He's Got Whatever IT Is!

TIMMY

Have we figured out what IT is? Brady Davis is a plus QB who makes everyone around him better. I love watching the kid play. It's that bounce in his step. 3rd and 9? We got this! It's confidence not cockiness. You just know something good is gonna happen. And that makes the people around him better. Confidence is a funny thing. It's weird but when you know your guy is going to make a play, linemen hold their blocks a fraction longer. Receivers keep working to get open. Backs drop their pads and get that extra yard. That's what IT is.
Also we have an OC who is really tailoring this offense to the talent he has. I thought it would be read option and the deep ball. Similar to Coprich and Roberson. Nope. Not one read option today. The fat kids are really moving people. Lead, Iso and some nice play action. Loveit when Robinson and Smith are on the field together. And CSU could not cover our trips. It was great!!!

TIMMY

TIMMY said:
Have we figured out what IT is? Brady Davis is a plus QB who makes everyone around him better. I love watching the kid play. It's that bounce in his step. 3rd and 9? We got this! It's confidence not cockiness. You just know something good is gonna happen. And that makes the people around him better. Confidence is a funny thing. It's weird but when you know your guy is going to make a play, linemen hold their blocks a fraction longer. Receivers keep working to get open. Backs drop their pads and get that extra yard. That's what IT is.
Also we have an OC who is really tailoring this offense to the talent he has. I thought it would be read option and the deep ball. Similar to Coprich and Roberson. Nope. Not one read option today. The fat kids are really moving people. Lead, Iso and some nice play action. Love it when Robinson and Smith are on the field together. CSU could not cover our trips. It was great!!!

fourthandshort

Not buying into the "it" thing at this point. I think the "it factor is somehow about his care free personality. Except during the game, sometimes it comes off as aloofness. He's obviously talented, but also needs to sharpen some things up in his reads and passing. CSU is not a good defensive team .. for me, the "story" today was about our secondary and overall defense. CSU knows how to develop pass attacks and we contained theirs today. But keep in mind, this is probably a bottom 20 FBS team we just beat. Northwestern was arguably top 40 ... 35th if you think Massey is close enough.

So I'm feeling real good about where we are ... run game is what we thought. Pass game has shown some spark and big play potential .. and we have some WRs. But our defense is the story so far this year ... their ahead of where most of us expected .. at least coming out of last season with all the losses .. our 9 fullest time starters are gone. That is what made today's results impressive in just our 3rd game .. especially after NAIA team and EIU.

We're sitting pretty at this point .. but have some work to do. NDSU and SDSU look really good.

ChiRedbirdfan

fourthandshort said:
Not buying into the "it" thing at this point. I think the "it factor is somehow about his care free personality. Except during the game, sometimes it comes off as aloofness. He's obviously talented, but also needs to sharpen some things up in his reads and passing. CSU is not a good defensive team .. for me, the "story" today was about our secondary and overall defense. CSU knows how to develop pass attacks and we contained theirs today. But keep in mind, this is probably a bottom 20 FBS team we just beat. Northwestern was arguably top 40 ... 35th if you think Massey is close enough.

So I'm feeling real good about where we are ... run game is what we thought. Pass game has shown some spark and big play potential .. and we have some WRs. But our defense is the story so far this year ... their ahead of where most of us expected .. at least coming out of last season with all the losses .. our 9 fullest time starters are gone. That is what made today's results impressive in just our 3rd game .. especially after NAIA team and EIU.

We're sitting pretty at this point .. but have some work to do. NDSU and SDSU look really good.

We all are entitled to our own opinions when not talking about facts. My opinion is we do not win today if Kolbe is the QB as I buy into the "it thing".

Great win and there will always be takeaways indeed including coaching players on basics like how to handle an onside kick when you are a receiving team.....aka never try to avoid the ball once it is has gone 10 yards as it is like trying to avoid being near a fumbled ball. Go after it!

