Evansville New HC? Walter McCarty

Adunk33

Staff member
https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/976307516408655873

Current assistant coach on the Boston Celtics.
First round draft pick in 1996. Left the League in 2006.
Originally from Evansville, but went to Kentucky.
Assistant at Louisville, Indiana Pacers, and Celtics.

Adunk33

Staff member
It's official per UE Twitter. I think the MVC got better with McCarty and Ford in the league over Lusk and Simmons.

Birdman85

The recruiting at Evansville just changed dramatically. Which will help the overall talent level of the league.

Redbird28

Recruiting doesn't change dramatically over night because of the hiring of a new coach.

The coach has to have facilities to sell to recruits, and to the best of my knowledge the only thing that Evansville has going for it facilities-wise right now is the Ford Center.

ChiRedbirdfan

Redbird28 said:
Recruiting doesn't change dramatically over night because of the hiring of a new coach.

....see Hardaway/Memphis and Martin/Missouri. Certainly tougher for a mid-major but the right coach with the right connections can proportionately make an immediate impact at this level too.

Redbird28

ChiRedbirdfan said:
Redbird28 said:

....see Hardaway/Memphis and Martin/Missouri. Certainly tougher for a mid-major but the right coach with the right connections can proportionately make an immediate impact at this level too.

I would be willing to wager that both Memphis and Missouri's weight rooms alone are far more attractive than anything Evansville has to offer. I understand the root sentiment of your comment. I just don't agree with the correlation when comparing the situations at those 2 programs versus Evansville.

PurpleRedbird

Redbird28 said:

The coach has to have facilities to sell to recruits, and to the best of my knowledge the only thing that Evansville has going for it facilities-wise right now is the Ford Center.
They did just build a new practice facility a few years ago.

https://www.evansville.edu/news/articleDetail.cfm?articleId=261

Redbird28

Thanks for posting that article, PurpleRedbird, but even reading that article vs reading the article below shows the disparity in the 2 programs facilities. Like I alluded to above, it's apples and oranges.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2017/11/17/university-memphis-unveils-new-20-million-laurie-walton-family-basketball-center/867673001/

PurpleRedbird

Redbird28 said:
Thanks for posting that article, PurpleRedbird, but even reading that article vs reading the article below shows the disparity in the 2 programs facilities. Like I alluded to above, it's apples and oranges.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2017/11/17/university-memphis-unveils-new-20-million-laurie-walton-family-basketball-center/867673001/
Not saying it's a palace but compared to what they had before that they shared with the students in Carson Center it is an improvement. Agree though that it doesn't compare to Memphis. It is comparable though to some other valley schools.

PurpleRedbird

I do know though that there is plenty of financial support available to the program once the community starts to believe again. I know my friends down there say there is an incredible excitement in the community that "Walter is coming home". You have to remember that Evansville fans were used to being in a conference with teams like Xavier, Dayton, Marquette, Butler, St Louis, etc from the 80s and were used to beating those teams. There is definitely many who think "why not us". I know it's a different time, but I do believe that Walter's pedigree, connections, and personality is something that could bring Evansville back to where they used to be.

Now that being said......the proof is in the pudding. How many of his current team can he retain, and how many late additions can he find that are potential Valley players will tell a lot of the rest of the story. I know from a source close to the program that he has already reached out to a number of contacts on potential recruits.

Top Bottom