Game 1: Jefferson and Braden Price

fourthandshort

I realize it was just Butler, but couple comments on offense and defense.

Offense averaged 8.6 yards per carry and 22 yards per catch .. eye popping, though it was Butler. Bryce Jefferson had very Roberson like numbers early in his 2014-15 season ... so so completion % but great QBR at 181 .. some posters mentioned there were couple easy drops. So it could have been even higher.

1630944039197.png
Defensively, not so good .. gave up 18 first downs, 9 of 18 on 3rd down, plus 1 of 2 on 4th down. They got 75 plays and 37 mins TOP. Granted we did get 3 picks ... but that also means we had hard time getting off field if not for those 3 picks. And got just 3 TFLs and 1 sack. Our defense needed to do way better against this level of team.

Individually on defense ... who the heck is Safety Braden Price ?? RS FR led in solo Tackles with 5, tied for total tackles with 7, had 1 of 3 TFLs which was our only Sack, plus had 2 of our 3 picks. Again, this was just Butler ... but did anyone see him emerging and is he legit ? If so, we are set at Safety with RS FR Price and SO Isbell.

Do these numbers reflect what the game looked and played like as team and for the 2 individuals ?? I couldnt watch game.

Total Red

Staff member
Price is a cornerback, disregard the Go Redbirds roster. Jackson and Price starting corners, I. Brown and Isbell at the safeties. Butler might have gone after Price because he was the least experienced. but this is his 3rd season here. He's had plenty of practice time. I wasn't disappointed in the defense. Butler moved the ball with quick slants and other short passes. I credit Butler with accurate throws and good catches. Those are tough to defend against anybody. They did get some yardage, but if throw 30 times you're likely to make some mistakes and they did. The 'Birds got 3 INT's and only gave up 7 pts. I'll take that.

Total Red

Staff member
Can you please add a few more decimal places to those stats. I don't feel like I'm getting the complete picture. It's the 15th and 16th decimal place that really tells the story.

MadBird

4thandshort - time of possession, ISU scored 7 TD's, and the longest time of possession was 3:41. One score was after a 13 second possession, and another 1:24. So, they had the TOP edge because we were scoring quick and giving the ball back. Other than Butler's 10 minute drive (really frustrating to watch), they had a couple 5 minute drives (one ending on downs and the other Price's pick) and no other drives over 2 minutes. 11 possessions, 5 three and outs, 2 six and outs.

So, really, the D got off the field pretty good, you could argue.

fourthandshort

Can you please add a few more decimal places to those stats. I don't feel like I'm getting the complete picture. It's the 15th and 16th decimal place that really tells the story.
I tried to get more, but my monitor wasnt big enough so had to settle for this. So we were both disappointed 😞

fourthandshort

4thandshort - time of possession, ISU scored 7 TD's, and the longest time of possession was 3:41. One score was after a 13 second possession, and another 1:24. So, they had the TOP edge because we were scoring quick and giving the ball back. Other than Butler's 10 minute drive (really frustrating to watch), they had a couple 5 minute drives (one ending on downs and the other Price's pick) and no other drives over 2 minutes. 11 possessions, 5 three and outs, 2 six and outs.

So, really, the D got off the field pretty good, you could argue.
I do get that point when offense scores quick with lot of big chunk plays and impact on TOP. But the issue i had statistically was 3rd and 4th down defense was bad, and if not for 3 picks, they would have likely had more 1st downs.

May turn out Butler had decent offense. But 50% 3rd down defense against bad team doesnt look good out of gate.

Top Bottom