GRAND CANYON UNIVERSITY basketball

Hamdonger

Don't remember if this article was on the old hijacked forum(RIP, old beloved forum), but I'll post it. Absolute MUST-READ.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/grand-canyon-university-antelopes-basketball-best-student-section-havocs-dan-majerle

Terrific article. If I were AD, I'd put someone on a plane, once a week, and go to some of college basketball's best game day atmospheres and start taking sincere notes. That's an expense I'd gladly contribute to.

Hamdonger

I particularly like the concept that the basketball game...IS AN EVENT. You don't even have to LIKE basketball, for crying out loud.

Phantom

I mentioned GCU in the Renovation thread. I saw them play vs. UMKC last night and the place was rockin! Totally packed, half the lower bowl was all students and they were completely into it. That was as energized and excited of a student section (even the cheerleaders and the band were going apeshit) as you'll see. Awesome arena, awesome atmosphere.

Hamdonger

Phantom said:
I mentioned GCU in the Renovation thread. I saw them play vs. UMKC last night and the place was rockin! Totally packed, half the lower bowl was all students and they were completely into it. That was as energized and excited of a student section (even the cheerleaders and the band were going apeshit) as you'll see. Awesome arena, awesome atmosphere.

Overlooked your post, man! You were there??

Phantom

Humdinger said:
Phantom said:

You were there??

In spirit.

I was envious watching it on CSN+

Jsnhbe1Birds

Grand Canyon has the recipe for success. Money, coach, atmosphere, crazy ass crowd, getting good recruits I get that they're in the far Southwest but adding to the MVC is about getting the best teams in the future to get the conference to be a multi-bid league. GCU is that moreso than Murray State, NKU, the Dakotas, or anyone else. Id be okay with Murray and NKU but GCU is the best program. I wish they would go to 14and get GCU, NMSU, NKU, and Murray State.

CaliRdBrd

Not sure if this makes me angry or jealous. I’ll go with both.

Birdswin

That is an outstanding atmosphere - that is fun, and that is what draws students - the basketball game and opposing teams are like the props - that is what is used for the fun.

ISU does not have anyone - any one administrator - who would have a clue at how to foster such an atmosphere - they would be talking to many students about how they dressed or were without a shirt, throwing things in the crowd, and so on. The current administration wants sections of Choir Boys and Sunday School Girls.

Last item - seat location of the students - on the side - not behind the basket.

HT59

:text-+1:
Birdswin said:
That is an outstanding atmosphere - that is fun, and that is what draws students - the basketball game and opposing teams are like the props - that is what is used for the fun.

ISU does not have anyone - any one administrator - who would have a clue at how to foster such an atmosphere - they would be talking to many students about how they dressed or were without a shirt, throwing things in the crowd, and so on. The current administration wants sections of Choir Boys and Sunday School Girls.

Last item - seat location of the students - on the side - not behind the basket.

Hamdonger

Birdswin said:

As a student and sometimes obnoxious fan, I LOVED sitting baseline with the rest of the Bender's Baseline Bunch peeps. It put us very close to the visiting team bench, which of course, is always "fun" for our "guests." Right next to the cheerleaders, which would create non-stop chants throughout the game...and next to the pep band and flaming tuba man, where it was always exciting.

But bottom line...get the students on top of the court. It's their excitement that fuels everything...and in return, it gives them lifetime memories.

bb fan

Knowing a little bit about GCU, I think they have done a wonderful job developing a pre game and game experience specifically for the unique student base that they have. In addition, they are smart to make it more about the pregame experience, not even letting students in until 45 minutes before the game, taking advantage of nice outside weather they have.

Having said that. I do agree that it would be great to figure out a way to get students right up next to the floor somehow.

Tpguy

bb fan said:
Knowing a little bit about GCU, I think they have done a wonderful job developing a pre game and game experience specifically for the unique student base that they have. In addition, they are smart to make it more about the pregame experience, not even letting students in until 45 minutes before the game, taking advantage of nice outside weather they have.

Having said that. I do agree that it would be great to figure out a way to get students right up next to the floor somehow.

:text-+1:
WOW

birdlife

Seems like our AD caters the experience to the donors, rather than the students.
The year when Jackie Carmichael, Tyler Brown, and John Wilkins were seniors (and Stacho was a freshman) they had an awesome hype/intro video on the big screen before starting lineups. Think its on YouTube still. The next year, the video was a big let down. People in the AD said they got a ton of complaints from the donors that it was too loud, flashy, etc.

