Game today vs UIS at 2pm

Birdswin

I am going - but what a piss poor game time - I am expecting 2,500-3,000 people. I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Rollbirds

I'm going too. There was no game thread posted so so I didn't know if anyone cared.

Adunk33

Staff member
Rey didn’t start. We’re attacking the hoop a lot more. Decent crowd at RBA, not much energy in the building. 11 guys have played for ISU.

Bird Friend

Too many turnovers. Am guessing we’re seeing a lot of Lijah because we’re playing UIS. Fisher leads with 8 pts. 4-4 from the line.

Redbird222

Halftime observations ... the beer line on the south end is much shorter than NE side. Dippin Dot line is out of control.

Go birds!!

V Boy

Watching this UIS game. A few comments:

-This is ISUs least athletic team in a while. Only Boyd and Horne have quick feet. Everyone else is average or below average.

-Copeland is not a good enough player to play the way he does. Way too much 1on1 ball. He is less athletic than UIS top player and I actually think it is affecting his game. Like he needs to show him up or something. It’s weird.

-defensively we are not good. We are ok. Not good. A little better than last year. Nobody blocks out. Help defense is decent.

Bird Friend

I was going to comment on Muller’s postgame comments but realize that’s a worthless effort. If I say he was positive, many will say he’s delusional. If I say he was critical of their play, many will say it’s Dan’s fault the players didn’t play better.

So I’ll just say he had comments.

Birdfriend72

Bird Friend said:
I was going to comment on Muller’s postgame comments but realize that’s a worthless effort. If I say he was positive, many will say he’s delusional. If I say he was critical of their play, many will say it’s Dan’s fault the players didn’t play better.

I will tell you how boring this game was...

7/42 from 3 point range combined!

CaliRdBrd

Birdfriend72 said:
Bird Friend said:

I will tell you how boring this game was...

7/42 from 3 point range combined!

Jesus! Please tell me the Redbirds were 7/7:)

Adunk33

Staff member
Hank Beard was really fun to watch. High defensive energy and effort. Glad he got a bucket.

We made a concentrated effort to get more paint touches and drive more to the bucket.

Shot and made more free throws.

I think this game was in part treated like an exhibition. Donnelly got a bunch of minutes to play against his old team. Mostly motion offense. No full court press. Typical game against a D2.

We need to be better at catching the ball.

Redbird222

V Boy said:
Watching this UIS game. A few comments:

-This is ISUs least athletic team in a while. Only Boyd and Horne have quick feet. Everyone else is average or below average.

-Copeland is not a good enough player to play the way he does. Way too much 1on1 ball. He is less athletic than UIS top player and I actually think it is affecting his game. Like he needs to show him up or something. It’s weird.

-defensively we are not good. We are ok. Not good. A little better than last year. Nobody blocks out. Help defense is decent.
I think we switch way too much on defense .. especially at the top of the key. You can hear the defender calling it off the ball whether the defender needed help or not. It creates mismatches both down low at the top of the key.

I would not say this team is the least athletic team by any means. I actually think last year's team wins hand down that award. I do agree there are players that lack lateral quickness ... Hillsman and Rey stand out. We have some leapers and we have some players that are physically strong but we are short on lateral quickness.

FT shooting was nice to see and hopefully will be the new trend.

I agree with Adunk ... catch the damn ball and grab the rebound ... it's right there.

I know many folks are high on Reeves but his defense needs to get better. He is sometimes put of position and gets beat off the dribble. I do think he can rebound though. Horne was impressive today. I know it was D2 team but he definitely shows signs.

Torres looked careless today and uninspired. Dan alluded in post game there were starters that did not play well. I am assuming he was referring to Torres, Hillsman and possibly Chastain. All have had better games.

While every game there are players that step up which speaks to our depth, we need a more consistent effort collectively which will ultimately be one of the keys to success (or lack of).

Top Bottom