ESPN+ and the future of MVFC on ESPN3

StLRedbird

This topic is being discussed on the basketball board, but since football's in a different conf I guess it's possible they will resolve the situation differently:
https://redbirdfan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=765

Per this release from MVC, looks like content currently available via ESPN3 will be migrating to ESPN+ next year. Anyone disagree with that assessment? Cost for ESPN+ is 4.99/mo or 49.99/yr.
http://mvc-sports.com/news/2018/4/9/baseball-mvc-to-distribute-80-event-package-on-espn.aspx#

I haven't been able to find a MVFC release on the matter. Sorry if this is redundant to the basketball thread.

fourthandshort

I didn't read up on this one much yet, but there was decent thread on AGS .. 7 pages:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?204524-ESPN

My biggest general concern is one of "inertia" ... that is, having to sign up for something different, along with having to pay for it ... this human nature of "inertia" will hurt viewership and following of FCS football. People just tend to give up easy, when stuff changes, gets a little confusing, and/or starts to cost something. Particularly if your team doesn't get off to great start.

I will most likely buy this service .. others may not bother.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Also if you give something away for free and then turn around and charge for it for no reason other than you want to, going to tick off a lot of people.

Virginia Redbird

I saw the thread on AGS yesterday. I will likely buy the ESPN+ package since if I want to watch the games I have no other option. If ESPN is going to charge for it I would expect the quality of the broadcast to improve. Over the past three years or so of being able to watch ISU games on ESPN3 the quality has been up and down. Dropped sound, dropped video, loss of video, bad streaming, etc, etc, etc, etc. Last season all the games I watched were fairly decent quality. When you are getting something for free it is hard to complain about the quality. If I am paying for something then I expect it to be of decent quality. I personally really enjoy watching the Redbirds. My wife and I have not missed a game that has been broadcast on ESPN3 for the last 3 seasons. She did not attend ISU but I have made her a convert to the Redbird fan base. I will probably buy but I agree that there will be maybe quite of few fans that watch on ESPN3 now that will not buy an ESPN+ package. I am hooked though...I want to watch the boys play on Saturdays!

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
ESPN has already upset people by putting their latest 30 for 30 doc about Bobby Knight ONLY on ESPN+. No other way to watch it.

SoCalRedbird

fourthandshort said:
I didn't read up on this one much yet, but there was decent thread on AGS .. 7 pages:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?204524-ESPN

My biggest general concern is one of "inertia" ... that is, having to sign up for something different, along with having to pay for it ... this human nature of "inertia" will hurt viewership and following of FCS football. People just tend to give up easy, when stuff changes, gets a little confusing, and/or starts to cost something. Particularly if your team doesn't get off to great start.

I will most likely buy this service .. others may not bother.
Agreed!

So now FCS fans will juggle ESPN TV broadcasts (rare), free ESPN3 content, occasional ESPN+ content, and possibly even local streaming options depending on non-con away broadcasting rights.

Us loyalists will no doubt pay for the new subscription, but, as the OP points out, new viewers and college kids don't have the passion to work through all the options.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

salsa

Does anyone know if you get ESPN through your cable provider if you'll still get ESPN+? I thought this was just an option for those who didn't otherwise have access to ESPN streaming.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
salsa said:
Does anyone know if you get ESPN through your cable provider if you'll still get ESPN+? I thought this was just an option for those who didn't otherwise have access to ESPN streaming.

No. It's a completely different offering. They will not show what is being show on an ESPN TV channel on ESPN+ and vice versa. It's not like ESPN3 that you just get it.

salsa

isuquinndog said:
salsa said:

No. It's a completely different offering. They will not show what is being show on an ESPN TV channel on ESPN+ and vice versa. It's not like ESPN3 that you just get it.
I understand that part. What I mean is will I get this if I have access to ESPN3 or the WatchESPN app through my cable or streaming provider login now. I've read in places speculation the fee is primarily for those who don't otherwise have access to ESPN content. And will the MVFC games will be available on WatchESPN for those of us with ESPN access plus those who pay just for ESPN+?

salsa

Ok...played with it a little. Logged in to WatchESPN on my phone using my Hulu login and could play lots of content but no NHL games were listed. Went to espn3.com and it redirected me to ESPN+. In their replay page there was a lot of content listed asking with the original source. Some still said ESPN3 and it would play. But those that said ESPN+ or MLB required an ESPN+ account.

Until they completely separate from the other providers and do their own independent streaming service, I doubt I'll subscribe. Good luck to them!

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
The softball tournament is on ESPN+. Not a good sign for games next season for those that don't want to pay $5/mo

ISU85

I'm sure the MVC has done the proper research and determined that moving the softball tournament to a pay platform can only increase coverage and viewership.

fourthandshort

ISU85 said:
I'm sure the MVC has done the proper research and determined that moving the softball tournament to a pay platform can only increase coverage and viewership.

clearly going to produce a windfall that can be used for leverage with the major networks once they're done counting all the money !!! then we use softball success to get better $$ deal on football. I think this is how SEC football rose to current fame.

yep, going with that one.

:mrgreen: