WR Edgar
WR Haley
Slot Grimes
QB Davis
RB Robinson
FB McCloyn

Total Red

Staff member
Agree with the offense with the possible exception of Haley at WR. He missed the spring while youngster Eric Rogers took a big step forward. Rogers is long and athletic so he's got some Cam Meredith in his game. I hope Haley returns strong. We could use a veteran WR.

Unless it changes from the spring several players will line up differently from what you show. Clark was playing the Jack, Fehrmann was playing DE. I agree with you though. I think the Jack would be better for Fehrmann but newcomer Brandon Simon could also play the Jack so somebody will be placed at DE.

1st team linebackers from the spring - (Sam) Washington (Mike) DeForest (Will) Vandenburgh

Mends was injured in the spring so we didn't get a chance to see what he can do. It would be great if he could dominate August and win a starting job but I'm not counting on him just yet. But I'm also not satisfied with the current LB'er arrangement so I would welcome some tinkering.

CCRedbirds

6 of the 13 Seniors are Linebackers. You gotta think they should be a productive unit.

fourthandshort

With our front 7 personnel, we should be strong whether we go 3-4 with Jack or more traditional 4-3 in short yardage situations ... we've got size, depth, and some tweeners that can move around depending on whether we go 4-3 or 3-4. I also think we''ve got 3 more things in our front 7 cmpared to last year ... a little more speed, a little more depth (3 transfers in, 1 grad transfer out and 1 graduate), and another year experience, particularly on our DL. Last year, our DL had to be the youngest of all the top defenses ... our 2 deep last year was all RS FR and SO, except for 2nd string Swaine who graduated .. and they more than held their own finishing a very close 2nd in most team defense stats behind a very veteran NDSU defense. NDSU lost a lot and we kept a lot and now our front 7 are all a year older.

DannyCooksey

fourthandshort said:
With our front 7 personnel, we should be strong whether we go 3-4 with Jack or more traditional 4-3 in short yardage situations ... we've got size, depth, and some tweeners that can move around depending on whether we go 4-3 or 3-4. I also think we''ve got 3 more things in our front 7 cmpared to last year ... a little more speed, a little more depth (3 transfers in, 1 grad transfer out and 1 graduate), and another year experience, particularly on our DL. Last year, our DL had to be the youngest of all the top defenses ... our 2 deep last year was all RS FR and SO, except for 2nd string Swaine who graduated .. and they more than held their own finishing a very close 2nd in most team defense stats behind a very veteran NDSU defense. NDSU lost a lot and we kept a lot and now our front 7 are all a year older.
:text-+1:

Total Red

Staff member
The Jack position will get a complete makeover this season. At the end of last season I thought we were in good shape with starter Jason Harris coming back as a 4-year starter and up and comer Ryan Guhl behind him. Harris decided to take off for UCLA (U Can Leave Also) and Guhl took the suggestion and departed for Univ of Indianapolis. Harris gets the Chat out bragging rights by going PAC-12 but it remains to be seen how much playing time he will get. Meanwhile I'll be very surprised if Guhl is not a star at UIndy.

As singer Carole King used to say "Does anybody stay in one place anymore?" Well Carole if we're talking College Football 2019 the answer is an emphatic "NO." How do you respond to two players transferring out at the same position? You look to the FBS for two transfers of your own. In came Blake Fehrmann (Univ of New Mexico) and Brandon Simon (Univ of Iowa). It now appears that both will line up at the Jack but we'll know for sure next week. If so, Tuvone Clark will return to his strong side LB'er position. Looks like CC may have been out ahead of me on this one. I'll get over it. The good news is that we're Tricked out at the Jack and not Jacked up.

CCRedbirds

Total Red said:
It Looks like CC may have been out ahead of me on this one. I'll get over it. The good news is that we're Tricked out at the Jack and not Jacked up.

Eh even a broken watch like me is right twice a day.

