Given the talent we have what would you change?

Brick

In an effort to slow down the bitching how would you change what we do/start? So throwing this out there I would start Zach and Keith plus both freshman guards and our left handed small forward who’s name escapes me at the moment. Go small, play a lot of zone. Since we are more of a greyhound team rather than a power team press and push the ball.

jamminjamarsmiley

I’d start with basics like how to ply man to man defense and understanding whats a high percentage vs low percentage shot. The whole offense should be completely thrown out the widow. Street ball isn’t going to work.

However in 7.5 years that hasn’t been an emphasis so it won’t start now.

CaliRdBrd

I’d go with 7 dudes and make the practices a gauntlet.

I’d have a “turnover chain” (ala Miami Hurricanes football) to instill pride in a shut-down, no hold barred, type of defense.

My 7...

KF
Cope
Chas
Reeves
Hillsman
Boyd

Actually, I can’t get past 6 - sorry.

DWRedbird

CaliRdBrd said:

I’d have a “turnover chain” (ala Miami Hurricanes football) to instill pride in a shut-down, no hold barred, type of defense.

My 7...

KF
Cope
Chas
Reeves
Hillsman
Boyd

Don't like Horne?
Brick said:
In an effort to slow down the bitching how would you change what we do/start? So throwing this out there I would start Zach and Keith plus both freshman guards and our left handed small forward who’s name escapes me at the moment. Go small, play a lot of zone. Since we are more of a greyhound team rather than a power team press and push the ball.

I'd run rebounding drills for at leas 30 minutes in every practice and tell the guys anyone who is not crashing the boards when in defense is running until they throw up. I'd hammer into them to avoid making silly mistakes offensively, like throwing the ball away, the dumb travels, and the moving screens, and tell them if you get one in a game, you'll be running until you throw up at the next practice. I would probably press all game as well, but the way we move our feet I'm not sure it would help.

ricohill

First thing I would do is figure out who can play and who will play hard. Stop the random rotation crap.

Second, fix the shot selection. We are one of the worst teams in the country at getting to the free throw line. That’s because we don’t drive at all. I looked it up today. We have taken the 44th most mid-range field goal attempts in the country converting, but are 128th best at making them. So we take a ton of low percentage shots and convert those at a low rate.

At the rim (post ups, layups, etc...) there are only 58 teams that have had fewer attempts at the rim than ISU despite the fact ISU is 59th in the country making those attempts. Our 3pt percentage is still high despite some off games.

I’ve said it for years under muller. Stop the street ball pull up crap. Get to the dang basket or kick out for 3s. I don’t have the time to look, but last year we shot a horrible percentage taking shots off the dribble.

Our defense is a complete disaster. There is no quick fix to that.

ricohill

DWRedbird said:
CaliRdBrd said:

My 7...

KF
Cope
Chas
Reeves
Hillsman
Boyd

Don't like Horne?
Brick said:

I'd run rebounding drills for at leas 30 minutes in every practice and tell the guys anyone who is not crashing the boards when in defense is running until they throw up. I'd hammer into them to avoid making silly mistakes offensively, like throwing the ball away, the dumb travels, and the moving screens, and tell them if you get one in a game, you'll be running until you throw up at the next practice. I would probably press all game as well, but the way we move our feet I'm not sure it would help.

Agree on the rebounding. Looked it up, we are a terrible rebounding team.

DannyCooksey

Start Reeves, Horne and Ndiaye. Play them until they foul out or puke. For the other 2 spots play the guys that play the hardest on defense.

After that who cares.

CaliRdBrd

DWRedbird said:
CaliRdBrd said:

My 7...

KF
Cope
Chas
Reeves
Hillsman
Boyd

Don't like Horne?

Not yet.

If you’re a D1 guard, you need to either dish or go to the hole where you can cash in on the FT’s (and an the occasional 3pt play). His FT% is absolutely brutal...probably the worst in the NCAA, for a guard. As for assists, his assist/TO ratio is very close to 1:1.

Definitely not seeing the floor if I’m the coach.

DWRedbird

CaliRdBrd said:
DWRedbird said:
CaliRdBrd said:

My 7...

KF
Cope
Chas
Reeves
Hillsman
Boyd

Don't like Horne?

Not yet.

If you’re a D1 guard, you need to either dish or go to the hole where you can cash in on the FT’s (and an the occasional 3pt play). His FT% is absolutely brutal...probably the worst in the NCAA, for a guard. As for assists, his assist/TO ratio is very close to 1:1.

To be fair in his FT % he has only shot 7 FTs, I'm not saying his % would be different with more, but I'd give him a shot at it. I'd play him, especially to develop him, though I'd tell him to drive it more and get the floaters he is good at go. Agree he needs to work on his passing if he is going to play point for us.

DaveBird10

Starting lineup
Idowu
Fisher
Copeland
Reeves
Horne

Bench
Abdou
Chastain
Donnelly
Beard.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

B

BirdGrad2011

CaliRdBrd said:
DWRedbird said:
CaliRdBrd said:

My 7...

