Did you know?

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
That ISU has every single football result posted on the schedule page back to 1893??

Go to the schedule for next season, then click the drop down for the year. Scroll down and it starts going back 100+ years! We used to play IWU twice in the same season.

We played Gibson City in the 1890's. Wonder what school that was?

StLRedbird

That's really cool. Thanks for pointing this out. I do seem to recall that in the very early days of football most schools played club teams from their area.

fourthandshort

isuquinndog said:
That ISU has every single football result posted on the schedule page back to 1893??

Go to the schedule for next season, then click the drop down for the year. Scroll down and it starts going back 100+ years! We used to play IWU twice in the same season.

nice tidbit quinnie. allow me to expand (i.e. and slightly embellish) on this topic ... little know fact is that Gibson City College did quite well and eventually out-grew their small rural town,. So they set up a satellite campus in another small town, albeit warmer locale .. Tuskaloosa, AL. Well they did even better there and later changed their name .. you may have heard of .. University of Alabama ???

So yes, we used to kick Alabama's ass in football. And they haven't played us since .. which explains all their Nattys .. cowards !!!

p.s. man, this offseason is dragging .......

TheTruth

Very depressing that Illinois State has been playing football that long and THIS is as far as they've come. So much wasted potential.

bb fan

Kudos to our most outstanding sports information folks for putting in a ton of work to get this done. One of the best in the country, for sure. It's fun to go back and check out some of the seasons.

TIMMY

isuquinndog said:

Weird isn't it. They played high schools back then.

bb fan

Yeah high schools and small college were opponents. I think some forget, that up into the 60's, we were still a pretty small teacher's college, 70% female. by then, the die was pretty much cast for what is now the NCAA autonumus 5 (P5 conferences). That's a club that has worked hard to keep it no new members welcome.

Top Bottom