Honoring Radar Gene 2/17

Bird Friend

I hear the Birds will be honoring Radar Gene on the 40th anniversary of the 1977-78 season (24-4) on 2/17 before the UNI game. Smithson's team was ranked as high as 13th going into their last regular season game (a loss to 4th-ranked DePaul). The season included a win over then 4th ranked Indiana State in the regular season, but lost to them in Terre Haute in the 1st round of the NIT. Notice that neither team made the NCAA tournament, though the Birds finished the season ranked 17th.

Redbird28

MTXE. He is from my home town, and I actually crossed paths / sat right next to both he and Otho Tucker a couple years ago when we "retired" Ernie Eveland Gymnasium. Radar Gene with the built in screen...

https://www.prairiepress.net/eveland-gym/wichita-state-coach-credits-success-paris-high-legend-ernie-eveland

bb fan

Great guy. He was coach during my college years and I got to know Gene a little bit and did some artwork for the team, along with the official team artist, Roger Barnes.

MTXE, indeed.

SgtHulka

Hope he breaks a leisure suit out of mothballs for the honor.

TIMMY

It would be great to see Derrick, Joe, Billy, Randy, etc...... I hope the Athletic Department is on this.

Baltimore Bird

41 Years Ago Today the 3rd rated UNLV Rebels came to Normal and lost to our Redbirds. It was a great game from start to finish. Those were the days of Radar Gene and MTXE at ISU! GO BIRDS!

Trey_Guidry4three

Bird Friend said:
I hear the Birds will be honoring Radar Gene on the 40th anniversary of the 1977-78 season (24-4) on 2/17 before the UNI game. Smithson's team was ranked as high as 13th going into their last regular season game (a loss to 4th-ranked DePaul). The season included a win over then 4th ranked Indiana State in the regular season, but lost to them in Terre Haute in the 1st round of the NIT. Notice that neither team made the NCAA tournament, though the Birds finished the season ranked 17th.

One of my all time favorite guys.. congrats bud you deserve it

Top Bottom