Defensive Coaching Changes

dpdoughbird06

fourthandshort said:
nice teaser post ... do tell ??

Hearing it from folks who aren't usual sources so I figured others would be hearing same; still would love it to be smoke, not fire. But if true, we're really wiping slate clean.

Pure speculation on my part: is Muller extension being paid at expense of football budget? I don't see any new revenue streams, MBB attendance appears flat thus far, our 1-2 suites at Redbird Arena have been empty for many games, and much of Learfield deal is non-cash. Extra $200K per year has to come from somewhere...

Saint Xavier and mass exodus of coaches make me fear budget cuts - or at least holding the line on raises to take care of FB staff. I'd really love to see the former be flipped into a game that counts, but it's starting to look like we're stuck playing an exhibition...

ricohill

dpdoughbird06 said:
fourthandshort said:
nice teaser post ... do tell ??

Hearing it from folks who aren't usual sources so I figured others would be hearing same; still would love it to be smoke, not fire. But if true, we're really wiping slate clean.

Pure speculation on my part: is Muller extension being paid at expense of football budget? I don't see any new revenue streams, MBB attendance appears flat thus far, our 1-2 suites at Redbird Arena have been empty for many games, and much of Learfield deal is non-cash. Extra $200K per year has to come from somewhere...

Saint Xavier and mass exodus of coaches make me fear budget cuts - or at least holding the line on raises to take care of FB staff. I'd really love to see the former be flipped into a game that counts, but it's starting to look like we're stuck playing an exhibition...

Obviously, this is in the rumor stage, but for those that think ISU will ever go FBS, this is more proof it will never happen. It takes $$$$ and ISU doesn't have a big enough booster base to make it happen (they shouldn't anyway).

dpdoughbird06

Total Red said:
Nowinksy is leaving OUCH! this is getting rather serious.

Funny that he was the one - rather than anyone in corporate sponsorships - who started our relationship with Redbird Athletics by signing us on to feed the Brock Spack Camp years ago. A magnetic personality who is impossible not to love. I'll miss him; have to believe his Cadillacs will, too...

saxman210

Per Randy, Nowinsky is leaving to pursue an opportunity at a higher level of competition. FBS? CFL? NFL? It was an amicable split though, so I don't think he was chased out.

TheTruth

ricohill said:
Obviously, this is in the rumor stage, but for those that think ISU will ever go FBS, this is more proof it will never happen. It takes $$$$ and ISU doesn't have a big enough booster base to make it happen (they shouldn't anyway).

To be honest, we don't know what the potential of the donor base is because Illinois State has neither had the people in place or shown the willingness to tap into it to its fullest potential. Playing 1-AA football is a fan base killer at a school like Illinois State (as it should be) and not having a well articulated plan to get out of it will keep people on the sidelines. Nobody is going to bend over backwards to help an institution that doesn't work to help itself.

fourthandshort

oh damn .... this will get interesting. Recall After DC Elmassian experiment failed miserably in 2010. Spack took DC reins back in 2011, with Nowinksy still a DL coach .. and 2011 was probably the best defense Spack had in his ISU tenure .. though this years team defense was a close second, ignoring the SIU implosion.

Wouldn't be surprised if Spack pu this DC hat back on, and found an assistant DC to do the day to day stuff .. same role Nowinsky played for year or 2 before Spack gave him full reins.

That said, our defense took some big hits with senior class leaving. Next year will be flip flopped .. offense will likely have to carry the defense until they develop. And Spack always turns it around on defense .. examples are

- 2011 after 2010 .. went from botton 10 to top 10 in one season.
- 2013 mid season .. lost a lot from 2011-12 defense, and went from very bad defense 1st 6 games in 2013 to good last 5 games in same season; this and Tre Roberson are reason we made 2014 Natty run

Spack will figure out the defense .. though might take a several games into 2018 due to personnel losses and DC change. But offense should be in very good shape with OC Beathard back at helm - we will be very strong next season moving the chains and managing the clock .. which will help the defense. Just need to find him some position coaches.

