FGCU Season Opener

Metamoron

Someone needs to start thread. I will volunteer since I am season ticket holder for both teams (live in Ft Myers area).

FGCU has new coach and a lot of team turnover. Lost 3 seniors, a grad transfer, another left team, etc. have a couple very good returning shooters and two grad transfers. One a lanky point guard from Marquette. New coach was top assistant last year, but they will play a totally different brand of ball. I think a lot of press and up and down the court. They did not play an exhibition and I have not heard much about any scrimmages.

I think we should win. We are more talented and deeper. The exhibitions will help. I think they will be better by end of year, but last year they got a break playing us in first game, this year we are getting a break playing them in first game.

We can all complain about schedules all we want but check out theirs sometime. Multiple D2 and NAIA teams on regular season schedule. Despite that they play Michigan State and Florida.

I think we win by 10 in a high scoring sloppy game.

Go Redbirds. I will be wearing RED to watch the game.

Brick

Hey Metamoron. I kept my season tickets but live in winter Haven! Thank heaven for espn3 and plus! 🤪

rdt99

WE have to improve our perimeter defense. Giving up 74 to Augustana is outragious.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
rdt99 said:
WE have to improve our perimeter defense. Giving up 74 to Augustana is outragious.

I didn't see the game, but was the pace part of that? We held them to 38% shooting overall while we shot 59.6%. Also if we were bad in man, I don't see us playing much man this year. HCDM has already said we will play a lot of zone.

Phantom

Limit turnovers. Hit free throws. Win the game.

Redbirds 77
Eagles 66

BTbird

You guys have me rattled from the Augie thread with our perimeter defense. I'm hoping the lack of defense was because it was a scrimmage.

ISU - 80
FGCU - 75

Lets Go!

Jsnhbe1Birds

I'd be more concerned with fouls and turnovers than 3D. Auggie was only in it because they took their foot off the gas in an exhibition against a division three school and piddled around allowing Auggie to make 3's. I'm not going to hold that against them if they don't do it in the regular season.

ricohill

Don't see a lot of defense being played in this game. Will be interesting to see who plays for FGCU. I believe they lost their top 3 scorers from last year, but bring in Haanif Cheatham a Marquette transfer.

ISU - 85
FGCU - 80

Flagship08

isuquinndog said:
rdt99 said:

I didn't see the game, but was the pace part of that? We held them to 38% shooting overall while we shot 59.6%. Also if we were bad in man, I don't see us playing much man this year. HCDM has already said we will play a lot of zone.

The Pantagraph article said we got killed in zone and then shut them down when we switched to man (that's when we went on our run to finish the first half). Which makes sense, they aren't as big and athletic as us and the three point shot is the best way to defeat the zone.

DannyCooksey

I think we win by 10.

I trust that our seniors understand what's at stake this year and they will be ready to play every game. I believe that to be the case until they prove otherwise.

I'll say

Birds 89
FGCU 79

Fayne 21
Tinsley 17
Copeland 15
MY 13

DoubleDeuce

Hate to be a Debbie Downer but...If we lose this one we aren't going undefeated.

Hamdonger

Just speculating but with all our perimeter play and the attention it might gather...Fayne might very well lead us in scoring for the season. Not that he's a pure scorer cause he's not, but because of all the energy around the basket that he provides, particularly offensive rebounding with a putback.

If he can hit free throws at a 70% clip, I think it's reasonable to say he will lead us in scoring.

Adunk33

Staff member
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
DoubleDeuce said:
Hate to be a Debbie Downer but...If we lose this one we aren't going undefeated.

the math doesn't add up.

"You can't lose, and still win games." - Trent Dilfer

Redbirdwarrior

isuquinndog said:
rdt99 said:

If I'm seeing the details through this board, it looks like we were up almost 20 and then started playing "prevent" defense, which never works. Couple that with guys getting hot from deep and they ended up dropping 74, but I could just as easy have seen them dropping 62 if a few of those 3s weren't dead on target.

ricohill

Redbirdwarrior said:
isuquinndog said:
rdt99 said:

If I'm seeing the details through this board, it looks like we were up almost 20 and then started playing "prevent" defense, which never works. Couple that with guys getting hot from deep and they ended up dropping 74, but I could just as easy have seen them dropping 62 if a few of those 3s weren't dead on target.

We were also subbing in a ton of different lineups, while Augustana was was playing it's regular rotation of players. I'm sure if we played a normal rotation it would have made a big difference.

My concern is can this team be consistent all year in every game the entire game. The quote that stood out in the Pantagraph today was, "ISU must become more consistent after losing five league games by at least 11 points, including getting routed by 25 points at Drake and 30 at Indiana State."

The talent is there to have a great year, but can we play at a high level all year?

I expect us to play well tomorrow and excited to have the real games start.

Redbirdwarrior

Yeah, I'm with you. HCDM has to make tough choices from day one on who is going to eat the most minutes. We tried that "feel around" noise last year, but only got decent after setting our standard starting 5 and 3 players off the bench. Trying to find minutes for all of these guys is a fool's game and kills chemistry.

Keyshawn, Fayne, Milik and Boogie need to be on the floor as much as possible. I'm guessing the 5th man in that equation will be Copeland. Then you have Rey, JJ and I'm guessing Chastain until TB is ready to come back. You only dig out Hein and Gassman in a very rare situation and when TB gets back, probably put Chastain with them.

Find your honest rotation in practice and stick to it. Don't sub just to sub.

Top Bottom