East - West Shrine Game

Virginia Redbird

I am looking forward to watching Devonte Harris and Dalton Keene today in the Shrine Bowl. I looked up the rosters and Devonte is on the West squad and Dalton is on the East. Kind of strange being from the same school and different teams but maybe they just mix them up. I generally don't watch All-Star games but I will be tuning in today. Best of luck to both Redbirds!
There are a few other players from the MVC so it should be interesting to watch. 3:00 pm Eastern Time on the NFL Network for those of you interested in tuning in.

fourthandshort

good luck to Dalton and Davontae .. read some of the practice reports, they like Davontae though did say he does not have top end speed for man cover .. which we saw at times at ISU. But they still like him. Didn't see anything on Dalton other than he is listed as DE.

Guy to watch from MVFC .. UNI WR Daurice Fountain ... who, you say ??? Well even though I barely remember his name .. he is tearing it up in these all star game practices .. and his draft stock is climbing fast.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/northern-iowa/uni-panthers/2018/01/18/unis-daurice-fountain-turning-heads-shrine-game-practice/1044160001/

MadBird

No one's posting, anyone watching? Have watched half of it maybe, on and off, maybe a little more.

Sorry to say, my honest opinion is Keene looks a little overmatched. He's played a lot, and early, but has been on the ground a few times and haven't seen him make a tackle. Seems to be getting blocked by "huge guys".

Harris just gave up a catch, but a great pass and grab, so not really a bad play IMHO. He hasn't had to defend a long pass that I've seen (so had to decide whether to "look back" or not!).

Virginia Redbird

I have watched and felt pretty much the same about Keene. He was blocked out of the plays fairly routinely. He got quite a bit of playing time but was not really a factor. Same feeling about Harris. They did not go his way very much. The completion was a good offensive play.

MadBird

And just after I posted mine, Keene recovered a fumble, and the commentators gave him some props as a "lunch pail guy" who just makes plays. So what the hey do I know!!?? Sounded like he at least impressed the people that matter!

Adunk33

Staff member
MadBird said:
the commentators gave him some props as a "lunch pail guy" who just makes plays.

I did an academic study in school on this terminology by broadcasters. I found it was used predominantly for white players when they needed something positive to say. Whereas players of a different race will be propped up by their "athletic" traits. Now that I've pointed it out, if you hadn't noticed it, you will now. Hahah.

MadBird

Adunk33 said:
MadBird said:
the commentators gave him some props as a "lunch pail guy" who just makes plays.

I did an academic study in school on this terminology by broadcasters. I found it was used predominantly for white players when they needed something positive to say. Whereas players of a different race will be propped up by their "athletic" traits. Now that I've pointed it out, if you hadn't noticed it, you will now. Hahah.

a. I should have majored in what you majored in!
b. doesn't surprise me that "handle" describes a certain stereotype. Like saying certain guys are "athletic"!

Altho, I agree, Keene is a lunch pail kind of guy!! :lol:

Virginia Redbird

I saw the fumble recovery as well. Harris badly missed a tackle on the UNI receiver. Not certain this game helped either players value in the upcoming draft. Free Agents? We will see in April.

Adunk33

Staff member
MadBird said:
Adunk33 said:
MadBird said:

a. I should have majored in what you majored in!
b. doesn't surprise me that "handle" describes a certain stereotype. Like saying certain guys are "athletic"!

Altho, I agree, Keene is a lunch pail kind of guy!! :lol:

Trust me.... you shouldn't have. :lol:

fourthandshort

Keene is an athletic guy, he just isn't an agile guy. Playing DT for 5 years will not do much for your athleticism like DE would have - not to mention how much work he put into getting his weight up to 275 lbs. Dude just moved to DE for this all star game .. he needs a speed and agility trainer to retrain his lower body for pro days .. maybe be even get his weight down to 265 lbs.

But Keene is an athlete ... right now, just maybe more of a "lunch pail athlete" .

p.s. trademark already pending on that term :p

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:
MadBird said:

ok, how about this one .. Tommie Harris, nose tackle for Chicago Bears ... lunch pail guy or athlete ?

In my opinion one of the best DT Bears ever had .. when he was healthy ... undoubtedly a lunch pail guy. Now whether a fair skinned commentator ever thought to call him a lunch pail player .. that is the real question, I suppose.

dpdoughbird06

fourthandshort said:
Adunk33 said:
MadBird said:

ok, how about this one .. Tommie Harris, nose tackle for Chicago Bears ... lunch pail guy or athlete ?

In my opinion one of the best DT Bears ever had .. when he was healthy ... undoubtedly a lunch pail guy. Now whether a fair skinned commentator ever thought to call him a lunch pail player .. that is the real question, I suppose.

Dennis Rodman: Athlete or Lunch Pail?

DannyCooksey

I just watched the whole game. Keene played inside all game. He is too small to play DT in the NFL IMO.

I thought he was going to get a chance to stand up.

Davonte struggled with Fountain from UNI. Missed a tackle badly.

Both played a lot though.

fourthandshort

DannyCooksey said:
I just watched the whole game. Keene played inside all game. He is too small to play DT in the NFL IMO.

I thought he was going to get a chance to stand up.

Davonte struggled with Fountain from UNI. Missed a tackle badly.

Both played a lot though.

confused about Keene .. thought he made move to DE to get ready for draft. maybe not or maybe the were short on DTs.

fourthandshort

dpdoughbird06 said:
fourthandshort said:
Adunk33 said:

Dennis Rodman: Athlete or Lunch Pail?
body of an athlete ... brains of an empty lunch pail ... so both.

dude turned himself into a freak athlete over the years .. he used to be fairly skinny, before he really filled out with Bulls.

TIMMY

fourthandshort said:
Adunk33 said:
MadBird said:

Tommie Harris was a 3 tech. Probably the quickest 3 tech I've ever seen with the exception of maybe Warren Sapp. I would call him a great athlete. Until the hamstring did him in way too early .

Rodman could jump twice before an opponent could jump once. Athlete.

Now Singletary was a lunch pail guy. IMO

fourthandshort

i think the problem we're having is definitional on lunch pail .. I see lunch pail as a frame of mind. someone who likes it in the mud, in the trenches, or anyone position player who likes to do the dirty unglamorous work. That is why I put Tommie Harris in lunch pail category. That doesn't mean they aren't athletic .. they may or may not be. in fact, they might be lunch pail because they lack athletic skills.

Adunk33

Staff member
fourthandshort said:
i think the problem we're having is definitional on lunch pail .. I see lunch pail as a frame of mind. someone who likes it in the mud, in the trenches, or anyone position player who likes to do the dirty unglamorous work. That is why I put Tommie Harris in lunch pail category. That doesn't mean they aren't athletic .. they may or may not be. in fact, they might be lunch pail because they lack athletic skills.

Amazing conversation started her. I thought it went without saying but there are exceptions to the "gritty guy" being one race and an "athlete" being another. The findings were general and studied through 15 years of the NFL Draft, specifically the quarterback position.