KF
Cope
Chas
Reeves
Hillsman
Boyd

Don't like Horne?

Not yet.

Hornes numbers aren’t far off from Paris’ freshman year in 12 less minutes per game. Not predicting that he’ll end up like Paris, but let’s not write him off in any way.

CaliRdBrd

DaveBird10 said:
Starting lineup
Idowu
Fisher
Copeland
Reeves
Horne

Bench
Abdou
Chastain
Donnelly
Beard.

I'm going to continue to be hard on Idowu... He has no reason not to be averaging double digit rebounds.

DaveBird10

CaliRdBrd said:
DaveBird10 said:
Starting lineup
Idowu
Fisher
Copeland
Reeves
Horne

Bench
Abdou
Chastain
Donnelly
Beard.

I'm going to continue to be hard on Idowu... He has no reason not to be averaging double digit rebounds.
I agree with you there. What's so darn frustrating is Idowu gets career high in points in 2 straight games and 7 boards then nothing nothing yesterday. Same with Horne. He has has 13, 13, 14 points then nothing in 2 straight games. So frustrating.

Rocket Man

I think that a good place to start would be for Dan to announce that he's not going to shave until his team makes the NCAA tournament. I think that would show a strong commitment to his players, staff and the fans. From there we'll see how the rest of the season grows.

#ItHurtsToStepOnYourBeard

CaliRdBrd

Rocket Man said:
I think that a good place to start would be for Dan to announce that he's not going to shave until his team makes the NCAA tournament. I think that would show a strong commitment to his players, staff and the fans. From there we'll see how the rest of the season grows.

#ItHurtsToStepOnYourBeard

ZZ Top immediately comes to mind.

Bird Friend

jamminjamarsmiley said:
I’d start with basics like how to ply man to man defense and understanding whats a high percentage vs low percentage shot. The whole offense should be completely thrown out the widow. Street ball isn’t going to work.

However in 7.5 years that hasn’t been an emphasis so it won’t start now.

If you're gonna talk ply, then you have to involve TPguy in the discussion.

Bird Friend

CaliRdBrd said:
DWRedbird said:
CaliRdBrd said:

My 7...

KF
Cope
Chas
Reeves
Hillsman
Boyd

Don't like Horne?

Not yet.

Nothing like making your opinions about free throws on a small sample size . . . Horne is 3-7 . . . so he hasn't shot enough to be call the worst in the NCAA. Also, you have no PG in your group. Guess you don't actually care about ball handling. And before you say Reeves can handle it, he was supposed to play the point in the Paradise Jam. How'd that work out? He wasn't 't ready . . . at all.

As for his A/TO ratio, nice cop out on the stats. You make it sound like he turns the ball over as often as he finds assists. He actually does a really good job of not turning the ball over. Only 7 turnovers thru 12 games. From a ball handling standpoint, he's one of the better options on the team. He does need to work on dishing more often rather than taking the jumper, I'll grant you that.

Bird Friend

CaliRdBrd said:
DaveBird10 said:
Starting lineup
Idowu
Fisher
Copeland
Reeves
Horne

Bench
Abdou
Chastain
Donnelly
Beard.

Double digits on rebounds? The last player to average 10+ boards per game was Jeff Wilkins. The last sophomore to average 10+ was Ron DeVries. So, no he's not going to average double digits in rebounds.

Bird Friend

DaveBird10 said:
CaliRdBrd said:
DaveBird10 said:
Starting lineup
Idowu
Fisher
Copeland
Reeves
Horne

Bench
Abdou
Chastain
Donnelly
Beard.

I agree with you there. What's so darn frustrating is Idowu gets career high in points in 2 straight games and 7 boards then nothing nothing yesterday. Same with Horne. He has has 13, 13, 14 points then nothing in 2 straight games. So frustrating.

Guys have to be willing to get him the ball in order for him to score. Also, against UTSA, he led the team in assists.

CaliRdBrd

Bird Friend said:
CaliRdBrd said:
DWRedbird said:
Don't like Horne?

Not yet.

Nothing like making your opinions about free throws on a small sample size . . . Horne is 3-7 . . . so he hasn't shot enough to be call the worst in the NCAA. Also, you have no PG in your group. Guess you don't actually care about ball handling. And before you say Reeves can handle it, he was supposed to play the point in the Paradise Jam. How'd that work out? He wasn't 't ready . . . at all.

As for his A/TO ratio, nice cop out on the stats. You make it sound like he turns the ball over as often as he finds assists. He actually does a really good job of not turning the ball over. Only 7 turnovers thru 12 games. From a ball handling standpoint, he's one of the better options on the team. He does need to work on dishing more often rather than taking the jumper, I'll grant you that.

I don’t care what the sample size is, 3/7 is horseshit and a telling sign. We’ll see come seasons’ end and maybe I’ll have to do a Mea Culpa, but I doubt it.
As for the assists. He averages about 1 TO/game but also only ONE assist/game. Sounds to me like he’s not as aggressive as he needs to be. If he was, he’d have more foul shots and more assists.

Top Bottom