Eastern, 3-0

Total Red

Staff member
Before the season started I saw Eastern as an easy win. EIU was starting over with a new coach, and they lost a lot of players to the portal. Much to my surprise they clocked Ind St. 27-0 in their opener. INSU had to go with their #2 QB, but the game wasn't close. Bowling Green brought EIU back down to 1-1, but the Panthers have proven to be capable. Even so I like the Redbirds in this one. It's another "take care of business game." If the Redbirds play their game we win, but EIU is better than WIU. If we lose the special team's phase and lose the turnover battle again, then we're fighting for our lives in the 4th Q. More Blakemore sets up the passing game. Rock 'em Redbirds.

topiarydan

I actually think WIU and EIU are pretty even. EIU benefitted from 6 Indy State turnovers (2 of which I think were returned for TDs). WIU hung tough with New Mexico State for a half and EIU was respectable with BGSU. Both NMSU and BG are meh. We need to limit our penalties and win the turnover battle and I think we win by 10

fourthandshort

I would feel a whole lot better about this game if it were at Home. I still like our chances, but EIU at Home will be tougher than WIU. but I still like our chances a lot. Bowling Green's offense ranked in the 100-115 level out of 131 teams last year. Their defense was only a little better ranking in the 87 to 100 range in various team stats.

Yet they got 509 yards on EIU defense, so I'm thinking we'll get our share of yards too on them.

As for their drubbing of ISUb, it was either increible defense by EIU or horrible offense by ISUb .. who pulled their starting QB late in week. ISUb drive chart tells the story ... 3 punts, followed by 2 fumbles, 4 picks (100 return yards), incl 2 pick 6s in last minute of 1st half, then a Safety on 1st drive in Q3. First downs were even, total yards were about 338 to 217. ISUb imploded without their QB.

Noting EIU forced zero TOs against Bowling Green.

So while EIU might be tougher than WIU, especially again on road .. I still see us being a week better, and winning this game by 10 points or more.

SpotTimeObtainedSpotTimeHow LostPlays-Yds.TOP

Team
Qtr.Drive StartedDrive EndedConsumed
INS1stINS2514:55KOINS3413:13PUNT3-901:42
INS1stINS3610:01KOINS4606:32PUNT6-1003:29
INS1stINS3105:29PUNTINS3803:15PUNT4-702:14
INS2ndINS511:20DOWNSEIU2403:42FUMB13-7107:38
INS2ndINS1101:50PUNTINS1400:55INT3-300:55
INS2ndINS2600:50KOEIU4800:21INT3-2600:29
INS2ndINS3500:16KOINS3300:00HALF3-(-2)00:16
INS3rdINS1110:25DOWNSINS006:50SAFETY7-(-11)03:35
INS3rdINS2603:16KOEIU2700:00FUMB7-4703:16
INS4thINS911:07PUNTINS2910:18INT2-2000:49
INS4thINS4009:08INTEIU2706:52DOWNS5-3302:16
INS4thINS3504:34PUNTEIU3601:28INT6-2903:06

Virginia Redbird

I watched the first half of the EIU v BGSU while I was waiting for the Birds last Saturday. EIU has some talent. They will not look like the same team they were last season. I think they are in the same process as the Bird's defense, getting game reps and figuring it all out right now. the head coach was a player and asst coach for the Panthers for quite some time. He knows this rivalry and what a win would mean to their program. Frankly, I think a win against the Redbirds would be more impacting to the Panther's program. I would imagine Wilkerson is not going to be telling the players this is just another game. This is the Mid-America classic that players like Romo and Garoppolo played in. This is tradition against a long time rival and we want to bring that trophy back to our campus. EIU has had some really bad seasons recently and winning this game would be something to build on. They will be on their home field and I expect them to come storming out. For ISU, this is an important game that may well come to be very important if they are trying to secure a playoff berth. Outside of that, the Birds are probably focused on the MVFC schedule coming up. I think ISU comes away with a win. Should be fun to watch.

ChiRedbirdfan

A lot of questions about the unknown quality of the Redbirds opponents but my biggest unknown is the quality of the REDBIRDS. Nice that we are 2-0 including a road win and there are bright spots. However at same time our schedule has been favorable and team does not seem to be prepared/focused to play (a lot like the Bears) come game time as evidenced by the overall poor special teams play.
This team needs to earn that top 25 ranking with a convincing win and gain some overall confidence before the schedule stiffens.
Go Redbirds!

fourthandshort

Illinois State -11.5

Over / under 41.5
This suggests score like 26 to 15 .. margin makes sense to me, but got to believe there will be more points on Saturday. I think Redbirds put up 30+ for sure. And Panthers could put up a little more, while our defense and special teams figure things out. Need a much better game from Special teams this week. This the main reason WIU was in that game last week - Special teams accounted for 3 of their 4 scores with great field position for WIU. That and our slow start on offense, which eventually clicked to tune of 460 yards .. despite punting on 4 of 5 drives (after just 3 or 4 plays).

But if we draw closer to even on special teams against EIU, I feel like we can win this game with something like a 34-17 score .. maybe more. So with just a "shot of koolaid", assuming special teams doesn't hurt us much this week .. hoping we get Jalen Carr back at WR.

So I'm going with 34-17 Redbird win. I think our offense will get off to a better start this week, as we continue to find a more potent run-pass balance that keeps defenses honest/guessing. I also think our defense will continue to improve. Then "hope" our special teams does better.

Forecast in Charleston is 70 and sunny with light breeze for our 2pm kickoff. Beautiful day for football .. let's go Redbirds !!!

Last edited:

Chi-bird

This is a win we have to have. This year is about improving and hopefully making the playoffs (or coming close) despite our special teams woes. I’d like to see us open things up offensively - even if we’re having success with the running game.

Virginia Redbird

This is a win we have to have. This year is about improving and hopefully making the playoffs (or coming close) despite our special teams woes. I’d like to see us open things up offensively - even if we’re having success with the running game.
I am not feeling awfully comfortable with the Birds special teams after last week. Hopefully it was just one game but the kick coverage was just not very good. I am feeling this is going to be a tighter game than we may expect. Two games under their belt, we should see some improvement as the new players get more game time.

Chi-bird

Maybe, but Coach Spack said that EIU is our toughest opponent to date. I guess Coach Spack and I have our Coach Speak down. You always build up the current opponent.
Like good ‘ole Jankovic

“That 1-7 Houston Baptist team is awfully, awfully good and presents some major challenges…we’ll be very fortunate to come out of this home game with a win.”

Virginia Redbird

An article from the Journal-Gazette &Times-Courier (that is a mouthful) about the game today. Some quotes from Spack and an injury report.
I saw their transfer QB play last week and he has some skills. Should be interesting to see how the Birds come out today. They did look a little lackluster in last weeks win. But a win is a win! Go Redbirds!

Bird Friend

Gotta admit I love the TV announcers. Still, would be nice to know what was happening since the cameras are all long distance views.

Top Bottom