Dual Signing Days - thoughts ??

fourthandshort

This is first year for dual signing days. I'd like to hear others thoughts on pro's and con's, and preferences of dual signing days.

I've never really liked the notion of signing day in early Feb .. always struck me as very late. Not because I think HS student-athletes should be forced into signing earlier that they are comfortable. But because of ho big a distraction the recruitment process can be for the HS student.

So I think it is more a good thing to move up signing day in general. Otherwise you have situations with recruits getting bogged down by recruiting process, including temptation to change mind, for another 6-7 weeks. These are HS students deciding on college .. this is not the NFL draft. All this obsessive attention and pampering of HS students is never a good thing.

I think it can be a bad thing though to have 2 different signing days in general, though prefer having the early option, per above positive, than just the later option. I suppose the one good thing with later option is it give the student more assurance that their coach(s) will still be there if they haven't left or been fired by signing day. Not to mention, it gives them more time if they need it. Though colleges may be forced to or elect to pull offers if they wait until latter signing day.

So all things considered, I kind of like dual signing days. But I can see some down side with kids getting pressure to sign early or fear losing their offer, and then have to scramble.

Thoughts from people who have "been there and done that" from HS recruitment standpoint ???

p.s. and enough of the tapes press conferences acting like someone just won the noble peace prize ro got select # 1 in NFL draft. Need to dial all this down ... This is a HS student choosing a college.

MadBird

Agree with your points, fourth. Especially anything that helps get rid of the "decommitment" process. In or out, whatever you choose, but enough of the "soft commitments".

TIMMY

I'll admit up front I haven't looked at this until today. Any chance we're signing anyone today? If not doesn't that make all of our commits "soft". Will this leave us vulnerable to P5"s reevaluating their board and shopping ours. There are a couple kids on our board I could see schools coming after.

Top Bottom