Evansville Thread

Bdub777

Well, I am not sure what the record for a beat down of a D1 team is, but Evansville has to be close with their performance at Duke. It will be interesting to see what the response is on Saturday. Hope we are ready. I am disappointed at this performance in terms of the MVC reputation. I won’t criticize because I remember some games we’ve had!

McHalesNavy

I think we once again come in with our heads up our butts, much like the UIC and Chuck South games. That being said:

Birds-70
Aces-66

P2C-Boogie keeps on rolling with 13 pts/4 rebs/3 assists

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Well it was only the 7th largest margin of victory just for Duke, so I doubt it was close to any type of record.

But it was ugly.

V Boy

Think Evansville was without 3 starters, including maybe their top 2. Not sure when those guys are back. If they are all back, I would guess we would be underdogs. If they are not back, I think we are probably a 6 or 7 pt favorite.

Redbirdwarrior

Yuck. That just looks awful for the whole conference. It takes all the good that came from Moser and the Ramblers knocking off Florida and throws it in the trash.

ISU need to mess these guys up now. Of course, we aren't going after an at large, so... meh.

PurpleRedbird

Heading down for the game. I think a part of this is going to be who plays for each team.

Being an alumni, I've watched a lot of Aces game this year. My thoughts:

- If Taylor and Gibson are back, then I think UE has a better chance to be competitive. If not, I think UE is going to struggle.

- I'm not seeing anybody on the Aces who is going to be able to guard MY if he is ready to play.

- We should handle them on the boards since their size is pretty limited, especially if Haima is still out as well.

- The Aces are a good shooting team with a number of 3 point shooters. We are going to have to guard up.

- The Aces non-con was so horrible it's really hard to tell what kind of team they actually are.

My prediction would be if Taylor and Gibson play for UE.
ISU: 78
UE: 60

My prediction would be if Talyor and Gibson do not play for UE
ISU: 70
UE: 55

Baltimore Bird

Purple Redbird....Your logic seemed sound, but your scores, IMO, did not match the logic. You say we beat them by 18 with those 2 guys, but only by 15 without them. ?

I expect us to come out on fire this game....

Birds 73, Aces 55

PurpleRedbird

Baltimore Bird said:
Purple Redbird....Your logic seemed sound, but your scores, IMO, did not match the logic. You say we beat them by 18 with those 2 guys, but only by 15 without them. ?

Birds 73, Aces 55

If Taylor and Gibson are not able to play, Marty will try to slow the game down so fewer possessions for all concerned. My logic at least. If they try to play fast then they don't have the athletes to play with us and expect us to win by larger margin. Was being a bit conservative, but just can't put down my Aces losing by more than this given in my heart I will always be a Purple Ace. :D

I'll be the guy in the stands with the ISU red sweatshirt and the Aces purple hat.

Redbird222

PurpleRedbird said:
Heading down for the game. I think a part of this is going to be who plays for each team.

- If Taylor and Gibson are back, then I think UE has a better chance to be competitive. If not, I think UE is going to struggle.

- I'm not seeing anybody on the Aces who is going to be able to guard MY if he is ready to play.

- We should handle them on the boards since their size is pretty limited, especially if Haima is still out as well.

- The Aces are a good shooting team with a number of 3 point shooters. We are going to have to guard up.

- The Aces non-con was so horrible it's really hard to tell what kind of team they actually are.

I think this is a good analysis until I got to the predictions ... if Taylor and Gibb play birds win by 18. If the two don't play we win only by 15 😎

PurpleRedbird

Redbird222 said:
PurpleRedbird said:

I think this is a good analysis until I got to the predictions ... if Taylor and Gibb play birds win by 18. If the two don't play we win only by 15 [emoji41]
See above.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CB2K

Hope against hope -- since we have all been anticipating the return of our big men -- but if David or Christian return we will have the size needed to dominate this game. If not, at least our reserves that have been converted to advanced minutemen are seasoned and will continue to contribute in positive ways to lead to a W. MY is so consistent offensively that he can be counted on each game that brings a level of confidence to the team. Additionally, Phil and Key are also usually solid contributors which gives the team a strong core. Just need the team to keep improving defensively.

Birds 72
Aces 66

Hamdonger

Only thing that makes me wonder just a bit is our over-par defensive team right now struggling to get through all of Marty's screens. If one of their guys gets hot, we could be in trouble.

Redbird222

I watched Evansville play a couple of games ... if Taylor and company don't return I believe they don't have a person that can penetrate and create havoc for us. This seems to be one our biggest weaknesses and we may be playing them at an opportunistic time. The announcers for the Duke - Evansville game said Taylor tried to practice this past Monday and he had issues. Not sure what that means for Saturday or the near future for him.

I say we win by 11 if Evansville doesn't have a healthy body to run Marty's offense. If Taylor and one or two return it will be a tight game. A well run Marty offense could cause issues for us with the screens and penetration. I believe we would end up in a lot of zone if we play their full compliment of players. I know prior to the Duke game they were leading the nation in 3 point fg % but Evansville really doesn't rely on shots behind the arc. If we are forcing a lot of 3s I believe we will win. A lot of ifs here but I say

Birds 77
Evansville 66

Bird Friend

Chatkevicius has the size and strength to eat us up underneath in the half-court, if they use him properly. Dude looks like your prototypical Eastern European boxing olympian, only taller. He was probably the only one who played worth anything against Duke. TB will be thoroughly outmatched underneath if he has to play the post.

Marty seems to like those 'Vicius Europeans.

Redbird28

PurpleRedbird said:
Baltimore Bird said:

Birds 73, Aces 55

If Taylor and Gibson are not able to play, Marty will try to slow the game down so fewer possessions for all concerned. My logic at least. If they try to play fast then they don't have the athletes to play with us and expect us to win by larger margin. Was being a bit conservative, but just can't put down my Aces losing by more than this given in my heart I will always be a Purple Ace. :D

I'll be the guy in the stands with the ISU red sweatshirt and the Aces purple hat.

You're going to wear Ace Purple's hat? We need pics.

bOEMVreh.jpg

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Taylor was to miss up to six weeks with his foot injury on 11/27. So we are barely at week 3 for his injury. I think it would be a miracle recovery if he's back already. Althought the Evansville paper said he's questionable for Saturday.

Taylor is out, according to the paper and who knows on Gibson. He had fluid drained and decided the Duke game didn't matter to UE so he sat out. I bet he plays.

http://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2017/12/21/response-humiliating-duke-loss-more-important-ue/974588001/

PurpleRedbird

Redbird28 said:
PurpleRedbird said:
Baltimore Bird said:

Birds 73, Aces 55

You're going to wear Ace Purple's hat? We need pics.

bOEMVreh.jpg
Proud alumni of the only college in America with a pimp for a mascot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cpacmel

isuquinndog said:
Taylor was to miss up to six weeks with his foot injury on 11/27. So we are barely at week 3 for his injury. I think it would be a miracle recovery if he's back already. Althought the Evansville paper said he's questionable for Saturday.

Taylor is rumored to have practiced on Monday but his injury flared up.

Aces don’t play again til the 30th.

ISU FAN 1

PurpleRedbird said:
Baltimore Bird said:

Birds 73, Aces 55

Is that the same strategy Marty deployed vs Duke? Or was it to speed up the tempo to get a crack at the post game buffet sooner?

Top Bottom