Early workouts

Total Red

Staff member
fourthandshort said:
the Biggest surprise in MVFC will be our offense . I've been touting it on AGS. Some of them like Robinson a lot, but don't realize he is still developing ... as for rest of offense, they think I'm drinking too much koolaid.

I like the offense a lot but I still have two unresolved issues and unfortunately they may not get resolved in August camp. #1 — Can Garrett Hirsch get out and block a middle linebacker? We may not find out until a scout team simulates an opponent. Right now we've got a big nose tackle over the center and that's a totally different assignment. I'm feeling very good about the rest of the O-Line. I really like what we have coming back and Megginson is a good addition. I'd say run blocking is his strength with good forward movement. We should be able to do what most coaches want to do which is to use the run to set up the pass which leads us to issue #2

Do we have an outstanding receiver other than Schnell? I don't think so.

Randy Reinhardt has said that some true freshman WR's will play, but he didn't provide any names just yet so I'll throw one out there. I expect Austin Nagel to play.
I post this every year about the WR position. Yes speed and size are nice but since our running game will create opportunities all we really need is for the WR's to run good routes and then catch the damn ball when it comes close. Someone posted last season that with all the advances in gloves for receivers not many catchable balls are dropped. Well our receivers must not have the latest gloves because they drop balls that hit them in hands. Freshmen that can catch will have a chance to play.

On a related note I'm losing faith in IU transfer receiver Jordan Fuchs showing up. We had reports that he was coming this summer. I assumed that he had some summer course work to complete for eligibility and I suppose that could still happen but preparations for '18 are already well under way.
Right now we have a preseason all-conference guy that should raise his sights and aim for All-American in Spencer Schnell and then a noticeable drop off. Someone needs to step up and it shouldn't be left to the freshmen class.

And lastly and just so you know I'm friends with a guy who is friends with a guy that kinda sorta knows one of the assistants to the associate equipment manager and he's telling us that QB Brady Davis is looking really good in early workouts. He's not just a pocket passer as I had thought. He has good mobility. He can extend the play. He doesn't scramble to run as much as he looks to pass as he keeps his head up. He can throw on the run as the coverage is breaking down. NICE.
So does this Chief of Staff in charge of Water Bottles think that Davis can displace Kolbe?

Much too early to tell he says. Kolbe is looking fine. Let's just not rule anything in and let's not rule anything out.

Virginia Redbird

Total Red said:
And lastly and just so you know I'm friends with a guy who is friends with a guy that kinda sorta knows one of the assistants to the associate equipment manager and he's telling us that QB Brady Davis is looking really good in early workouts. He's not just a pocket passer as I had thought. He has good mobility. He can extend the play. He doesn't scramble to run as much as he looks to pass as he keeps his head up. He can throw on the run as the coverage is breaking down. NICE.
So does this Chief of Staff in charge of Water Bottles think that Davis can displace Kolbe?

Much too early to tell he says. Kolbe is looking fine. Let's just not rule anything in and let's not rule anything out.

Tough competition is a good thing at all positions. I fully expect to see Kolbe as the starting QB on opening night but if Davis gives the team a better chance of winning then make the switch. I am really anxious to see what type of offense OC Beathard is going to put together for the talent he has available. I think the O line will be fine and the running game looks to be strong. Tight ends will be pretty solid as well I think. I fully agree with TR that the WRs are a big question mark. It offers a great opportunity though for someone to step up and take advantage. I am counting down the days until kick off now.

GratefulRed

Davis has a couple of nice clips on his twitter feed. Extending plays with his legs and getting rid of the ball. Looked good in those for sure.

ISUBU

Total Red said:
Randy Reinhardt has said that some true freshman WR's will play, but he didn't provide any names just yet so I'll throw one out there. I expect Austin Nagel to play.