TIMMY

I love looking at depth charts and trying to figure out if all our pieces are in place, or if all our places are in pieces. I think it’s interesting that when we talk about offense we’ve finally gotten around to listing 12 starters on the depth chart, but on defense we’re still stuck on 11.

We’re now a 3-4 team. And on running downs that’s what we’ll see, an odd front. But on passing downs one of those 3 inside guys, more than likely the “nose or the tackle” are coming out. That’ll put us in an even 4 front and we’ll go nickel. There will be games where we’ll be in nickel more than we’re in our base. That’s the game now. Fluid. Lot’s of guy’s in and out trying to get a match up to our advantage. If they go with 2 TE’s do you match up with a safety or a corner? Well, that might leave you vulnerable to a run. Or do you stay in your base and try to cover with a linebacker? That may solve the run vulnerability but it can leave you susceptible to the pass.

Last year against NDSU we got caught in that 3 front and they spread us out on our left side. We didn’t make the proper adjustment. Our left end lined up as a 3 tech and there was no 5 tech. Well, that can happen in the first year running a defense. But it shouldn't. We lost leverage on our left edge and they walked into the end zone with a simple zone read. I don’t like being outsmarted.

So what you really have are about 12-13 starters on both sides of the ball. And if you’re going to be any good your pieces better go deeper than that.

Total Red

Staff member
OK CC we'll have to put the engine back in idle until we get this figured. With Fehrmann listed as a LB'er I thought he was at the Jack but he's still a DE with the 2's (behind McKnight) and Tuvone Clark is still #1 at the Jack with Brandon Simon #2. Right now the 1st unit is running LB'ers Washington, DeForest, and Draka with Clark at the Jack. Potential starters Vandenburgh and Mends are on the sidelines. That's frustrating. I like these things nailed down but we have to go with players that are healthy and producing. DeForest is ahead of everyone mentally. He seems to know where the passes and runs are going to go. We'll see who lines up for the public scrimmage on the 17th. August tends to go by in a hurry.

TIMMY

Total Red said:
and btw we've got a true freshman getting some 1st team snaps with the offense - Rutkiewicz. Learn to say it.

So I'm guessing he's lining up in the slot. It's what he played in H.S. and his hudl tape is flat out impressive. But man oh man he's a little feller. Definitely a kid you want to pull for.

DaveBird10

Total Red said:
and btw we've got a true freshman getting some 1st team snaps with the offense - Rutkiewicz. Learn to say it.
How about Eric Rodgers how is he looking?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Total Red

Staff member
DaveBird10 said:
How about Eric Rodgers how is he looking?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He impressed the local scribe a couple of days ago.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1157702315404615681?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 3,

I thought Rogers had a real good spring. He has physical skills. I'd like to see him play a little more, well, meaner. :evil:

Every time that ball goes up he has to believe it belongs to him and him alone. In the playoffs (college and pro) you see guys get away with contact and you say to yourself "isn't that a penalty?" But late in the season and the playoffs refs tend to let players play so you have to be ready for that. The more aggressive player usually wins that battle and the loser stands there with his hands on his hips looking at the ref. The heat of August is good time to practice being aggressive. Get the ball any way you can and apologize to your teammate later.

ISUBU

I think Rogers has a chance to fill a spot that hasn't been filled since Cam Meredith. Big receiver. This is only based on his reputation coming out of high school. I was a little surprised that we didn't see him in a few games last season.

As for Rutkiewicz, I saw a little receiver dominate a game last season. Rondale Moore at Purdue is really really good. He's small, but fast, strong, and mobile. The defense has to stick on him 100% of the time. Freakish.

fourthandshort

ISUBU said:
I think Rogers has a chance to fill a spot that hasn't been filled since Cam Meredith. Big receiver. This is only based on his reputation coming out of high school. I was a little surprised that we didn't see him in a few games last season.

