Frustration

Retire 12

I believe this fan base is unjustly putting 20 years of frustration on 1 teams shoulders. Which is bull crap.

It's not this teams fault we've lost multiple MVC finals in the past decade. This team didn't get locked out of Richardson's locker room. This team wasn't the one to sit, praying to the TV on Selection Sunday and be the first team left out not many years ago. This team hasn't lost players due to transfers or decommits, and hasn't endured coaches leaving to be a coach in waiting elsewhere.

It wasn't this team, yet the frustration from those years is being channeled into the negativity on some of the past few threads and I'm sick of it. It's completely unfair to these Birds, right now, who have CHOSEN TO WEAR THE REDBIRD across their chest.

This team, right now, hasn't failed to make the NCAA Tournament, so why are we acting like they have?

Get behind them, or get out. Either way, if I see the same negativity being spewed, you'll be instantly foe'd by myself from here on out. I'm done with it.

birdlife

right with you.

6-3. losses to Belmont, GA and SDSU. 3 very good squads. still some tough tests left in the non-con. looking forward to getting guys healthy/confident and hitting the conference slate with laser focus.

4thRowRedbird

100% agree. I think we all know that it’s win in STL or nothing this year. So why not get behind this team and as a fan base show up and support them and show them the community is behind them. 6,200 fans for SDST coming in to town is pathetic. Especially following an exciting win over BYU.

Brick

I don’t know what’s wrong with our base. Even during Smithson/Donewald years in the old stadium we rarely sold out. But above poster is right. Not this teams fault. Gotta hang with them until the are fully healthy.

ISU FAN 1

birdlife said:
right with you.

6-3. losses to Belmont, GA and SDSU. 3 very good squads. still some tough tests left in the non-con. looking forward to getting guys healthy/confident and hitting the conference slate with laser focus.

I hope for more than beating the underdogs and losing to the favorites. Favorites and underdogs are great for the games played on paper. But teams actually play the games to find out who’s better. We’ve beat a couple of small favorites, so that’s something positive. If we can beat Ole Miss, I’ll be pretty happy with 2 of 3 in the BYU, SDST, Ole Miss trio of games. The chances for an at large in any future season seem pretty remote to me. Winning the BYU, SDST, Ole Miss type games are important to raise the stature of our program, to make an at large a reasonable possibility.

bb fan

Some great points there, Retire 12 (I have always liked your screen name). Some here are being way, way too hard on our current team. Yep, it has been frustrating. It's not easy, by any means to be a Redbird fan. We have had some excellent teams, players and coaches, As I just posted in another thread, We are no where near a losing program. Some very good, entertaining teams. Lots of near misses in championship tourney games, and a couple outright snubs. And for any non P5 team things have become near impossible for an at large since 2006.

Can we please cut this team and coaches some slack? Can we all be Redbird fans?

Brick

50 to 75 ok. 20 and in sucked. Reference #14 Hit 80 short wedges on east practice green awhile ago. Hopefully get better. I am fanatic I guessed

birdlife

ISU FAN 1 said:
birdlife said:
right with you.

I hope for more than beating the underdogs and losing to the favorites. Favorites and underdogs are great for the games played on paper. But teams actually play the games to find out who’s better. We’ve beat a couple of small favorites, so that’s something positive. If we can beat Ole Miss, I’ll be pretty happy with 2 of 3 in the BYU, SDST, Ole Miss trio of games. The chances for an at large in any future season seem pretty remote to me. Winning the BYU, SDST, Ole Miss type games are important to raise the stature of our program, to make an at large a reasonable possibility.

ok, after re-reading it, my post may have sounded like i was not upset that we lost those 3 games, or that i thought we never had any chance of winning them in the first place. my mistake...
we all hope for more. why else would we be posting here?

RedbirdMan

bb fan said:
Some great points there, Retire 12 (I have always liked your screen name). Some here are being way, way too hard on our current team. Yep, it has been frustrating. It's not easy, by any means to be a Redbird fan. We have had some excellent teams, players and coaches, As I just posted in another thread, We are no where near a losing program. Some very good, entertaining teams. Lots of near misses in championship tourney games, and a couple outright snubs. And for any non P5 team things have become near impossible for an at large since 2006.

Can we please cut this team and coaches some slack? Can we all be Redbird fans?

No

Redbirdwarrior

Still 6-3. I don't really understand why everyone is freaking out.

