Foreign Players and NIL

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
“He's literally going to be retweeting content. There's no way that can be deemed as work,” said Next Up founder Ryan Cook, who has also explored holding payments in escrow or becoming an administrator of Alajiki’s social media account and publishing that way.
Yeah no kidding. That's the problem with the whole entire thing.

Bird Friend

Antonio Reeves get $300k and a car . . . Oscar Tshiebwe (by far the better player) gets nada . . . yeah, there's something wrong there

DWRedbird

Antonio Reeves get $300k and a car . . . Oscar Tshiebwe (by far the better player) gets nada . . . yeah, there's something wrong there
Tshiebwe is going to make about 2 million in NIL deals per the article below.

Tshiebwe NIL Deal

In February, the Democratic Republic of the Congo native announced that he was finally allowed to take advantage of NIL deals after clearing some hurdles regarding his F1 student visa.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Day traders just click a mouse all day, too. Is that not work, either? Both ostensibly create value. This is a tough hair to split…
If they are good at it they have knowledge. I can't be a day trader. I don't have the knowledge about stocks and such to do that. So I shouldn't get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for it.

Again, don't confuse the fact that I agree players should get paid if a school or business wants to use their face or name to promote things. His name in a video game? Pay him. Be in a commercial or on a billboard? Pay him. Retweet some promotional content? Ehhhhhh come on now.

DWRedbird

If they are good at it they have knowledge. I can't be a day trader. I don't have the knowledge about stocks and such to do that. So I shouldn't get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for it.

Again, don't confuse the fact that I agree players should get paid if a school or business wants to use their face or name to promote things. His name in a video game? Pay him. Be in a commercial or on a billboard? Pay him. Retweet some promotional content? Ehhhhhh come on now.

I mean this is kind of the social media version of a commercial for that product and giving his endorsement. Its not a lot different really than if someone gave him copy to read and he read like 3 lines on the radio and then the radio played it 100 times.

dpdoughbird06

I’m with you, Quinn. These collectives are bending over to ensure that players have to perform as little work or deliver as little value as possible for their sizable consideration.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Chances are it's not even the player doing the tweeting. Probably just turning over their account to a social media person.

So literally getting paid to play. They play, therefore people following them on social media and some business uses that to promote themselves using their name. The player probably has no idea what is even being posted to social media or what they are promoting.

cubird

Some foreign students have a hard time getting their green card to legally get paid.

Top Bottom