Birdswin

I am in complete agreement with Timmy - Davis makes decisions and zips the ball. Was it a Great Game for Davis - no - but it was a darn good game. Leadership is an intangible - we do not win that game without. Davis is coming along nicely - had not played in several years - there is going to even better games coming for him. The potential has been raised.

Fourth - you have had great analysis for a number of years - and yes, our defense is better than expected and played very good today - but, you have to get over Kolbe.

TreRoberson4Heisman

fourthandshort said:

You have to be blind to not see how much more fluid the offense is with #4 behind center...

StLRedbird

The folks watching on tv probably had a better view, but I thought Davis missed open receivers in the 1st half and was throwing behind them on crossing routes. The impression I got from my seat was that we won big without our QB having his best day.

The team did play with confidence and maybe Davis had a lot to do with that. That said, the offensive stars yesterday were on the oline and the backfield, IMO. We’re gonna miss Schnell next season. Dude knows to get open

DannyCooksey

Davis missed a couple throws. No doubt.

But he is a playmaker. He has very good fundamentals in terms of his play fakes and his balance and feet when he throws.

I think he’s only going to get better. I feel a lot better about our chances winning a shootout with him under center. I also feel a lot better about him under center when we will need a drive to tie or win a game late.

He can beat teams with his arm. I think he’s only going to get better. To me, the players respond to him. That’s huge.

BirdFan10

Fourth, you are really moving the goalposts for Davis. I think he is the more exciting option and opens up for the big play. It balances the offense much better. It seems similar to the Kapernick-Alex Smith change they made way back when. A guy who can make the right decision but not make the big play vs a riskier big play threat.

Defenses used to be able to keep 7 1/2 in the box vs Kolbe because he was never going to beat anyone deep. They can't do that anymore and it really helps our run game open up more. I don't believe in "It" either. But I think Davis's skills work better for a more balanced offense.

Chi-bird

“It” does not equal being perfect, or even refined.

I think Timmy defined it perfectly. Davis’ confidence, demeanor, the way he interacts on the field, and the way he can (not always) make great plays has a noticeable effect on other players.

Davis’ superb ability to escape out of a collapsing pocket and avoid sacks is just one example of an attribute that doesn’t really show up in his stats, yet is a big reason why we won yesterday. Sure, it shows up in his rushing average, but not his passer rating. I think many other quarterbacks (including Jake) would have been on their back a number of times yesterday.

Fan

From my perspective Brady's confidence is currently a factor and the team can see and feel IT. While he was not perfect and missed a few yesterday he also hit some big ones when needed.

It will be interesting to see how he develops as he gains experience and faces adversity as the season progresses.

Redbirds100

The "IT" factor, I saw this poll for what its worth - would Stats be close to the same Tomorrow?

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/top-25-rankings

JHBird

TIMMY said:
Also we have an OC who is really tailoring this offense to the talent he has. I thought it would be read option and the deep ball. Similar to Coprich and Roberson. Nope. Not one read option today. The fat kids are really moving people. Lead, Iso and some nice play action. Loveit when Robinson and Smith are on the field together. And CSU could not cover our trips. It was great!!!

He reminds me of Jim Harbaugh, the way he played back in his Michigan days. It's probably the #4 thing, with both have similar builds and were pretty mobile.

fourthandshort

I guess I've never quite bought into this "it" label that Spack put on him. This is a different team from a year ago .. the OL, the WR group, and the OC. Plus we probably have the best RB group in the country, outside of NDSU. It's not a question of me getting over Kolbe. I've accepted and understand their decision. But all this talk about "it" is just a bit much for me. He's a carefree kid ... fine. It probably helps him deal with some situations better than Kolbe, who is wired tighter for sure. But it also seems to hurt him in other sitations. I still like him a lot and still agree he has more upside than Kolbe. So I still agree with Coaches decision to start him.

