko and Ndaiye. Lots of attempts to pass on the interior to create scoring opportunities.

Anything else would be seen as conjecture attempting to guide the conversation

KingO

Copelands shot looks a lot better this year. Reeves can shoot. Not much to read into on the scrimmage. Believe ndiaye hit 3 threes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SgtHulka

KingO said:
Copelands shot looks a lot better this year. Reeves can shoot. Not much to read into on the scrimmage. Believe ndiaye hit 3 threes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3-4 from three I think

SgtHulka

Redbird Alum 2004 said:
Does Ndiaye look ready to contribute? He is the wildcard for me this year.

Yes. How much remains to be seen. But he’s not a 1 trick pony. He can dribble and pass and shoot adequately and is athletic. Only seen him twice, both hoopfests, but was encouraged both times.

Let the Hulka says he’s Michael Jordan mockery begin.

PurpleRedbird

Is it just me or is Hoopsfest just not as good as it used to be. I understand why they want to have it after a home volleyball game to drive attendance to that event a bit, but it just seems like an after thought anymore. Did the entire thing last more than 40 minutes? Don't get me wrong as I enjoy volleyball as well and have season tickets for it too. It just seems very thrown together these past 2 years without much going on.

Maybe I'm just getting old. :)

SgtHulka

PurpleRedbird said:
Is it just me or is Hoopsfest just not as good as it used to be. I understand why they want to have it after a home volleyball game to drive attendance to that event a bit, but it just seems like an after thought anymore. Did the entire thing last more than 40 minutes? Don't get me wrong as I enjoy volleyball as well and have season tickets for it too. It just seems very thrown together these past 2 years without much going on.

Needs the slam dunk contest and a bit longer scrimmages would be nice. Advertising and coverage were poor. 0 in the Pantagraph the day of, or the day after. Can't rely on Twitter. People I asked about coming had no idea it was a thing

Redbird222

PurpleRedbird said:

Snoop Dog?

chuckie1980

So the LOGE Boxes??? Are they staying WHITE.....displaying premier Redbird MTXE graffiti.....or ADs for LaGondola,,Avanti's, Tobin's and D.P.?

JHBird

Redbird Alum 2004 said:

I think so. I just don't think he can handle guarding anybody down low yet. He sure looked smooth shooting the three's.
That Sissoko kid impressed me. Explosive jumper with a decent shot. We'll see if he can contribute this year, but definitely has a bright future imo.

PurpleRedbird

JHBird said:
Redbird Alum 2004 said:

I think so. I just don't think he can handle guarding anybody down low yet. He sure looked smooth shooting the three's.
That Sissoko kid impressed me. Explosive jumper with a decent shot. We'll see if he can contribute this year, but definitely has a bright future imo.
Sissoko certainly looks like he has a chance. He definitely has the physical tools.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Adunk33

Staff member
PurpleRedbird said:
JHBird said:
Redbird Alum 2004 said:

Sissoko certainly looks like he has a chance. He definitely has the physical tools.

Sissoko screamed "raw" to me. Very athletic, physical, and can shoot some. You wouldn't think he was a top 10 player in Iowa. He'll definitely get some minutes with Taylor and Chas out. But if we do end up rotating 10 (with everyone healthy) like Muller wants to, I see him on the outside looking in right now. Definitely an interesting project, though!

SgtHulka

chuckie1980 said:
So the LOGE Boxes??? Are they staying WHITE.....displaying premier Redbird MTXE graffiti.....or ADs for LaGondola,,Avanti's, Tobin's and D.P.?

Guessing there is a plan, but haven't heard one. We were talking about it at the game. Guessing they will be wrapped. Just a matter of if they think the space is a financially advantageous one or just space to pretty the joint up

JHBird

Adunk33 said:
PurpleRedbird said:
JHBird said:

Sissoko screamed "raw" to me. Very athletic, physical, and can shoot some. You wouldn't think he was a top 10 player in Iowa. He'll definitely get some minutes with Taylor and Chas out. But if we do end up rotating 10 (with everyone healthy) like Muller wants to, I see him on the outside looking in right now. Definitely an interesting project, though!

Do you have any insight about how well he plays D? I couldn't really tell much from the scrimmage. His "D" might be a deciding factor in whether he can play some. I think we need another shot blocker type. He certainly has the hops for it.

Adunk33

Staff member
JHBird said:
Adunk33 said:
PurpleRedbird said:

Do you have any insight about how well he plays D? I couldn't really tell much from the scrimmage. His "D" might be a deciding factor in whether he can play some. I think we need another shot blocker type. He certainly has the hops for it.

His feet seem a little slow defensively. If those get up to speed, he'd have the ability to guard the 3-5 for sure.

Adunk33

Staff member
Redbirdwarrior said:
Did we really do away with the dunk contest? ... ummm.. Why?

Fear of injury. They do a "dunkline" now instead of a layup line to warm up. Each guy throws down his best 4 or so and then they call it a day.

Top Bottom