Harold Etheridge Returns

Birdswin

I see where Spack made an announcement that he has hired Harold Etheridge as O-Line Coach. Etheridge was with the Birds thru most of the 1990's as the O-Line Coach.
Looks like Spack is going with older, veteran coaches.

MadBird

Hard to quarrel with a guy who's got 10++ years as an FBS assistant, 10++ years in the MVFC/Gateway, including 9 here at old state U. Those were good days!

What are we waiting on now, WR coach, right? Or Corey Shandrick gets a promotion? And then the DC.

Virginia Redbird

Looks to be another great hire by Coach Spack. I also like that these coaches know ISU, have been in Normal before and are looking forward to being a part of the program again. The O Line has some talent and this appears to be a great mentor for those linemen.

fourthandshort

I don't see how this can't work out well .. knows the G5 FBS level, the FCS level, the MVFC (2010-12 InSU), and knows the position for sure. Note, InSU had 3 straight seasons .500 + with Trent Miles and Etheridge. They beat NDSU on road in 2012 .. Bison's only loss that year. Etheridge was OC and OL coach for 2 years (2011-12) when Shakir Bell was tearing up the MVFC.

One negative, I'm betting he is probably more than a little old school like Spack. Need to be careful that the coaching staff doesn't get too old school. OL Coach Clark got a lot out of the OL group during his time .. and he did it the new school way. My opinion is it is ok to have Spack with old school mentality and values, so long as most of his assistants are new school in dealing with today's players. I believe that is how you get the most of players.

That said, we are lucky to get a guys like this on heels of Coach Clark. He will command immediate respect and has proven he knows what it takes to run in FCS and MVFC.

This has to have RBs Robinson, Smith, and Birch very happy .. and OC Beathard.

MVFC is going to get a real taste of some smash mouth offensive football.

Adunk33

Staff member
"He has no agenda other than being an offensive line coach. He just wants to be an offensive line coach and get them to play the best they can.”

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/etheridge-returns-for-nd-stint-as-isu-offensive-line-coach/article_a0b5104d-2ab3-572b-be05-0b48bcbf9de3.html

To me, Spack is alluding to the last coach who held that position pushing to be more than an OLine guy. Could refer to the disconnect between Dicken and Clark as co-OCs. I like the hire. Here's to getting a strong DC to take us to the next level!

Reggie Redbird

Adunk33 said:
"He has no agenda other than being an offensive line coach. He just wants to be an offensive line coach and get them to play the best they can.”

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/etheridge-returns-for-nd-stint-as-isu-offensive-line-coach/article_a0b5104d-2ab3-572b-be05-0b48bcbf9de3.html

To me, Spack is alluding to the last coach who held that position pushing to be more than an OLine guy. Could refer to the disconnect between Dicken and Clark as co-OCs. I like the hire. Here's to getting a strong DC to take us to the next level!

Didn't Spack make the decision though to name his OL coach an offensive coordinator? To me, if he wants his OL coach to focus on the OL, then don't name him OC or co-OC. Same with if he wants a QB coach to focus only on the QBs rather than also being OC.

I like this hire as well. He's someone who could be here a while as, he could have 10 years in the university retirement system if he didn't cash out when he went to Army (9 at ISU, 1 at NIU). This could be an opportunity to build onto a pension for retirement. As someone who has been coaching for 35 years, I don't see him looking for that HC slot.

MadBird

Reggie Redbird said:
Adunk33 said:

Didn't Spack make the decision though to name his OL coach an offensive coordinator? To me, if he wants his OL coach to focus on the OL, then don't name him OC or co-OC. Same with if he wants a QB coach to focus only on the QBs rather than also being OC.

I like this hire as well. He's someone who could be here a while as, he could have 10 years in the university retirement system if he didn't cash out when he went to Army (9 at ISU, 1 at NIU). This could be an opportunity to build onto a pension for retirement. As someone who has been coaching for 35 years, I don't see him looking for that HC slot.

I thought adunk33 had an interesting thought, but then Reggie had a real good point as well. Just could be Spack "had no option" other than to name Clark as co-OC, so to speak - keep Clark happy, on staff, etc. Who knows? The other odd aspect to it is that Etheridge WAS an OC, if I read his resume correctly - he was OC at InSU for a couple years? For whatever that's worth. Looking forward to this all playing out. And dying to know who the DC is gonna be!!!

Adunk33

Staff member
Just speculation but I was comparing it to a kid at a grocery store who is carrying around candy asking and asking if he can have it. Eventually the parent just says "fine." Perhaps this was kind of this issue with Clark and Spack didn't want to go back on his promise. Who knows.

Good points all around.