Fun Fair Scrimmage

Total Red

Staff member
It continues to amaze me that we were rocked with player graduation/departures at RB and LB and I think we're stronger than we were last year at both positions.

I haven't given LB'er Kelly-Martin his due so let me take care of that right now. I could tell that he was definitely one of our more athletic LB'ers but up until now I hadn't seen his productivity match his potential. It did this afternoon. Kelly-Martin was one of several Redbird defenders that were just too fast for the Redbird offense and KM came across the line and busted up plays before they could develop.

Robinson had the best run for a deep RB group. We've got to take Kielbasa seriously too. He continues to impress. He's a beast that can really move the pile and when he gets an open lane he isn't slow.
We need great depth at RB, We've got it.

Overall the defense continues to outplay the offense. The scrimmage was even designed to help get points on the board. Instead of 1's on 1's the #1 offense went against the #2 defense and a touch tackle on Jake was ignored so a pass completion could stand.

I wouldn't give the offense extra help. They can grow up on their own. Our talented offensive backfield should erupt against Butler and we'll build from there.

There's a silver lining to the ferocious pass rush our QB's have faced this August. They've all been forced to find their target and release the ball quickly. If they can make the pressured throws then the full pocket protected passes will be easy. I think Jake is definitely better than last year but with 4 new starters on the O-Line his stats may not improve. I know Fourth will be pleased that TE Petkovich has followed up a strong spring with a strong August. The TE position may be back in play.

New names? I like the rookie QB Hatfield - a lot. He throws crisp and accurate passes with a quick release. He looks surprisingly comfortable for a true frosh and I see why they thought he was a potential safety. He's fast. He didn't get to show his full speed on his QB keeper TD run but he made a nice move to finish it. Size may have been the only thing keeping him from getting a P5 offer. He doesn't look real big. 6'2 may be generous but like Jake he'll fill out his frame over time and get stronger. Great get.

#BeatButler

Birdswin

Good Report TR - sounds like things are shaping up and will be ready to roll come September.

I think those first two road games will be huge - if we win those, we will be off and rolling - if we struggle and/or lose one - might be a replay of last year. I am hoping for either 8-1 or 9-0 going into those last two games. That would be sweet!!!!!

JHBird

I agree about Kielbasa. I saw him move the pile and was surprised it was him. Tough runner.

fourthandshort

thanks for report out TR .. agree our LB group will be better this year, once they get a few games under their belt. .. the depth and size are very impressive. I copied our LB roster group on AGS and several posters commented o how close our LBers are to NFL size .. granted unproven at this point.

RB will be hard to tell initially .. we have a much weaker early schedule than last year amd mostly new OL. But agree and do like who we have a lot .. hoping to see a smaller/quicker/faster back emerge as change of pace guy .. lke Artis Henderson or Muhammed-Rogers .... right now we have bigger power backs though with very good agility for their size. But OL needs to give them some help getting out of backfield.

Waitng to see how well conditioned and healthy Robinson/Smith are before declaring them game breaker types. But I v

But here is the good news ... think about how much easier defensively our schedule is this year, especially earlier in season. Last year we played Northwestern, NDSU and YSU in first half and we eally struggled with sacks and turnovers. So not only did SOS schedule flip to move all the better teams later, but it is notably less difficult opposition defenses .. EIU should slip, NAU (weak defense) replaces Northwestern, YSU lost 7 starters from their gtreat defense, USD was weak and lost a lot, and again no UNI on schedule. NDSU will be tougher on defense, along with WIU and possibly MoST. BUt they rest will be same owr weaker on defense.

This is why I say it wil lbe hard to tell how good our offense is .. but schedule could not lay out any better for developing our OL.

ISUBU

It's great that we have good size and athleticism. But we also need the players to know their assignments and how to react to different situations. Some of the sacks last year were more related to blown blocking assignments from a running back rather than the line. So we need RBs who can run the ball, catch a pass, demand attention when they don't have the ball, and block dependably when that's the assignment.

On the Defensive side we have size and talent all over the place. If they understand the plan and their assignments, I expect us to be very good.

The g.p.a.s are showing that the team has some brainpower and mental discipline. Let's see it translated to the field.

Sanantoniobird

ISUBU said:
It's great that we have good size and athleticism. But we also need the players to know their assignments and how to react to different situations. Some of the sacks last year were more related to blown blocking assignments from a running back rather than the line. So we need RBs who can run the ball, catch a pass, demand attention when they don't have the ball, and block dependably when that's the assignment.

On the Defensive side we have size and talent all over the place. If they understand the plan and their assignments, I expect us to be very good.

The g.p.a.s are showing that the team has some brainpower and mental discipline. Let's see it translated to the field.

Agreed. I'm not sure anyone was worried about an option to the FB last year, evidenced by our > 3 sack/gm. This is a great comment ISUBU...let hope we have guys with the speed and skill to make their assignment AND to make a legal block in the backfield if the situation changes.

TIMMY

The defense looks deep and great.
The skill guys are all above average.
As the Oline goes, the team goes.

No pressure on that group. ;)