Early Signing Day

Manchester Matt

The letters of intent are coming in. I’ll try to update quickly.

So far:

Justin Bromagen (OL from Ohio)
Ben May (offensive lineman from Georgia, who originally committed to Liberty, had several FBS offers).
Darius Walker (LB from East St. Louis)
Treshawn Watson (WR from Antioch)
Javon Charles (TE from Texas)
Rashad Lampkin (RB from Wisconsin)
Brett Spaulding (TE from Wisconsin)
Darrell Talley III (LB from Texas)
D’Marco Cross (DE from Indiana)
Adam Saul (K from Warren Township)
LaVoise-Deontae McCoy (DB from Homewood-Flossmoor)
Jackson Waring (QB from Iowa)

Transfer:
Shanon Reid (LB from the University of Tennessee by way of Ft. Myers, FL.)

fourthandshort

kind of nice to be so distracted by playoffs again that we completely overlooked 1st siging day !!!

MadBird

Great to see Rashad Lampkin from Wisconsin's Brookfield Central follow through and sign, he had a very good year, made all state teams. I was afraid UW would convince him to walk-on. He gained 1570 yards in 11 games, 5.5 yards per carry, 142.7 yards per game, 22 TD's and the stats show NO fumbles. Also 25 receptions for 230 yards and 2 TD's. Boo-yah!

Was noticing in USA Today the other day that E.St.Louis Senior was in their final Top 25 HS teams nationally. So, would think we got a pretty good one there too with Walker.

Manchester Matt

Lavoise-Deontae McCoy is signed, sealed and delivered.

This is a biggie. I know there was some talk that he was looking around. He’s a 3*** Class 8A all-state DB from Homewood-Flossmoor and the brother of former Redbirds standout Dontae McCoy.

HUGE!

ISUBU

Doesn't look like Shannon Reid played in more than four games this year, and doesn't look like he ever took a redshirt year. I think we'll have him for two seasons.

Total Red

Staff member
Busy morning. They put the Shanon Reid commit tweet up, took it down and then put it back up.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1207334355137417216

fourthandshort

ISUBU said:
Doesn't look like Shannon Reid played in more than four games this year, and doesn't look like he ever took a redshirt year. I think we'll have him for two seasons.

got our 1st LB transfer to help shore up all our losses in this group. We return 3 of 4 starters, but lose 1 starter (Deforest) and first 2 off the bench according to last games rotation ...1 was part time starter, Tuvone Clark, another played a lot .. Demarco Washington. So our great LB depth is suddenly thin for 2020.

This guys is 6'0" 218 lbs ... so undersized by our usual standards. Not sure what year he will be yet .. but hope he is able to redshirt his 2019 season at Tennessee. Played as true FR so must have some physical skills for them to burn his RS right away. Assuming he is mroe of a speed guy given his size plaing at FBS level ... we shall see.

Welcome to Redbird Nation ... Running Back and Linebacker U of FCS ... and we love our defense here. You came to the right place.

JHBird

fourthandshort said:
ISUBU said:

got our 1st LB transfer to help shore up all our losses in this group. We return 3 of 4 starters, but lose 1 starter (Deforest) and first 2 off the bench according to last games rotation ...1 was part time starter, Tuvone Clark, another played a lot .. Demarco Washington. So our great LB depth is suddenly thin for 2020.

This guys is 6'0" 218 lbs ... so undersized by our usual standards. Not sure what year he will be yet .. but hope he is able to redshirt his 2019 season at Tennessee. Played as true FR so must have some physical skills for them to burn his RS right away. Assuming he is mroe of a speed guy given his size plaing at FBS level ... we shall see.

Welcome to Redbird Nation ... Running Back and Linebacker U of FCS ... and we love our defense here. You came to the right place.

Sounds like a good get. I'm wondering whether they'll play Clayton Isbell more at LB next year. He's 6'2", 220 and runs well. Kinda of a tweener...

JHBird

Santa Cason said:

This is a biggie. I know there was some talk that he was looking around. He’s a 3*** Class 8A all-state DB from Homewood-Flossmoor and the brother of former Redbirds standout Dontae McCoy.

HUGE!

I think we're becoming DB U. It was probably our strongest position last year, and we got two returning stud corners (as long as they don't pull a Willie Edwards on us).