On a related note I'm losing faith in IU transfer receiver Jordan Fuchs showing up. We had reports that he was coming this summer. I assumed that he had some summer course work to complete for eligibility and I suppose that could still happen but preparations for '18 are already well under way.
With the new redshirt rule (freshmen can play in up to four games and still redshirt this season) I would expect to see a number of freshmen appearing all over the field. It'll be interesting to see how the coaches use this. Perhaps they'll play a lot of them if we are blowing out a team. My guess is that it'll be a week to week thing, and if a player shows in practice that they can help right now, they're going to get a shot. And if injuries bite us that'll increase the chances of seeing freshmen play.

As for Jordan Fuchs, I thought the same thing. Maybe he had summer classes that are just now wrapping up. But the longer it is, the more likely that we'll never see him here.

RedbirdSF67

Ridgeway must be hovering around 320. I've seen him around town and he's one big boy.. if they can teach him how to stay low, he will be a ton of bricks!

https://twitter.com/RedbirdFB/status/1026888317315571713?s=19

Adunk33

Staff member
RedbirdSF67 said:
One more thing, those new jerseys?

I just noticed the same thing! They sure are! The only difference is the outline around the numbers. Seems strange to make such a subtle change.

RedbirdSF67

Looking at the twitter picture day tweets makes me think we must be the tallest team in FCS. Sorting the roster we have 24 players 6'5 or over. That's nuts. For comparison Alabama has 25. Looking at the 2010 ISU roster, there was 4 that height or taller.

RedbirdSF67

RedbirdSF67 said:
Ridgeway must be hovering around 320. I've seen him around town and he's one big boy.. if they can teach him how to stay low, he will be a ton of bricks!

https://twitter.com/RedbirdFB/status/1026888317315571713?s=19

Per Coach Spack at the press conference, Ridgeway is 328.

TIMMY

Total Red said:

Watch some tape of Davis running read option. :D He's a threat. He can run. D line's will actually have to hold their water. That's was big part of Tre's game that has been missing. Davis would also be a real RPO threat. We will see. Kid didn't come here to sit.

NewBird

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1452367/5721b65190eead5d90b1ac57
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1452367/5721ad7a4df6124b70e36ed6
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1452367/5721e9cd0dcb0d12f88afbe8

fourthandshort

TIMMY said:
Total Red said:

Watch some tape of Davis running read option. :D He's a threat. He can run. D line's will actually have to hold their water. That's was big part of Tre's game that has been missing. Davis would also be a real RPO threat. We will see. Kid didn't come here to sit.

RPO .. Read Pitch Option ??

Getting much more excited about our QB depth and potential .. being honest, we haven't had a truly capable good 2nd stringer since back when the Matt Brown era started in 2009 . when Matt Brown had 2 back-ups (Drew Kiel, Matt Lancaster) who would have both been good starters .. they both eventually left because Brown took the job from Kiel after he got injured .. but all 3 were good and capable of stepping righ tinto starting job .. but all were RS FR or SO competing .. so 2 of them left program within in a year or so of Borwn talking the job outright.

Since then, there were 2nd stringers that were either young & seemingly talented but completely unproven ... or guys that were serviceable but you had to put away half the playbook and teams would have just stacked the box if they came in. Some of that was on past OCs, but also was on the 2nd string QB to step up. So IMO we not had anyone who could have stepped into starter role and run with it since 2009. This QB group has a very nice spread of classes and skill levels .. some unproven, including Davis ... but the potential and depth of this QB group is very encouraging. And the spread of age makes it less likely some will transfer .. plus there's all those RBs and OL to make the QBs pass game job that much easier.

bluejay

It's not a controversy it is DEPTH as coach Spack said. This is good for the team and for the QB position. Talent around you makes everyone step up their game!

NewBird

RPO .. Read Pitch Option ??
[/quote]

Run-Pass/Option

Hard to defend if well executed....

Total Red

Staff member
ISUBU said:
With the new redshirt rule (freshmen can play in up to four games and still redshirt this season) I would expect to see a number of freshmen appearing all over the field. It'll be interesting to see how the coaches use this. Perhaps they'll play a lot of them if we are blowing out a team.

