Exhibiton Game vs IWU - not included in the Season Tickets

Birdswin

I did not know until tonight - the IWU exhibition game is NOT a part of the season tickets. All tickets are $20 and the whole arena is General Admission. That was News to me, but enough time to adjust. The Women are playing at 1:00 and the Men at 3:00 - probably closer to 3:20 or so, but it will still be just fine. Get there early - which I have No problem with.

In fact, I think they ought to make the Upper Bowl General Admission for every game. Yes, would be able to purchase a General Admission season ticket. This would also make selling tickets on the day of the game much, much easier - stop those long lines out in the cold, because the selling of tickets would not have to take the time to figure our seat location - just sell, sell, sell.

Dmills

I did not know until tonight - the IWU exhibition game is NOT a part of the season tickets. All tickets are $20 and the whole arena is General Admission. That was News to me, but enough time to adjust. The Women are playing at 1:00 and the Men at 3:00 - probably closer to 3:20 or so, but it will still be just fine. Get there early - which I have No problem with.

In fact, I think they ought to make the Upper Bowl General Admission for every game. Yes, would be able to purchase a General Admission season ticket. This would also make selling tickets on the day of the game much, much easier - stop those long lines out in the cold, because the selling of tickets would not have to take the time to figure our seat location - just sell, sell, sell.
Did you speak with an administrator? I figured this was probably the case when they sent out the season tickets and it did not include the Wesleyan game. I mean, it makes sense because it is a fundraiser and exhibitions are usually free otherwise. They initially communicated otherwise as you probably are aware. They have not clarified publicly or corrected the press release.

"Tickets for the event will go on sale on October 2, and the game ticket – all of which will be general admission – will be included in ISU season ticket packages. Event tickets cost $20 and will give entry to both games."

Birdswin

Since the Interim AD was overheard talking how she hopes the Redbird fans get to CEFCU early for the IWU game, so there is not more Green than Red in the lower bowl - that sparked my attention. Then my son told me the details - not included in the season ticket package - all tickets are $20 - all seats are General Admission. Thus, the reason for posting a thread

Reggie Redbird

Did you speak with an administrator? I figured this was probably the case when they sent out the season tickets and it did not include the Wesleyan game. I mean, it makes sense because it is a fundraiser and exhibitions are usually free otherwise. They initially communicated otherwise as you probably are aware. They have not clarified publicly or corrected the press release.

"Tickets for the event will go on sale on October 2, and the game ticket – all of which will be general admission – will be included in ISU season ticket packages. Event tickets cost $20 and will give entry to both games."
Updated to reflect that IWU game is included. I had received different information.

Exhibition games may have lots of ticket giveaways or discounts, but I do not believe the men’s exhibitions have been completely “free.“ Regardless, we have not had a good non-con home slate in a while, and season ticket holders continue to pay the same or increasing costs. Most STHs also pay required seat donations, which double (or more) the cost of tickets. It’s great to have an exhibition to support charity, but you have a department taking a game out of the STH package agin and making it a premium cost. Then the included non-con games: Lourdes, EIU, NKU (I like this one), NDSU, and SEMO. Is that slate getting fans excited? Are fans excited to pay a good chunk extra to watch us play Norfolk State?

For a family of four STHs to attend the Horton game, they’re asking for an extra $100 (minimum) on top of the outlays already made. Will people make the decision to buy those extras? To renew next year? These are some gambles, trying to cash in on nostalgia.

Murray State joining the conference takes away one of the better non-con match-ups we had. At least next year, we have SLU coming in.

Last edited:

SgtHulka

If you look to buy tickets online it shows Adult $20 under price. Nibblets are free?

Dmills

Exhibition games may have lots of ticket giveaways or discounts, but I do not believe the men’s exhibitions have been completely “free.“
I think we may be both right/wrong. I do now recall thinking it was odd we charged for exhibitions during the Muller era. I just didn't see a ton of value in paying to watch a team we should crush in a game that doesn't count. So I'm wrong to say they are usually free. However, I do believe that last year's exhibition was free though because I remember going with a group of people who would not have paid to see the exhibition and I didn't pay for them. I could still be wrong, but I think this was the case.

Redbird222

I have not received my season tickets yet but when I spoke with somyet. Last week they assured me the IWU game was included it just was general admission. When I look at my account activity it shows season tickets and a separate line for the exhibiion game which gives me some confidence that I will be getting both. Now I just need to figure why I have received either yet.

Adunk33

Staff member
I've confirmed the IWU game IS included in season ticket packages. Tickets will be sent in a separate email from your season tickets. With proceeds going towards charity, operations and logistics have to look at it differently than a traditional game. The plan is to send tickets out early next week.

Birdswin

Well, I certainly hope that is the case. I will be going over to talk later today. Just to make sure. Not that big of deal to me - I just want to know the situation - because my group is going either way. The communication on the IWU game regarding season ticket package has been rather mixed at best.

Birdswin

I had a very pleasant visit with the young people working at the ticket office. I have received all 8 season tickets - they even printed off the IWU tickets to make sure I received them at no extra charge. So, that seals it - the IWU exhibition tickets ARE INCLUDED in the season ticket package. The seating remains General Admission - which is NO issue with me. I always encourage people to arrive early.

When I go to a Cardinal game in St. Louis - I like being in my seat an hour ahead of time - finish a brat, pretzel, beer, and go to the restroom - before the game starts. Plus, getting another, ice cold frosty beer. For CEFCU Arena - that means an Empower The Nest - to support both Keg Grove and ISU Athletics.

Phantom

How are they handling the student section if the entire game is GA? Or is the student section(s) exempt from that? I mean yes, it's only an exhibition but would be nice to have some kind of student presence there. It's a tune-up game for them, too. And if IWU brings a lot of fans as they probably will, would be cool to have some noise in the building.

DougSutton

Curious why there was an allotment for a local game that's general admission...

Anyway, my tickets hit my inbox about an hour ago.
My guess is it's purely for marketing purposes so they can send to their database of ticket holders and supporters and create a call to action with a perceived sense of urgency to get tickets. I often see online webinars that literally have no limit on potential attendees use messaging like "register now to reserve your space before we sell out".

Curious what the attendance will be.

Top Bottom