But congrats to DC Nowinsky .. been a great run and asset to ISU football. We were very lucky to have him as long as we did. Wish him nothing but the best of luck in his next stop !!!!

dpdoughbird06

fourthandshort said:
oh damn .... this will get interesting. Recall After DC Elmassian experiment failed miserably in 2010. Spack took DC reins back in 2011, with Nowinksy still a DL coach .. and 2011 was probably the best defense Spack had in his ISU tenure .. though this years team defense was a close second, ignoring the SIU implosion.

Wouldn't be surprised if Spack pu this DC hat back on, and found an assistant DC to do the day to day stuff .. same role Nowinsky played for year or 2 before Spack gave him full reins.

That said, our defense took some big hits with senior class leaving. Next year will be flip flopped .. offense will likely have to carry the defense until they develop. And Spack always turns it around on defense .. examples are

- 2011 after 2010 .. went from botton 10 to top 10 in one season.
- 2013 mid season .. lost a lot from 2011-12 defense, and went from very bad defense 1st 6 games in 2013 to good last 5 games in same season; this and Tre Roberson are reason we made 2014 Natty run

Spack will figure out the defense .. though might take a several games into 2018 due to personnel losses and DC change. But offense should be in very good shape with OC Beathard back at helm - we will be very strong next season moving the chains and managing the clock .. which will help the defense. Just need to find him some position coaches.

But congrats to DC Nowinsky .. been a great run and asset to ISU football. We were very lucky to have him as long as we did. Wish him nothing but the best of luck in his next stop !!!!

I always saw him as our HCIW, but since Spack has hopefully quite a few good years left I can see why he'd leave for a new opportunity. That, and I'd imagine a nice raise.

I personally really like Coach Schoonover; what role do you think he moves into? Conard being gone opens up recruiting coordinator, and Nowinsky leaving might find him overseeing more than LBs and special teams.

Recon and I sit directly below the coaches' box on the West side; we've come to realize that running special teams is not good for a man's blood pressure, based on the emotion we hear emanating from behind the glass.

Morans14

saxman210 said:
Morans14 said:
Miami of Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If true....I don’t consider it a “higher level of football”
It's FBS. The campus is beautiful. A lot of successful coaches have come from there. I am from that part of Ohio so I have a little bias but I do consider it a step up for Spence.

saxman210

Morans14 said:
saxman210 said:
Morans14 said:
Miami of Ohio

It's FBS. The campus is beautiful. A lot of successful coaches have come from there. I am from that part of Ohio so I have a little bias but I do consider it a step up for Spence.

True. And I’ve heard that it is a beautiful campus. But I’d put our Redbirds against any MAC team and I bet we’d win 75% of the games played. That’s my only dig at “higher level of football.”

MadBird

It's a "step up", but maybe not a huge step.

I have no explanation, but two quick connections after looking at the Miami website: HC Chuck Martin was a grad assistant at Mankato St. when Nowinsky played there. And their associate HC/OL coach/co-OC is former ISU line coach George Barnett. So he's going to work with some familiar faces there, for better or worse. But don't see anything about them letting anyone go, so, not sure what's up with that.

DaveBird10

saxman210 said:
Morans14 said:
saxman210 said:

True. And I’ve heard that it is a beautiful campus. But I’d put our Redbirds against any MAC team and I bet we’d win 75% of the games played. That’s my only dig at “higher level of football.”
This is my thought. It is fbs but I think isu could beat 75% of those MAC schools as well. Truth be told it's a better job bc $$ and fbs that's it. Non the less, congrats to coach Nowinski.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Virginia Redbird

Morans14 said:
saxman210 said:
Morans14 said:
Miami of Ohio

I would consider it a step up because of reputation if nothing else. The nickname of the Cradle of Coaches is because so many truly great football coaches had Miami of Ohio on their resume at one time. Earl Blaik, Paul Brown, Woody Hayes, Bill Arnsparger, Weeb Ewbank, Sid Gillman, Ara Parseghian, Bo Schembechler, Jim Tressel, Joe Novak, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, and Sean McVay are just a few of the coaches with stops at Miami of Ohio. All the best to Spence as he moves on. It was a great run with the Redbirds. I do agree with those that believe ISU would hold their own with the MAC teams but as a resume builder I would think Miami of Ohio would carry a bit more clout than Illinois State. Sometimes it is the history and tradition of the place. No matter, I wish him the very best success in Ohio.

Top Bottom