Elijah going pro

Rollbirds5

Per Redbird MBB twitter Elijah is foregoing last 3 years of eligibility to go pro overseas

https://goredbirds.com/news/2018/7/30/mens-basketball-elijah-clarance-to-turn-professional.aspx

Jsnhbe1Birds

1. Hurts.

2. Makes sense for him and his NBA aspirations

3. Muller obviously told him he wasn't going to be a starter. Therefore, losing the 6th/7th guy off the bench who sucked last season I'm not sure how much it'll hurt.

B

BirdGrad2011

Get that Euro money and be closer to family while developing is my guess.

Adunk33

Staff member
A few knee jerk reactions....

I remember when he committed watching interviews he felt that he could be a 1&done. He had an amazing summer and I'm sure he will have a successful pro career. He has his age working for him and is getting a head start. I am bummed because he could have been one of the best guards in the MVC.

Then when you think of this season, I think he could have been a role player, but would still only be playing around 15 min per game.

This sucks less than when a player transfers. Best of luck to Elijah.

I should have known when he was supposed to be back on campus today and is still overseas on a vacation.

Also, Chastain and Gassman will be battling for a scholarship. Or maybe Hein gets his back?

B

BirdGrad2011

He needs a whole lot of work on his shot to do anything beyond Europe. Needs a lot more consistency.

Jsnhbe1Birds

I think he could average 13 next season and 19 by 2019-20. That'll get him to be a first rounder as a 6-4 kid that can drive at will.

Jsnhbe1Birds

1. Hein gets his scholarship back and possibly more playing time
2. Chastain, Idowu, Ndiaye, Jeffetson, Bruniga, and Gassman could all see more playing time. Time will tell who.
3. Ndiaye better be eligible now.

Redbirdwarrior

This is a shame. I thought he was going to be a STANDOUT in 2019/20, possibly POY.

That said, the team this year probably would not have used him much. With all of the players sitting on the bench waiting on scholarships to open up, this might not be a terrible thing. I'm guessing Muller knew this was going down weeks and weeks if not months ago, hence why he loaded up on players for next season and guards.

Good luck in Europe, kid. You have the ISU brand on you. Use it well.

DWRedbird

I will fully admit I expected this to be a joke thread when I first saw it.

That said, hopefully he has a lot of success over in Europe and I'll be rooting for him.

Congrats Elijah!

Jsnhbe1Birds

Muller had no clue Clarence was going to be the best payer in the FIBA U-20 tournament. He has probably known for a week that he was considering it.

Dang! I saw him being huge here at ISU. He seemed like a loyal dude who could have done his time at ISU and been a big big name before he left.
Hope for the best for him but I think he might be missing a bigger opportunity in the US.

DannyCooksey

Best of luck to Elijah. talented kid.

i think he would have had a very good season for the Birds.

Redbirdwarrior

Ya know, I'm thinking about this and I think the kid missed a huge opportunity to be a much more complete player by learning from Chris Duhon for at least a year. If you want to be an NBA professional guard, it might help to learn under a 10 year NBA pro guard for at least awhile. As it is, Clarance seems to have never even met him.

That's a shame.

Adunk33

Staff member
In a way, it's kind of the LiAngelo Ball route. It didn't work for him, but I think Elijah is a much better player at this stage of his career.

Top Bottom