Gonzaga

CaliRdBrd

Gonzaga just beat what looked like an unbeatable Duke team and will likely be #1 in the country. If ever there was a blueprint to follow, theirs is it.
Just sit back for a second and imagine what it must be like to be a Gonzaga alum and enjoy this type of success.
Pathetic how their program is light years beyond ours

I understan their men’s hoops spend is slightly more than ours (approx $8 millions vs. barely over $2 million) and I imagine much of that is Fews salary, but there is absolutely, but there is absolutely no reason we can’t do what they’ve done.

Reggie Redbird

CaliRdBrd said:
Gonzaga just beat what looked like an unbeatable Duke team and will likely be #1 in the country. If ever there was a blueprint to follow, theirs is it.
Just sit back for a second and imagine what it must be like to be a Gonzaga alum and enjoy this type of success.
Pathetic how their program is light years beyond ours

I understan their men’s hoops spend is slightly more than ours (approx $8 millions vs. barely over $2 million) and I imagine much of that is Fews salary, but there is absolutely, but there is absolutely no reason we can’t do what they’ve done.

Few makes just under $2 million (ranked 50th of D1 teams). We spend more on our coach’s salary as a percentage of expenses than they do.

CaliRdBrd

It’s even worse when one looks at the programs that are ahead of ISU (Programs like Wright Sate, for crying out loud).
I’m not saying that spending equals success, but we are near the bottom of the pecking order. Heck, there are only two teams with a lower spend than ISU in the Valley.
Just sad.

Jsnhbe1Birds

1. Theyve had the luxury of a top coach being comfortable where he's at and not breaking the bank (which is because he says he saw the coach before him go to the Big Ten and fail).

2. They weren't spending 8-million back in 1998 when this started. Gonzaga has been in the public conscious for 20 years now (SINCE WE LAST WENT THE DANCE!!!)

Trey_Guidry4three

First we must go to elite 8. Then we must make ncaa tournament 20 years in a row while consistently being ranked in top 25

Brick

We simply cannot spend what we don’t have. And I am NOT for dropping football either ISU has not created a wealthy alumni base to do the things the big boys do.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Brick said:
We simply cannot spend what we don’t have. And I am NOT for dropping football either ISU has not created a wealthy alumni base to do the things the big boys do.

Maybe the first step is to be deemed a research school. Churn out more wealth. Of course this would take decades to show results in the athletic program its not like consistent athletic success is coming soon anyway. I think the whole home of champions thing is laughable.

SgtHulka

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Brick said:

Maybe the first step is to be deemed a research school. Churn out more wealth. Of course this would take decades to show results in the athletic program its not like consistent athletic success is coming soon anyway. I think the whole home of champions thing is laughable.

We haven't used that handle in several years. And when we did it was far from laughable. We were consistently winning more team championships than our conference opponents in all sports. the basketball team had a higher conference game win % and tournament win % as well than any other team. The fact we let that slide and quietly had to ditch the handle is sad.

cubird

Need to get the Engineering Degree up and running. Athletics and Academics can elevate each other. Alumni that make big bucks doesn't hurt!

DougSutton

I love Illinois State and am incredibly grateful to have grown up in Central Illinois (on a farm) and for the chapter of my life I had in Bloomington/Normal. That being said, there isn't a way to truly compare the "blueprint" that Gonzaga has followed as a path for Illinois State to emulate. Of course, there are elements of their path that we or any other non BCS conference team can do. What we could emulate was their scheduling strategy. They had no expectation or entitlement feeling that the big brands had to come to their place and play a home and home series. When they were on the rise, they went after the top tournaments and played one and dones at big schools and knocked some of them off. They had a few successful tournament runs as well which gave them credibility and recognition.

The above has been done by a few other non-BCS teams but they haven't sustain success because coaches went on for bigger opportunities.

The thing about Gonzaga that has a big advantage over Illinois State and this is with all respect to central Illinois is Spokane, Washington and that area of the country. It is incredible! I remember seeing a special a few years ago on Gonzaga's program and Mark Few. They went to his home and showed it. It is an amazing home in the mountains with some of the most beautiful views of mountains, nature, running streams, etc. that I have seen. Their campus is spectacular and rare. They have such a unique advantage from that perspective. Mark Few said he was living in his version of heaven on earth and I could see why. Places like that and San Diego State (where I live near) certainly have an advantage over central Illinois. .

There are other advantages they have as well including being an independent/private brand and more. That being said, I fully support Illinois State and enjoy doing so from a different part of the country.