Manchester Matt

Looks like we got ourselves a nice QB commit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/3775688002

fourthandshort

Santa Cason said:
Looks like we got ourselves a nice QB commit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/3775688002

Have to say it .... but he's got people filling his head with some rediculous expectations when he's being lightly recruited ... NFL ? Patriots ? Tom Brady ? Yet he's coming here and he played at a small private HS with just 700 enrollment ? Not adding up.

I hope he turns into a good one and wish him well. But his coach is not helping him at all with this hype and he seems to be eating it up. You come here, you better start humble and be prepared for a struggle.

Again, wish you nothing but success .. welcome to Redbird Nation.

cpacmel

fourthandshort said:
Have to say it .... but he's got people filling his head with some rediculous expectations when he's being lightly recruited ... NFL ? Patriots ? Tom Brady ? Yet he's coming here and he played at a small private HS with just 700 enrollment ? Not adding up

Those comments were from his high school teammates. high school

fourthandshort

cpacmel said:
fourthandshort said:
Have to say it .... but he's got people filling his head with some rediculous expectations when he's being lightly recruited ... NFL ? Patriots ? Tom Brady ? Yet he's coming here and he played at a small private HS with just 700 enrollment ? Not adding up

Those comments were from his high school teammates. high school
My bad .. read it fast and they quoted his coach last .. thought it was all his coaches quotes. Should have read it more carefully.

ISUBU

fourthandshort said:
Have to say it .... but he's got people filling his head with some rediculous expectations when he's being lightly recruited ... NFL ? Patriots ? Tom Brady ? Yet he's coming here and he played at a small private HS with just 700 enrollment ? Not adding up.

Agreed that the comments about the NFL are high school hyperbole. But small school does not necessarily mean lack of talent Some solid ISU QBs came from small places like Dusty Burk and Matt Brown.

According to IHSA, Joliet Catholic enrollment is 644. Chicago Phillips is 575. That acclaimed QB factory of Rochester is 770. There can be good players at small schools.

TIMMY

ISUBU said:
fourthandshort said:

Agreed that the comments about the NFL are high school hyperbole. But small school does not necessarily mean lack of talent Some solid ISU QBs came from small places like Dusty Burk and Matt Brown.

According to IHSA, Joliet Catholic enrollment is 644. Chicago Phillips is 575. That acclaimed QB factory of Rochester is 770. There can be good players at small schools.
If I read this right he had offers from Iowa, Iowa State https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/09/26/des-moines-christian-jackson-waring-recruiting-iowa-hawkeyes-iowa-state-cyclones-iowa-prep-football/3775688002/ Maybe they dried up?
Jersey #: 8
Positions: QB, OLB
Height & Weight: 6'3" 205lbs
Bench: 275
185 Bench (Reps): 20
Squat(LBS): 425
Deadlift(LBS): 415
Clean(LBS): 275
Class of: 2020
Good numbers.
Check out the QB draw on his Jr. year HUDL. Play #2. http://wwwww.hudl.com/profile/9607475/Jackson-Waring
Kinda cute watching some of those little fellers chasing him around.
Kinda like Timmy's defense chasing around Tim Brasic back in the day. :(

Total Red

Staff member
TIMMY said:
If I read this right he had offers from Iowa, Iowa State https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/09/26/des-moines-christian-jackson-waring-recruiting-iowa-hawkeyes-iowa-state-cyclones-iowa-prep-football/3775688002/ Maybe they dried up?

"College coaches, meanwhile, are seeking Waring’s talent. Five of his seven offers are FCS programs: Northern Iowa, Illinois State, Western Illinois, South Dakota State and Abilene Christian. Iowa and Iowa State’s offers, he says, are for preferred walk-on spots."

TIMMY

StLRedbird

Total Red said:
TIMMY said:

"College coaches, meanwhile, are seeking Waring’s talent. Five of his seven offers are FCS programs: Northern Iowa, Illinois State, Western Illinois, South Dakota State and Abilene Christian. Iowa and Iowa State’s offers, he says, are for preferred walk-on spots."
Article also says "Iowa State is recruiting him as an athlete. Iowa is looking at him for defense.". The five FCS offers were for QB.

Virginia Redbird

StLRedbird said:
Total Red said:
TIMMY said:

Article also says "Iowa State is recruiting him as an athlete. Iowa is looking at him for defense.". The five FCS offers were for QB.

The Redbirds are probably looking at him for safety...kind of a tradition now! Sorry ... could not resist! ;)

jbird

Santa Cason said:

HUGE!
Another "legacy" DB. Already on the roster is freshman Franky West, the son of an All Conference CB from 25 years ago.

Top Bottom