Flohoops (Flosports)

RBFANTOO

A proposed class action alleges subscription streaming service FloSports has broken the law by routinely taking money out of consumers’ bank accounts without written authorization.

The 35-page complaint alleges Austin, Texas-based FloSports, who offers live and on-demand access to a wide variety of competitions across “25+ vertical sports categories,” has violated the federal Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA) by initiating preauthorized electronic funds transfers from consumers’ bank accounts without consent and without providing a copy of the purported written authorization to those who were charged.

The case also accuses FloSports of violating New York’s Automatic Renewal Law, which requires a company offering an automatically renewing subscription service to clearly and conspicuously provide the terms of the automatic renewal offer, obtain consent, and offer an easy-to-use mechanism for canceling the contract, among other mandates.

More specifically, the plaintiff, a Tonawanda, New York resident, alleges that at the FloSports subscription checkout screen, consumers are misled into believing that they are signing up for a service for which they will be charged a monthly fee, only to discover that they were charged a substantially higher annual fee. Further, the suit claims FloSports is able to unilaterally charge customers renewal fees without their consent, as it possesses their billing information.

According to the suit, FloSports has “concocted a scheme” to charge sports fans on a yearly basis, without requisite consent or disclosures and “in reliance on consumer confusion,” as many subscribers believe they are agreeing to a monthly service that can be canceled at any time.

DougSutton

A proposed class action alleges subscription streaming service FloSports has broken the law by routinely taking money out of consumers’ bank accounts without written authorization.

The 35-page complaint alleges Austin, Texas-based FloSports, who offers live and on-demand access to a wide variety of competitions across “25+ vertical sports categories,” has violated the federal Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA) by initiating preauthorized electronic funds transfers from consumers’ bank accounts without consent and without providing a copy of the purported written authorization to those who were charged.

The case also accuses FloSports of violating New York’s Automatic Renewal Law, which requires a company offering an automatically renewing subscription service to clearly and conspicuously provide the terms of the automatic renewal offer, obtain consent, and offer an easy-to-use mechanism for canceling the contract, among other mandates.

More specifically, the plaintiff, a Tonawanda, New York resident, alleges that at the FloSports subscription checkout screen, consumers are misled into believing that they are signing up for a service for which they will be charged a monthly fee, only to discover that they were charged a substantially higher annual fee. Further, the suit claims FloSports is able to unilaterally charge customers renewal fees without their consent, as it possesses their billing information.

According to the suit, FloSports has “concocted a scheme” to charge sports fans on a yearly basis, without requisite consent or disclosures and “in reliance on consumer confusion,” as many subscribers believe they are agreeing to a monthly service that can be canceled at any time.
Appreciate the reminder to cancel my account. I just cancelled my subscription and checked my credit card and was only charged $29.99. Regarding the misleading subscription process, they definitely give you the default option for an annual subscription and I've learned to be very careful when signing up for any SAAS platform. I just took this screenshot after cancelling. It was an easy process.

Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 11.57.49 AM.png

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
They definitely default to the year subscription at checkout rather than the monthly one. But, just pay attention and you're fine. I don't think it warrants a law suit, but walking down the street can warrant a law suit any more.

Adunk33

Staff member
Honestly, this feels pretty common with subscription services defaulting to the "best value," for the customer. Instead of paying $29.99 for one month, you can pay $12.99 a month for a year! It's a marketing thing that showing a consumer a lower number will get them to take that route though in the end, they'll be paying 5x more throughout the year, but hey, in their minds, they've saved on monthly cost.

Similarly to how coupons work. If you save 15% on something you never intended to buy if you didn't have a coupon, you didn't save money, you spent $$$ with the company that you otherwise wouldn't have.

ChiRedbirdfan

They definitely default to the year subscription at checkout rather than the monthly one. But, just pay attention and you're fine. I don't think it warrants a law suit, but walking down the street can warrant a law suit any more.
Respectively disagree. Why should it default to what is most advantageous to the company? It is the company’s website and it should be designed fairly to the consumer/customers. The company could have easily had a no default and forced the consumer to pick an option. The company chose the path to try to take advantage of some consumers. And you are right Quinn this is a fairly common scheme.

Redbird Alum 2004

What's funny is in the app it showed subscription was not setup to renew. Went to the website and it was and had to cancel it there. Tricky flosports... Tricky

Chicagobirdfan

Wow good call redbird. I went to app and assumed I had cancelled already when I’m reality like you said I had to go to Website. Definitely a little sketchy

Top Bottom