As for "it" ... I like to be more careful with labels like that. We've seen him play a NAIA team, a weak FCS team, and a weak FBS team. Let's give this some time before we annoint him or anyone. But also not convinced Kolbe wouldn't be sitting on very similar numbers (like 2016) if he had the team around him last year like Davis has this year .. especially with the OC this year. Thats all I'm saying.

Let't not worry about "it" factor. Let's just keep winning and working towards whatever puts us in best position for playoff run. The 2 biggest areas of concerns were defense and WR group .... both have been pleasant surprises this early in season.

Please don't get wrong impression, I'm still cheering for Davis and everyone on offense to make plays.

GOP_Redbird

fourthandshort said:
I guess I've never quite bought into this "it" label that Spack put on him. This is a different team from a year ago .. the OL, the WR group, and the OC. Plus we probably have the best RB group in the country, outside of NDSU. It's not a question of me getting over Kolbe. I've accepted and understand their decision. But all this talk about "it" is just a bit much for me. He's a carefree kid ... fine. It probably helps him deal with some situations better than Kolbe, who is wired tighter for sure. But it also seems to hurt him in other sitations. I still like him a lot and still agree he has more upside than Kolbe. So I still agree with Coaches decision to start him.

As for "it" ... I like to be more careful with labels like that. We've seen him play a NAIA team, a weak FCS team, and a weak FBS team. Let's give this some time before we annoint him or anyone. But also not convinced Kolbe wouldn't be sitting on very similar numbers (like 2016) if he had the team around him last year like Davis has this year .. especially with the OC this year. Thats all I'm saying.

Let't not worry about "it" factor. Let's just keep winning and working towards whatever puts us in best position for playoff run. The 2 biggest areas of concerns were defense and WR group .... both have been pleasant surprises this early in season.

Please don't get wrong impression, I'm still cheering for Davis and everyone on offense to make plays.

C’mon man. Kolbe is a game-manager with limited rhythm. Davis is an old-fashioned GUNSLINGER who can make a throw anywhere around the yard.

JHBird

I'm pretty sure CSU watched that 90+ yard TD bomb to Schnell. That had to make the running easier on Saturday. I just want to see Brady use his legs more and get some easy yardage. It's out there for him.

Adunk33

Staff member
Brady should have used his legs a lot more. The keep was there on most of the read-options. At the same time, its hard to keep the ball when you are handing it off to two of the best RB's in FCS. There was one potentially important play where Davis could have ran easy for a 4-6 yard first down and he threw it incomplete. As far as his arm, he is not afraid to make the deep throw. His progression is clearly to look over the top before checking down, which is what it should be, and not what Kolbe did. He does need to work on his touch, as others have suggested. There were two passes on the same drive that were TD's if he just puts a little loft under the ball.

redbirdfan04

Adunk33 said:
Brady should have used his legs a lot more. The keep was there on most of the read-options. At the same time, its hard to keep the ball when you are handing it off to two of the best RB's in FCS. There was one potentially important play where Davis could have ran easy for a 4-6 yard first down and he threw it incomplete. As far as his arm, he is not afraid to make the deep throw. His progression is clearly to look over the top before checking down, which is what it should be, and not what Kolbe did. He does need to work on his touch, as others have suggested. There were two passes on the same drive that were TD's if he just puts a little loft under the ball.

I was at the game and after almost every drive in the second half Davis was having his legs stretched out by a trainer. I think he was having major cramping issues. It was obvious a few times he could have run for a first down but keeping him from taking a big hit is more important.

TIMMY

IMO the plays in the running game that worked best were power both under center with 46 at fullback and out of the gun with Split backs. I watched the game again (gotta love retirement) and they ran very few true reads if any. They pulled the H back across the formation a few times and kicked out the strongside end but that was a called give. I'm not sure the few "read options" were not actually all called gives. It does make the weakside end hold his water and sets up play action.
I am very surprised how good we look with Davis under center. I was really not expecting that. I would keep doing what they are doing. Keep your QB upright. We're a dang good pro-style offense right now. Gotta work on option routes. Keep it up fellers.

Top Bottom