HCDM makes list of coaches to watch

fdbird83

https://watchstadium.com/news/these-college-basketball-coaches-will-be-the-next-to-get-hired-by-major-programs-10-13-2018/

Adunk33

Staff member
He is literally the last name on that list which (arguably) includes the top MM programs in the country. Feel Buffalo's coach will be gone after this seas and most other hires will be P5 assistance including Luke Yaklich. Mussleman is one to watch too.

ricohill

It will be interesting to see what jobs open up. Penn State seems to be a sure thing. Not sure what other power 5 jobs come open.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marshall explore and leave Wichita.

Also, wonder what coaches are fired from the MVC? I think Barry is probably gone at SIU (their beat writer called for it to happen a week ago). Lansing is on the hot seat. The PJStar message board would get rid of Wardle (but, zero chance of this happening). I would assume Yak and Mullins from Loyola would be prime candidates for those jobs.

Adunk33

Staff member
I've penciled in Mullins as the next HC at SIU.

ricohill

Adunk33 said:

That is my thought as well. I think it may already be in the works and just need the season to end to start officially moving the pieces.

ricohill

DannyCooksey said:
Adunk33 said:

Agreed

Which could very well mean Dan loses Brendan to SIU also.

Losing Brendan would be a big blow to this staff. He does a ton of work. Dan said at the one coaches show that he now scouts every opponents offense.

However, I think he does need to go to some place else to be a head coach (similar to Yak). Not sure if SIU is that move or as an assistant to a P5 school. I would be somewhat surprised if he is back next year and I think that would be good for him if he moves on (bad for ISU).

bb fan

Coach makes a list like this, and yet, we have a Fire Muller discussion posted here somewhere. Regarding Mullins, HCDM has had a lot of assistants leave. That is a good thing, in that he has hired people who are talented and in demand. It is certainly been hard on him to keep continuity. And losing TWard. a close friend and outstanding assistant was really tough.

TheTruth

Birdman07 said:
bb fan said:
Coach makes a list like this, and yet, we have a Fire Muller discussion posted here somewhere.

Donald Trump is president...

Yes he is..... but what does strong national security, a robust economy and low unemployment have to do with people that were pissed that yet another HCDM team started out the season slow?

MadBird

TheTruth said:
Birdman07 said:
bb fan said:
Coach makes a list like this, and yet, we have a Fire Muller discussion posted here somewhere.

Donald Trump is president...

Yes he is..... but what does strong national security, a robust economy and low unemployment have to do with people that were pissed that yet another HCDM team started out the season slow?

Quinn, call it off as soon as possible, BUT . . . .

what strong national security, there's an invasion at the southern border, hordes of women and children invading us, a national emergency. The robust economy kicked my retirement fund in the groin last quarter. People taking 2-3 jobs at Wal Mart/Dollar General, etc. just to make ends meet. But I do get all fussed up when HCDM stands there on the sidelines with that Lovie Smith look on his face, and then complains about his recruits not playing hard and not following directions and so forth. God help us!! :p

saxman210

Talking about coaching, very interesting to hear HCDM talk at the coaches show tonight that he and Dana talk everyday. And that this week, HCDM gave Dana some input on Barry and SIU while Dana gave us some input on Valpo. Wonder if similar conversations are had amongst the Mullins brothers? Not about each other’s programs but about other teams in the league?

Birdman07

I should have known better. My point wasn't to debate politics. Rather it was to highlight Muller on the list doesn't mean he's THAT good. I used Trump as an example.

TIMMY

Birdman07 said:
I should have known better. My point wasn't to debate politics. Rather it was to highlight Muller on the list doesn't mean he's THAT good. I used Trump as an example.
:text-+1:

Buffett

DannyCooksey said:
Adunk33 said:

Agreed

Which could very well mean Dan loses Brendan to SIU also.

over on Saluki Insider is that SIU reportedly gave Barry an extension recently: " He's got a year or two left on his contract. We'll probably have him around another two years"

ISU FAN 1

If he can get to the NCAA Tournament, don’t be surprised if he becomes one of the hottest names out there.

I’ll wish Dan well upon his departure, “IF”, indeed he gets ISU to an NCAA. That should really be the bar to hurdle before stepping up to a bigger job is even possible, IMO.

stats

The fact that he was an assistant for Kevin Stallings was a big plus on his resume 5 years ago. After Stallings last few years, that is not a big plus anymore. If ISU wins the league and tournament, he should expect some offers.

Adunk33

Staff member
saxman210 said:
Talking about coaching, very interesting to hear HCDM talk at the coaches show tonight that he and Dana talk everyday. And that this week, HCDM gave Dana some input on Barry and SIU while Dana gave us some input on Valpo. Wonder if similar conversations are had amongst the Mullins brothers? Not about each other’s programs but about other teams in the league?

Dana mentioned on the teleconference this week that Muller is one of the only coaches he talks to on a regular basis. He also mentioned that he (Ford) discloses more information about his team than Muller does. So Muller is, "more aware of (Mo State's) short comings than (Dana) is of Illinois State's."

I also found it interesting that Dana didn't recruit anyone on this team other than Milik when he was in high school. It definitely doesn't seem like Dana had been gone that long.

Yes, I do think Mullins' brothers talk all the time except about each other's teams.