That's a game changer to be sure. We can experiment with freshmen. If we really like them we can tear up the redshirt so they can play all season but I don't like to do that very often. Four games will be nice.

Of course you don't want to lose a game because you're experimenting with freshmen so I'm on board with this blow out game thing. What would be really nice is if we could open the season with some patsy. We could play some newcomers and it would be very helpful to have an opener where we could play Kolbe one half and Davis the next without worrying about the outcome.

(oh man, I'm so going to get it for that one but I'm in full contact training camp mode so bring it on guys) ;)

Virginia Redbird

Total Red said:
ISUBU said:
With the new redshirt rule (freshmen can play in up to four games and still redshirt this season) I would expect to see a number of freshmen appearing all over the field. It'll be interesting to see how the coaches use this. Perhaps they'll play a lot of them if we are blowing out a team.

That's a game changer to be sure. We can experiment with freshmen. If we really like them we can tear up the redshirt so they can play all season but I don't like to do that very often. Four games will be nice.

Of course you don't want to lose a game because you're experimenting with freshmen so I'm on board with this blow out game thing. What would be really nice is if we could open the season with some patsy. We could play some newcomers and it would be very helpful to have an opener where we could play Kolbe one half and Davis the next without worrying about the outcome.

(oh man, I'm so going to get it for that one but I'm in full contact training camp mode so bring it on guys) ;)

:clap:

Adunk33

Staff member
Forgive me if this had been posted elsewhere, but listening to Spack's presser from yesterday he is HIGH on Brady Davis at QB. He still says Kolbe is the starter, but the only negative he had against Davis was that he needs to learn the offense. Coach says he has a great arm, is a big bodied guy, and quick release. The quick release drives opposing defenses crazy because Davis won't get sacked much in a collapsed pocket. However, that could lead to increased interceptions. Spack think's it'll be a good competition. Nothing against Kolbe, but with a new (old) OC, it might be a nice breath of fresh air to have a new guy taking the snaps. I look forward to the competition.

He also says our Oline and RB's should be our biggest strength. To me, it sounds like We are going to be somewhere in the 60-40 range in favor of the run.

fourthandshort

Adunk33 said:
Forgive me if this had been posted elsewhere, but listening to Spack's presser from yesterday he is HIGH on Brady Davis at QB. He still says Kolbe is the starter, but the only negative he had against Davis was that he needs to learn the offense. Coach says he has a great arm, is a big bodied guy, and quick release. The quick release drives opposing defenses crazy because Davis won't get sacked much in a collapsed pocket. However, that could lead to increased interceptions. Spack think's it'll be a good competition. Nothing against Kolbe, but with a new (old) OC, it might be a nice breath of fresh air to have a new guy taking the snaps. I look forward to the competition.

He also says our Oline and RB's should be our biggest strength. To me, it sounds like We are going to be somewhere in the 60-40 range in favor of the run.

learning playbook is critical, and our run game will carry us for a while .. especially while our defense is finding itself early. So Kolbe will likely get the nod the first few games. But after dust settles from first few games ... you play the guy who gives us best chance to win, get us to playoffs, and win in playoffs. As a guy who had very high hopes for SO Kolbe, he did really struggle a lot as JR Kolbe ... I have been vocal and put more blame on OC Dicken than Kolbe .. but Kolbe has to play much better than he did as JR, or you start looking harder at QB Davis.

Bottom line #1 .. last year should have been a playoff run type year. Our defense was very very good. Our offense was sporadically very good .. but maddenly inconsistent and Kolbe could not overcome PC Dicken's inadequacies. Spack fired 3 offensive coaches and pushed out a 4th. Spack wants to make playoffs .. all decisions will and should be made with that goal in mind. I have not ruled out Kolbe starting all 11 games, but I am open minded to a change .. if and when it makes sense.

Bottom line # 2 ... We need to be sitting 3-1 walking into WIU MVFC home opener .. by then, the defense needs to be ready, so does our QB position.