Hancock Southwest Entrance

RedbirdSF67

Not sure. But this topic came up before, this would just finish my desire for Hancock 2.0. Cant imagine it would cost much, and the revenue generated would pay for it in a short period. https://www.athleticbusiness.com/stadium-arena/usc-to-offer-toes-on-the-turf-premium-seating.html

fourthandshort

nice guess ... clearly starting to fix up the south end zone for something new !!! We had batted around the idea of temporary versus permanent construction ... which begs the simple question .....

Why wouldn't we announce this and give people something to get excited and talk about ??

Then you know ... ask for donations to support this.

Adunk33

Staff member
R-E-L-A-X.

All they are doing is smoothing out the walkway, and removing the gravel area that the visiting team has to walk through. As it stands now, it is not ADA compliant. They are basically just making it look nicer. Nothing earth shattering here.

ISUBU

Adunk33 said:
R-E-L-A-X.

All they are doing is smoothing out the walkway, and removing the gravel area that the visiting team has to walk through. As it stands now, it is not ADA compliant. They are basically just making it look nicer. Nothing earth shattering here.
I think I want more games against teams who are concerned that their walking path isn't ADA compliant.

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:
R-E-L-A-X.

hah ... touche !

but seriously, our speculation and reaction was not totally unjustified. Looks like they are laying groundwork for something new. And can't ignore fact that they are not always on their marketing game, especially when it comes to donors.

Case in point #1 their handling of indoor facility .. piss poor. Got to fire up the fans and donors, give them something to get excited about if they want people to dig deeper.

Case in point #2, we got stuck with that STX game. WIU bought their way out of same game last year .. they could afford to do that ? With just 4 home games ? And we can't with 5 other home games ? Our budget blows WIU away .. sometimes you have to have enough influence to twist arms.

We have a lot going for us, but sometimes we miss the mark on marketing opportunities when it comes to firing up donor base.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
fourthandshort said:
Case in point #1 their handling of indoor facility .. piss poor. Got to fire up the fans and donors, give them something to get excited about if they want people to dig deeper.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1027752095661924354

Redbirdwarrior

Why on earth would they wait until the week of move-in to start this project? You want everyone to have a great impression of the school and having a bunch of heavy machinery out front of our new "crown jewel" leaves a bad taste. This is something that should have been started and completed 2 months ago when nobody was around.

fourthandshort

Redbirdwarrior said:
Why on earth would they wait until the week of move-in to start this project? You want everyone to have a great impression of the school and having a bunch of heavy machinery out front of our new "crown jewel" leaves a bad taste. This is something that should have been started and completed 2 months ago when nobody was around.

they were doing the new field around then .. don't recall exact start and end date.

MadBird

fourthandshort said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

they were doing the new field around then .. don't recall exact start and end date.

Hey, everybody likes to see "cranes" in the neighborhood, looks like things are happening. ;)

ISU release says the entrance will be made "safer and more comfortable" . . . . maybe they'll make the opposition get wanded as they walk in??? :lol:

Metamoron

ISUBU said:
Adunk33 said:
R-E-L-A-X.

I think I want more games against teams who are concerned that their walking path isn't ADA compliant.

Reminds me of something. In early 90s right after ADA was passed I was living in NC. There was an article in paper how OSHA or whoever was responsible for enforcing ADA went to a strip club and gave them an ADA violation because their shower area on stage, for wet T-shirt’s etc, was not big enough for a dancer in a wheelchair to use.

fourthandshort

looks like there's a little more to this than making it a safer/nicer southwest entrance to stadium:

"Construction began on a bigger plaza, stairs and a ramp in the southwest corner of the stadium that will give fans and the visiting teams that use the gate a safer and more comfortable entrance to the field"

Wondering what they have in mind for this "bigger plaza" area ?

SgtHulka

MadBird said:
fourthandshort said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

Hey, everybody likes to see "cranes" in the neighborhood, looks like things are happening. ;)

ISU release says the entrance will be made "safer and more comfortable" . . . . maybe they'll make the opposition get wanded as they walk in??? :lol:
The opponents can only have clear plastic bags now for their equipment

Chi-bird

fourthandshort said:
looks like there's a little more to this than making it a safer/nicer southwest entrance to stadium:

"Construction began on a bigger plaza, stairs and a ramp in the southwest corner of the stadium that will give fans and the visiting teams that use the gate a safer and more comfortable entrance to the field"

Wondering what they have in mind for this "bigger plaza" area ?

Safer? Really? These days politicians, sports teams, everyone abuses that word.

bb fan

The "safer" thing kind of reminds me when the Peoria Civic Center got all new seating a couple of years ago because of a special state grant because the PCC is a fallout / emergency shelter location and in the event of such a catastrophe the citizens would need more comfortable accomodations. More pork for Bradley and Carver Arena, while our state is borrowing $8 billion dollars at near junk bond rates to cover our "balanced" budget while we spend money on stuff like this.

Virginia Redbird

Metamoron said:
ISUBU said:
Adunk33 said:
R-E-L-A-X.

Reminds me of something. In early 90s right after ADA was passed I was living in NC. There was an article in paper how OSHA or whoever was responsible for enforcing ADA went to a strip club and gave them an ADA violation because their shower area on stage, for wet T-shirt’s etc, was not big enough for a dancer in a wheelchair to use.

Okay...your making this up, right? Then again with the way government works...probably not!

Virginia Redbird

fourthandshort said:
Adunk33 said:
R-E-L-A-X.

hah ... touche !

but seriously, our speculation and reaction was not totally unjustified. Looks like they are laying groundwork for something new. And can't ignore fact that they are not always on their marketing game, especially when it comes to donors.

Case in point #2, we got stuck with that STX game. WIU bought their way out of same game last year .. they could afford to do that ? With just 4 home games ? And we can't with 5 other home games ? Our budget blows WIU away .. sometimes you have to have enough influence to twist arms.

We have a lot going for us, but sometimes we miss the mark on marketing opportunities when it comes to firing up donor base.

In reference to point #2...maybe that is one reason why the WIU budget is in the toilet. Bad decisions and tossing money at it to fix their BAD DECISIONS! I would rather see a different team on the schedule as well but is it worth the cost of what the buyout would be? I don't know what the buyout figure would be but that is money that could be used on something else. Just for info, does anyone know what it would cost to buy out of a scheduled game? I have no idea myself.

fourthandshort

Buy outs happen on occasion .. Ball St bought us out of our end of home and home series in 2014 ... they were smart since we would have likely beat them in 2014. But while I partly get your point about compounding mistakes, I don't agree with applying it in this situation. It was stupid to schedule this game. To me, it is even stupider to not replace it if you have our means compared to WIU means. So in their case, they probably could ill afford to .. but got it done anyway. Football program smart, but finance stupid ... maybe ... not sure what it cost them. But their AD got it done .. our AD needed to have the influence or means to get it done .. one way or another.

If we scheduled the STX game because we were worried about securing an opening home game that 1st weekend .. fine. But we also have EIU home game in week 2 and a bye date in week 3 .. so we had options, including accepting a road game in weeks 1 or 3. But our means are far greater than WIU .. so our program deserves better than to have not tried to replace the NAIA game we felt so necessary to lock up when we did.