As for Rutkiewicz, I saw a little receiver dominate a game last season. Rondale Moore at Purdue is really really good. He's small, but fast, strong, and mobile. The defense has to stick on him 100% of the time. Freakish.
it does feel like htis years WR group is finally starting to build some depth .. we haven't had much depth at all since 2014 group graduated. Always had a good #1 and maybe #2, but cupboard was usually bare beyond that .. maybe 2016 was strong year with the top 3 (Kolbe to Warrum, Schnell, Gibbs) .. but not much to work with outside of top 1 or 2 the other year since 2014 group.

Good to see .. we'll see how they develop from here. in games ... I think some patience will still be required this fall .. very young group and might not be physical enough against tip defenses.

ISUBU

CCRedbirds said:
Still look like?

J Fehrmann
E Lewan
N Ridgeway
E McKnight
SLB Clark
MLB Vandenburgh
WLB Mends
C Taylor
C Woods
S Kirk
S Uphoff

T Himmelman
G Megginson
C Bones
G Rients
T Solomon
TE Gillum
WR Edgar
WR Haley
Slot Grimes
QB Davis
RB Robinson
FB McCloyn

Vandenburgh and Edgar, both projected starters, have been sitting out much of practice with hamstring issues. Hard to interpret the quote in the Pantagraph without hearing it in person, but I read it as Coach Spack believes those two players should try harder to make it to practice. Another projected starter, Demarco Washington, suffered a shoulder injury yesterday. No update on severity.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/c...cle_7ea01366-2dcf-53e9-a2a1-272bad50d6c9.html

fourthandshort

Hamstrings are tough ... got to be smart about rehab or you can guarantee it will become a recurring thing... especially for a WR .. but for any position that requires your to run straight ahead.

Don't mess with hamstrings or concussions ... putting player at risk of reinjiry.

Total Red

Staff member
Funny thing about depth. You want to have it but you don't ever really want to use it.

I'm concerned that injuries are being downplayed during camp but that could change if we lose at NIU. The postgame interview might include "we need to get some guys back in the lineup, we're a bit of MASH unit right now." I'd rather discuss it now and refuse to use it as an excuse later.

For those keeping score at home the list of NMD (noteable moderately disabled - yes I just now made that up) includes Hirsch and Edgar on offense (Center and WR respectively) and LB'ers Vandenburgh and Washington on defense along with Iowa transfer Mends (LB) also limited in action.
We'll know more Saturday but with Washington out I think the Jeremiah Jordan gets a battlefield promotion to the first unit alongside DeForest and Draka. It's a test of depth at the LB'er position but that a good group. Just don't test it any further.

I'm more concerned about WR. We came into camp with some talent but it's a youthful group and some key contenders have never caught a game ball from QB Brady Davis. If he's healthy Edgar is obviously a starter and I'd say Grimes is as well. If we play two wide and a slot there's plenty of competition for the 3rd position and it could go in any direction because Grimes can line up as WR or a slot. Blackman, Haley, Rutkiewicz, and Rogers are contenders that will see action whether they start or not. A not far behind 2nd tier might include Bailey and Lombardi. Nagel would also be in there somewhere bit I fear he too has been lost to the "Yellow Walkers." What are "Yellow Walkers?" They're like White Walkers in that they are disabled and therefore "dead" to the team for the time being even though they can still be seen ambling about. They take zombie-like treks walking up and down stadium steps wearing yellow. If you see one keep your distance as I'm fairly certain they have a taste for human flesh.

Meanwhile how do we cope offensively if our top receiver Edgar is out? Do we still go 2 wide and a slot? If we're short handed at WR maybe we go with two TE's. Gillum, Taula and Mitchell are all leading candidates. Or if tailback is our strongest position on offense why don't we play 1 and 2 - Robinson/Proctor at the same time? All possibilities but my #1 choice is to go with 2 receivers 1 TE 1 tailback and a FULLBACK. McCoyn is a really good FB but we don't always have one on the field. Let's make the FB position semi-permanent. McCoyn and can run block and pass block and he can catch so he doesn't necessarily need to leave the field in passing situations. Pennington is emerging as a back up so there's some FB depth now too.

Top Bottom