Grand Canyon U

Hamdonger

Not sure how I missed this but Dan Majerle was fired at Grand Canyon.

redbirds2000

Humdinger said:

If Majerle had that record, schedule, and attendance at ISU, he would get a 20-year extension. GCU is clearly not accepting mediocrity.

Hamdonger

LOTS of resources (greenbacks) at that place, a Colangelo backing it, dynamic place to play. Surprising at first, but looking closer...not so much. They are going to demand a winner considering the $$ that has been put into the program.

Very attractive job, imo.

Redbird222

redbirds2000 said:
Humdinger said:

If Majerle had that record, schedule, and attendance at ISU, he would get a 20-year extension. GCU is clearly not accepting mediocrity.

They misinterpreted the Fire Dan posts on twitter!!

ISU86

Humdinger said:
LOTS of resources (greenbacks) at that place, a Colangelo backing it, dynamic place to play. Surprising at first, but looking closer...not so much. They are going to demand a winner considering the $$ that has been put into the program.

Yet still a member of Western Athletic Conference, the conference that exists solely as the placeholder for schools that no one else wants (for whatever reason (logistics, money, prestige, proximity, etc.))

California Baptist
Chicago State
Dixie State
Grand Canyon
New Mexico State
Seattle
Tarleton State
Texas-Rio Grande Valley
Utah Valley

With so many apparent pluses, something must be causing other conferences geographically based in that area to think twice (even California State-Bakersfield received an invitation to the Big West).

As I have mentioned before, I would like to schedule New Mexico State as they seemingly win that conference every season and are close to a guaranteed non-P5+BE top-100 NET opponent that can be had.

Schedule a H/H and have the football team be bought to go there.

Redbird222

ISU86 said:
Humdinger said:

Yet still a member of Western Athletic Conference, the conference that exists solely as the placeholder for schools that no one else wants (for whatever reason (logistics, money, prestige, proximity, etc.))

California Baptist
Chicago State
Dixie State
Grand Canyon
New Mexico State
Seattle
Tarleton State
Texas-Rio Grande Valley
Utah Valley

With so many apparent pluses, something must be causing other conferences geographically based in that area to think twice (even California State-Bakersfield received an invitation to the Big West).

As I have mentioned before, I would like to schedule New Mexico State as they seemingly win that conference every season and are close to a guaranteed non-P5+BE top-100 NET opponent that can be had.

Bring New Mexico St in MVC and let them play FBS independent

Redbird Alum 2004

Redbird222 said:
ISU86 said:
Humdinger said:

California Baptist
Chicago State
Dixie State
Grand Canyon
New Mexico State
Seattle
Tarleton State
Texas-Rio Grande Valley
Utah Valley

I don't think we will see them in the mvc. Too high of travel costs for some of our schools.

SgtHulka

Redbird Alum 2004 said:
Redbird222 said:
ISU86 said:

California Baptist
Chicago State
Dixie State
Grand Canyon
New Mexico State
Seattle
Tarleton State
Texas-Rio Grande Valley
Utah Valley

I don't think we will see them in the mvc. Too high of travel costs for some of our schools.

We used to have West Texas, New Mexico St and Tulsa back in the 80s. And travel was more inconvenient then

Tpguy

ISU86 said:
Humdinger said:

California Baptist
Chicago State
Dixie State
Grand Canyon
New Mexico State
Seattle
Tarleton State
Texas-Rio Grande Valley
Utah Valley

Didn't Jank schedule all those schools?

Birdswin

Yes, like the Sarge said - for all you young folks, when ISU first joined the Valley - New Mexico State was already a member - in fact, the Aggies were the team that beat the Redbirds in Horton in 1983 when we were 17-1 ranked in the top 10 by Sports Illustrated, with the SI cameras throughout Horton and writers in attendance.

Yes, Tulsa and then West Texas State were also members. That is when Creighton could not draw 3,000 people a game. After NMSU and West TX left - UNI and SWMS (now Mo State) were added.

ISU86

Birdswin said:
Yes, like the Sarge said - for all you young folks, when ISU first joined the Valley - New Mexico State was already a member - in fact, the Aggies were the team that beat the Redbirds in Horton in 1983 when we were 17-1 ranked in the top 10 by Sports Illustrated, with the SI cameras throughout Horton and writers in attendance.

Yes, Tulsa and then West Texas State were also members. That is when Creighton could not draw 3,000 people a game. After NMSU and West TX left - UNI and SWMS (now Mo State) were added.
New Mexico State left for Pacific Coast Athletic Association (now known as Big West Conference, which (at the time) offered D-IA ("FBS") football) after 1982-83 - conference membership goes to nine

West Texas State (now West Texas A&M) left for Lone Star Conference (dropping to D-II) after 1985-86 - conference membership goes to eight

NOTE: Wichita State drops D-I football after 1986-87

Southwest Missouri State (now Missouri State) joins from Mid-Continent Conference (now The Summit League) in 1990-91 - membership goes to nine

Northern Iowa joins from Mid-Continent Conference (now The Summit League) in 1991-92 - membership goes to ten

Yet to leave were Tulsa, Creighton and Wichita State
Yet to join were Evansville, Loyola-Chicago and Valparaiso

When New Mexico State went to the PCAA, this was their membership:
Fresno State
Fullerton State
Long Beach State
Nevada-Las Vegas
New Mexico State
Pacific
San Jose State
Utah State
Three of which no longer offer football

Birdland

What’s the obsession with GCU? I don’t get it. It’s a for-profit institution that is considered in the bottom 25% in academics.

Bird Friend

Birdland said:
What’s the obsession with GCU? I don’t get it. It’s a for-profit institution that is considered in the bottom 25% in academics.

$$

Hrtnfldhse

Birdswin said:

definitely remember that game. The crowd was so loud while NMSU was shooting free throws late

Phantom

Bird Friend said:
Birdland said:

$$

One thing I'll give them is their fans are rabid and they have an awesome atmosphere at their home games. They get that arena packed & rockin' every night. It's pretty fun to see.

...and also provokes a lot of envy.

Baltimore Bird

In those days with Wichita, Tulsa, New Mexico State and West Texas State, ISU and Bradley did road trips and home stands. Sometimes Creighton would figure in the mix too. The Redbirds and Bradley would often go to Wichita/Tulsa or New Mex State/West Texas State over a Thursday/Saturday or Saturday/Monday and play 2 games and alternate with BU who you were playing. We would do the same thing when they came to Central Illinois. A month or so later we would do the other two teams. That was sure fun. Oh, for the good old days. Did we realize they were the good days? I think we did.

Bdub777

Birdland said:

It switched back to non-profit a few years ago, and is a fast growing institution with a growing academic reputation.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Baltimore Bird said:
In those days with Wichita, Tulsa, New Mexico State and West Texas State, ISU and Bradley did road trips and home stands. Sometimes Creighton would figure in the mix too. The Redbirds and Bradley would often go to Wichita/Tulsa or New Mex State/West Texas State over a Thursday/Saturday or Saturday/Monday and play 2 games and alternate with BU who you were playing. We would do the same thing when they came to Central Illinois. A month or so later we would do the other two teams. That was sure fun. Oh, for the good old days. Did we realize they were the good days? I think we did.

And woman's basketball does that still today. All the 10 teams are "paired" up and on the weekend games play the same teams. And then you play your "partner" during the week. That's why the women's BU games are during the week.

Top Bottom