DC announcement expected this week

Reggie Redbird

DannyCooksey said:
isuquinndog said:
According to Reinhardt at the Pantagraph.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/948338625078579207

Galen Scott? :D

I wish. I have a feeling he will be with Fuente until he gets a shot as a HC someday. I'm not sure how much longer Bud Foster will helm the Hokie defense, but I could see Scott taking over that slot if it opens up.

VaTech has a host of former Redbird coaches, including Fuente and Galen Scott. They also have:

OC/QB - Brad Cornelson
OL - Vance Vice
WR - Holmon Wiggins

Reggie said:
Can he bring Wiggins back to coach the RBs as well?

He was easily one of my favorite coaches during my time as a manager with the Birds. One of the nicest dudes you'll ever meet and a great coach. Love that he's been able to be successful on the FBS level.

jbird

Randy's tweet coming on the heals of Green Bay firing Dom Capers? Coincidence??

I'll wait to see if anyone takes this post seriously.

DannyCooksey

Reggie Redbird said:
DannyCooksey said:
isuquinndog said:
According to Reinhardt at the Pantagraph.

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/948338625078579207

Galen Scott? :D

I wish. I have a feeling he will be with Fuente until he gets a shot as a HC someday. I'm not sure how much longer Bud Foster will helm the Hokie defense, but I could see Scott taking over that slot if it opens up.

VaTech has a host of former Redbird coaches, including Fuente and Galen Scott. They also have:

OC/QB - Brad Cornelson
OL - Vance Vice
WR - Holmon Wiggins
Agreed

Pipe dream. :D

Glad all those guys are doing well.

Fuente has done a great job. Great for him and for former Redbird and BHS volleyball star Jenny Kabbes (Mrs. Fuente). She was a really nice gal and a terrific player.

fourthandshort

Agree on Wiggins as RB coach. Since we're in wishlist mode of former coaches .. I would take former WR coach Stubblefield in a heartbeat.

Just not likely.

Reggie Redbird

fourthandshort said:
Agree on Wiggins as RB coach. Since we're in wishlist mode of former coaches .. I would take former WR coach Stubblefield in a heartbeat.

Just not likely.

I was hoping we could bring him back after he left Utah, but he'll make much more at Air Force than we could pay him as a WR coach and not break the bank for other spots. He has definitely been a nomad since he left here; reminds me of Phil Elmassian.

2009-2010: ISU
2011: CMU
2012: New Mexico
2013: Wake Forest
2014-2015: Utah
2016: Toronto, Canada (CFL)
2017: Air Force

Five states and Canada in seven years since he left here. He was definitely moving up, although I'm not sure why he didn't get kept on at Utah after they went 9-4 and 10-3 in his two seasons there.

fourthandshort

Reggie Redbird said:
fourthandshort said:

Just not likely.

I was hoping we could bring him back after he left Utah, but he'll make much more at Air Force than we could pay him as a WR coach and not break the bank for other spots. He has definitely been a nomad since he left here; reminds me of Phil Elmassian.

Five states and Canada in seven years since he left here. He was definitely moving up, although I'm not sure why he didn't get kept on at Utah after they went 9-4 and 10-3 in his two seasons there.

also surprised how much stubble field has moved .. but don't like you comparison to elmassian .. stubble field could coach and get most out of his players. elmassian could .. uh .. well ... scream a lot and lose his talented players like he did in 2010 .. worst defense in Spack era by far.

fourthandshort said:
Reggie Redbird said:
fourthandshort said:

Just not likely.

also surprised how much stubble field has moved .. but don't like you comparison to elmassian .. stubble field could coach and get most out of his players. elmassian could .. uh .. well ... scream a lot and lose his talented players like he did in 2010 .. worst defense in Spack era by far.

Stubbs was a cool guy, and he definitely bounced around quite a bit. I remember he was actually mentioned in an espn article about coaches that have moved around a ton.

Elmassian also moved around a ton, although I think that had more to do with the fact that he was not a very kind person (at least in my experience). I can say players on that team were not at all disappointed when he left. I doubt anyone in the Kaufman football building was disappointed actually. How he continued getting FBS jobs is beyond me.

Reggie Redbird

fourthandshort said:
Reggie Redbird said:
fourthandshort said:

Just not likely.

Elmassian definitely had a sharp decline to his coaching tenure, from his one season as LSU's DC and on downward. However, regardless of why Stubblefield has moved, mostly up but also down the ranks, his track record for movement is the same. Perhaps he spends more than two years at Air Force, but considering his history, I wouldn't suggest he buy a house yet. There is nothing wrong with wanting to move up, but eventually it's in a coach's interest, for the most part, to spend at least 3-4 years at one stop.