CaliRdBrd

DougSutton said:
I love Illinois State and am incredibly grateful to have grown up in Central Illinois (on a farm) and for the chapter of my life I had in Bloomington/Normal. That being said, there isn't a way to truly compare the "blueprint" that Gonzaga has followed as a path for Illinois State to emulate. Of course, there are elements of their path that we or any other non BCS conference team can do. What we could emulate was their scheduling strategy. They had no expectation or entitlement feeling that the big brands had to come to their place and play a home and home series. When they were on the rise, they went after the top tournaments and played one and dones at big schools and knocked some of them off. They had a few successful tournament runs as well which gave them credibility and recognition.

The above has been done by a few other non-BCS teams but they haven't sustain success because coaches went on for bigger opportunities.

The thing about Gonzaga that has a big advantage over Illinois State and this is with all respect to central Illinois is Spokane, Washington and that area of the country. It is incredible! I remember seeing a special a few years ago on Gonzaga's program and Mark Few. They went to his home and showed it. It is an amazing home in the mountains with some of the most beautiful views of mountains, nature, running streams, etc. that I have seen. Their campus is spectacular and rare. They have such a unique advantage from that perspective. Mark Few said he was living in his version of heaven on earth and I could see why. Places like that and San Diego State (where I live near) certainly have an advantage over central Illinois. .

There are other advantages they have as well including being an independent/private brand and more. That being said, I fully support Illinois State and enjoy doing so from a different part of the country.

You but the nail on the head regarding scheduling. Too many on here feel we’re too good to do one and dones and that’s a problem.
I’d rather play at Duke, at UCLA, at Michigan State, etc with no promise of a return game then play FGCU (et al) in a home and home. All solid programs, but most kids have no idea who FGCU, VCU, Murray State are and fans could care less when they come to Normal.
Best schedule we had, was a few years ago when we travelled to Kentucky. Even if you lose, those games bring you exposure and excite potential recruits. Win one or two and you begin the process of laying the foundation for a Gonzaga-like program.

bb fan

Y'know, sometimes I just think I am reading a different forum than some folks here. Cali, I would like to see even one example of somebody on here saying we are too good to do one and dones. Let alone "too many". I like a one or done, maybe couple. I think there's a consensus for this.

Chi-bird

DougSutton said:

True. Geography is a huge part of this. There are only so many Gonzaga-like settings/commutities. Midwest and Northern areas are saturated with schools that don’t have the same advantages and seem to canabalize each other.

ISU FAN 1

Chi-bird said:
DougSutton said:

True. Geography is a huge part of this. There are only so many Gonzaga-like settings/commutities. Midwest and Northern areas are saturated with schools that don’t have the same advantages and seem to canabalize each other.

Only so many Gonzaga like may exist, but plenty of un-Gonzaga like that also trump the ISU/B-N atmosphere and experience. Not to mention, the state of Illinois sucks. At least soon, Pritzker will legalize recreational marijuana, and everyone will be too high to notice.

CaliRdBrd

bb fan said:
Y'know, sometimes I just think I am reading a different forum than some folks here. Cali, I would like to see even one example of somebody on here saying we are too good to do one and dones. Let alone "too many". I like a one or done, maybe couple. I think there's a consensus for this.

I don’t or the time or energy to dig through hundreds of posts, bust trust me there are many who feel this way.

Do a poll.

bb fan

I don't have to do a poll, Cali, Because I know most posters like doing a buy game. Hardly way too many don't as you say.

We need to land the next Tommy Lloyd. The recruiting pipeline he established at Zaga is one for the ages. https://www.inlander.com/spokane/zags-assistant-coach-tommy-lloyd-is-a-big-reason-the-teams-recruiting-has-gone-global/Content?oid=8684122

I met him at the Final 4 with Tom K. He could be an option for us. I can call him at the end of the year if you guys want me to.

Jsnhbe1Birds

RedBirdYogaGirl4Life said:
We need to land the next Tommy Lloyd. The recruiting pipeline he established at Zaga is one for the ages. https://www.inlander.com/spokane/zags-assistant-coach-tommy-lloyd-is-a-big-reason-the-teams-recruiting-has-gone-global/Content?oid=8684122

I met him at the Final 4 with Tom K. He could be an option for us. I can call him at the end of the year if you guys want me to.

Who is Tom K and how can he help?

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Buy games are fine, one or two. We don't need to go to the Texas Southern route and do a whole non-conference of them.

Except vs Illinois. Never agree to a buy game with them again. Home and home or forget it.

Top Bottom