Hancock West side....

Jon99

If we are going to be stuck with the for the time being, can we at least fix up the bathrooms over there?? Was in there yesterday and felt like I was in a Chicago Park District bathroom, was just nasty.. Or are they not wanting to put money into them because of unsure future of the structure?

DaveBird10

Jon99 said:
If we are going to be stuck with the for the time being, can we at least fix up the bathrooms over there?? Was in there yesterday and felt like I was in a Chicago Park District bathroom, was just nasty.. Or are they not wanting to put money into them because of unsure future of the structure?
If they were unsure about the future of the structure then they probably shouldn't have put a new roof on or put a new track in as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MadBird

Jon99 said:

And here I thought you were going to say they were worse than those at NIU!!

Jon99

With them being 2-5, they won't need to even to open up their west side the rest of the year.. I bet they struggle to get 6000 fans the rest of the year...

That better????

ChiRedbirdfan

I sat on the Hancock West side two years ago and thought it was more than fine for a visiting side. There could be some additions for concessions and anyway to enlarge/enhance bathrooms would be nice too (if that is possible?). But in no way did I feel that it was a dump. Why pump a bunch of money into rebuilding that side? How about enhancing or enlarging the seating on the end zones first including a cool student patio area (yes serve alcohol too but monitor like anywhere else) to get students to the game? There are only 5 home games a year and additionally that side is often 30% empty anyhow.

I go to two or three Northwestern games each year and if a university with a 10 billion endowment that has all the revenue benefits associated with the Big 10 athletics can have a stadium that is like an entire Hancock west side than why does ISU need more? It would be such a waste of funds (that are sorely needed elsewhere in the ISU athletic program) to rebuild the Hancock West side, IMO.

TIMMY

ChiRedbirdfan said:
I sat on the Hancock West side two years ago and thought it was more than fine for a visiting side. There could be some additions for concessions and anyway to enlarge/enhance bathrooms would be nice too (if that is possible?). But in no way did I feel that it was a dump. Why pump a bunch of money into rebuilding that side? How about enhancing or enlarging the seating on the end zones first including a cool student patio area (yes serve alcohol too but monitor like anywhere else) to get students to the game? There are only 5 home games a year and additionally that side is often 30% empty anyhow.

I go to two or three Northwestern games each year and if a university with a 10 billion endowment that has all the revenue benefits associated with the Big 10 athletics can have a stadium that is like an entire Hancock west side than why does ISU need more? It would be such a waste of funds (that are sorely needed elsewhere in the ISU athletic program) to rebuild the Hancock West side, IMO.
Agree that bleachers are fine, more bathrooms always help and anytime I've ventured over there it's been clean. On the other hand I watched a game in a stadium that has cabana's this weekend. Can you imagine that! Cabana's. So don't screw with my little cabana in Hancock's south end zone. It may not be 1st class but what it lacks in aesthetics it makes up for with a heck of a view of the game!

wiu712

Jon99 said:
With them (NIU) being 2-5, they won't need to even to open up their west side the rest of the year.. I bet they struggle to get 6,000 fans the rest of the year...

In all fairness to NIU, we need to remember that the MAC has a contract with ESPN which calls for week-night games ("MAC-tion") for the final 4 weeks of the season.

NIU has 5 home games this year. But only 3 are on Saturdays. The other two are on Tuesday nights (Nov 19 and Nov 26).

Jon99

ChiRedbirdfan said:

I agree, would much rather have the money used for major upgrades such as endzone seating or rebuilt west side/ IPF... but we need to increase ticket demand before expanding north of 14000 seats.. i love the idea of beer sales, I was down there for the NDSU and feel we could have had 30K in the seats if everyone left the parking lot and went inside.. I was out by the baseball field and that lot was packed with people the whole game, get them inside with $20 tickets and $3 beers, win win for the program..

Jon99

wiu712 said:
Jon99 said:
With them (NIU) being 2-5, they won't need to even to open up their west side the rest of the year.. I bet they struggle to get 6,000 fans the rest of the year...

In all fairness to NIU, we need to remember that the MAC has a contract with ESPN which calls for week-night games ("MAC-tion") for the final 4 weeks of the season.

NIU has 5 home games this year. But only 3 are on Saturdays. The other two are on Tuesday nights (Nov 19 and Nov 26).

Some here get mad when I laugh at NIU fans so I need to be careful, but they only had 14K for their game with us, which 2-3K were ISU fans.. only had 10K for Ball St.. so their "normal" attendance is currently about 10K outside of the Maction games...

fourthandshort

wiu712 said:
Jon99 said:

hey WIU712 .... good point, got to keep poster jon fact checked, he is a rabid NIU anti-fan ... though has tried a little harder recently to simply be a Redbird Fan.

Anyway ... nice game for your Leathernecks .. you outplayed us for 3 qtrs and simply got killed by turnovers. Hope you guys bounce back .. tough season for sure.

Jon99

fourthandshort said:
wiu712 said:
Jon99 said:

hey WIU712 .... good point, got to keep poster jon fact checked, he is a rabid NIU anti-fan ... though has tried a little harder recently to simply be a Redbird Fan.

Anyway ... nice game for your Leathernecks .. you outplayed us for 3 qtrs and simply got killed by turnovers. Hope you guys bounce back .. tough season for sure.

Fact check???? I didn't even provide any facts to be checked, simply a guess of what their attendance might be for their last 2 games.. I see they have homecoming this week, I am sure they will get 15K for that one..

I find it very weird that it bothers you so much when I comment on NIU and all their problems, but I guess whatever keeps you entertained...

Reggie Redbird

Jon99 said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

I agree, would much rather have the money used for major upgrades such as endzone seating or rebuilt west side/ IPF... but we need to increase ticket demand before expanding north of 14000 seats.. i love the idea of beer sales, I was down there for the NDSU and feel we could have had 30K in the seats if everyone left the parking lot and went inside.. I was out by the baseball field and that lot was packed with people the whole game, get them inside with $20 tickets and $3 beers, win win for the program..

I don't think $20 tickets would be enough to get them in. The $3 beers might be. With tailgating, you are just going to have hundreds, if not thousands, of fans who don't go into the game.

With a stadium that is going to be used 5-7 times a year on average for college football, some for HS football, and then a few other events (band day?), they aren't going to pump the money into the West side. Until the indoor gets done and then whatever other renovations RBA will need over the next 5-10 years, there isn't enough money to go around anyway. The floor in Horton needed to be redone for student use of the facility. The students are the ones who pay the bills, for the most part, for athletic facility upgrades.

Redbirdwarrior

I kinda agree. The school needs to officially announce a vision and a goal for either an indoor facility attached to the west side or a "face lift" to that west side, but "fine" probably isn't what we are looking for anymore, is it? We can win 6 games a year, have a winning season every year yet still miss the playoffs. That's "fine". The East side is exceedingly nice. I believe the West Side can be better than fine with extremely basic things like paint or, as mentioned, improved concessions/bathrooms. Hell, better lighting. The cavern under those stands looks like that of a Gotham City alleyway. If you are gonna tell me we can't find $950,000-$1,500,000 to throw into the west side, Im going to have to disagree with you.

Jon99

I have no concept how much money is needed to expand the east side/enclose south end to increase capacity, but right now is our max attendance somewhere around 15K (NDSU, Family and HOCO)?? Then again I look at NIU getting 10K, WIU getting 4K and SIU about 6K and maybe we need to be happy.. Good God, Illini only had 37K for Homecoming against #6 Wisc so maybe we need to be tickled to average 12K???

Top Bottom