As a person who was there for Porter's tenure in Normal, we wouldn't expect 6 wins till mid January.

Brick

9 games into the season with injury riddled roster and some have already assumed the season is over predicting failure CBI etc Personally I really believe that when we get our two injured bigs back this will be a good team. Kool aid? Perhaps! But I am willing to give this team time. The non conference schedule has been somewhat difficult but will only help come conference time. I submit no facts, just opinion.

birdballfan

Retire 12 said:
I believe this fan base is unjustly putting 20 years of frustration on 1 teams shoulders. Which is bull crap.

It's not this teams fault we've lost multiple MVC finals in the past decade. This team didn't get locked out of Richardson's locker room. This team wasn't the one to sit, praying to the TV on Selection Sunday and be the first team left out not many years ago. This team hasn't lost players due to transfers or decommits, and hasn't endured coaches leaving to be a coach in waiting elsewhere.

It wasn't this team, yet the frustration from those years is being channeled into the negativity on some of the past few threads and I'm sick of it. It's completely unfair to these Birds, right now, who have CHOSEN TO WEAR THE REDBIRD across their chest.

This team, right now, hasn't failed to make the NCAA Tournament, so why are we acting like they have?

Get behind them, or get out. Either way, if I see the same negativity being spewed, you'll be instantly foe'd by myself from here on out. I'm done with it.

I agree with you Andy! I can't understand why some on here don't just become Duke or Kentucky (or insert top 20 team of your choice) fans instead of constantly pissing and moaning about our redbirds??? I have been a dyed in the wool bird fan since the early 70's and will be until I'm gone and I'm not even a ISU grad. Have had season tics for many years. We unfortunately will probably never be one of those teams but who knows. Regardless I will continue to support the Redbirds regardless. GO REDBIRDS!

Chi-bird

I agree that it is not this team's fault that we haven't danced for 20 years, and they don't deserve to be held accountable for the past 2 decades of coming up short. That said, if they win the tourney in St. Louis, they will also not be deserving of the heightened level of celebration ad adulation that will surely come their way.,

TIMMY

Retire 12 said:

This. You've always had perspective many lack. Thanks.

ISU FAN 1

Any evidence the guys on this team are carrying the burden of the 20+ year drought? I’m not laying that at their feet, and even if there was a perception of that, is that really impacting their play? Our current guys can own the years they contributed to, and that should be self motivating enough.

CaliRdBrd

Brick said:
9 games into the season with injury riddled roster and some have already assumed the season is over predicting failure CBI etc Personally I really believe that when we get our two injured bigs back this will be a good team. Kool aid? Perhaps! But I am willing to give this team time. The non conference schedule has been somewhat difficult but will only help come conference time. I submit no facts, just opinion.
None of the starters are injured, so that’s weak sauce.

6-3 is not great consdering who we’ve played. Belmont may be good (too soon to tell), but we’ll find out when they play UCLA and Purdue. SDSU is rebuilding and Georgia is a low tier SEC team ( with huge losses to Ga State, and Clemson).

Clearly there are two camps on RBF...

Those who are content to root for the team simply because of their ties to the university, regardless of success, and those who are sick of no meaningful postseason games.
To me it’s a healthy balance and creates lively discussion. In other words, I see no need for us to force everyone into one camp or another.

gobirds72

CaliRdBrd said:
Brick said:

6-3 is not great consdering who we’ve played. Belmont may be good (too soon to tell), but we’ll find out when they play UCLA and Purdue. SDSU is rebuilding and Georgia is a low tier SEC team ( with huge losses to Ga State, and Clemson).

Those who are content to root for the team simply because of their ties to the university, regardless of success, and those who are sick of no meaningful postseason games.
To me it’s a healthy balance and creates lively discussion. In other words, I see no need for us to force everyone into one camp or another.

I agree. That’s why we only have 4500 on average in the stands. I will alway be a fan...and attend games. But, I’m done padding the pockets of those that aren’t as competive as me.

Jsnhbe1Birds

CaliRdBrd said:
Brick said:

:text-+1:

Another problem is the old guard have a sense of entitlement since they have been here longer and feel they can dictate what should be on the message board. I agree that the message board is more fun with differing viewpoints. A bunch of guys agreeing is just a frat party.

Bird Friend

CaliRdBrd said:
Brick said:

I don't like camping.

Top Bottom