Redbirds4Life

birdlife said:
Seems like our AD caters the experience to the donors, rather than the students.
The year when Jackie Carmichael, Tyler Brown, and John Wilkins were seniors (and Stacho was a freshman) they had an awesome hype/intro video on the big screen before starting lineups. Think its on YouTube still. The next year, the video was a big let down. People in the AD said they got a ton of complaints from the donors that it was too loud, flashy, etc.

What the L-Train should have said, do you want a worse product on the court, or do you want to attract better recruits and create a more attractive gameday experience for kids on recruiting visits and buy ear plugs? Not to mention, something that the student want to come to see, I know it was very well received when Jackie was here. The Starting Lineup has been watered down IMO. Might as well go back to the days of the Mission Impossible Theme/Bad to the Bone......

PubIIDreaming

Buffett said:
T Finke from Champaign Central is going GCU

adios amigo!

1128oc.jpg

ricohill

I know this post will probably ruffle some feathers on here (and be long), but IMO we can complain, e-mail, call, post as much as we want, but nothing is going to change with the current administration.

I have a few reasons why I say that. I went back and found an article from 2013 with athletic department goals that Larry had.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/indoor-practice-facility-top-item-on-wish-list-for-illinois/article_e4a9b732-2636-11e3-b265-0019bb2963f4.html#comments

Priorities:Indoor Practice Facility, New indoor track, new ticket entrance and hall of fame for Redbird Arena, finish the horseshoe of Hancock Stadium.

Now in 2018:

http://wglt.org/post/indoor-practice-facility-tops-wish-list-isu-athletics#stream/0

http://www.wjbc.com/2018/01/23/redbird-arena-could-get-lower-bowl-facelift/

Priorities: Indoor practice facility, indoor track, new ticket entrance and hall of fame for redbird arena.

So basically in 5 years we haven't moved forward as an athletic department. Everything is still in the planning/hoping stages. Which, if you aren't moving forward as an athletic department you are dying.

I am as anti-football spending as anyone on here (except maybe Quinn). If they really wanted an indoor practice facility the week after they got back from Frisco they could have launched fundraising campaign while everyone was still excited about it. Instead they squandered the opportunity.

Now in Basketball we have the 3rd lowest budget in the league (never thought I'd see the day ISU bball is that low). Plus, we are losing the facilities arms race to Loyola for basketball (https://www.loyolaramblers.com/news/2018/2/5/general-loyola-receives-cornerstone-gift-to-build-athletics-practice-facility.aspx).

And I ask myself are any of these areas better for basketball?
Attendance, Student Attendance, Marketing and Promotions, Game Atmosphere. I would say the answer is no to all of them.

Larry hasn't done anything to hurt the athletic department in 5 years, but hasn't done anything to grow it.

TheTruth

ricohill said:
I know this post will probably ruffle some feathers on here (and be long), but IMO we can complain, e-mail, call, post as much as we want, but nothing is going to change with the current administration.

I have a few reasons why I say that. I went back and found an article from 2013 with athletic department goals that Larry had.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/indoor-practice-facility-top-item-on-wish-list-for-illinois/article_e4a9b732-2636-11e3-b265-0019bb2963f4.html#comments

Priorities:Indoor Practice Facility, New indoor track, new ticket entrance and hall of fame for Redbird Arena, finish the horseshoe of Hancock Stadium.

Now in 2018:

http://wglt.org/post/indoor-practice-facility-tops-wish-list-isu-athletics#stream/0

http://www.wjbc.com/2018/01/23/redbird-arena-could-get-lower-bowl-facelift/

Priorities: Indoor practice facility, indoor track, new ticket entrance and hall of fame for redbird arena.

So basically in 5 years we haven't moved forward as an athletic department. Everything is still in the planning/hoping stages. Which, if you aren't moving forward as an athletic department you are dying.

I am as anti-football spending as anyone on here (except maybe Quinn). If they really wanted an indoor practice facility the week after they got back from Frisco they could have launched fundraising campaign while everyone was still excited about it. Instead they squandered the opportunity.

Now in Basketball we have the 3rd lowest budget in the league (never thought I'd see the day ISU bball is that low). Plus, we are losing the facilities arms race to Loyola for basketball (https://www.loyolaramblers.com/news/2018/2/5/general-loyola-receives-cornerstone-gift-to-build-athletics-practice-facility.aspx).

And I ask myself are any of these areas better for basketball?
Attendance, Student Attendance, Marketing and Promotions, Game Atmosphere. I would say the answer is no to all of them.

Larry hasn't done anything to hurt the athletic department in 5 years, but hasn't done anything to grow it.

Larry may be a very nice guy, but even the most ardent fans of mediocrity on this board understand he's is not the guy for this job. The saddest thing is the feeling I get is that even though everybody knows that, Larry is going nowhere until he rides off with a nice retirement package.

Top Bottom