DB's and depth

Total Red

Staff member
We havent' talked about the defensive secondary much but I feel optimistic about the group. They're Dope (I've been told that's good). They're long and athletic and I think the only separating them from the FBS level is a little foot speed.

We're led by the veteran Brees at Saftey and he and Kirk are both active hitters. I thought Edwards would take the lead at CB and get the toughest assignments but I would be just as comfortable with Taylor covering an elite receiver.

Just don't come unglued every time we give up a completed pass - "we can't cover anybody". Our top corner got beat sometimes last year and he was drafted in the 5th round by the Cincinnati Bengals. We'll face lots of talented QB's and WR's. We'll complete passes and the other team will complete passes. Happens

The thing that absolutely amazes me about the secondary is the depth. I've never seen a Redbird team with so many good looking young DB's. It isn't just the starters. The backups are long and athletic and some of the true freshman have already bulked up for college ball. Kudos to the recruiting efforts at these positions. We're good this year and for the forseeable future.

While I'm on subject of depth I continue to be impressed by the depth and size of our offensive linemen. We're deep enough up front that Trey Georgie has been moved to the DL to replace an injured Podkulski* We had a couple of years where we didn't recruit enough O-Linemen and it hurt us last season but now we've recovered and the cupboard is full. Even after the position change of Georgie we show 18 O-Linemen on the roster. We've had some Redbird teams (thinking of Berry's first team - iirc) that didn't have 15 to start the season and it went down quickly from there with injuries. And injuries in those days were aways painful because you hit the trifecta. When your starter went out and had to go with a backup that was 1) less experienced 2) less athletic 3) and smaller. You might have a starter at 290lbs and then a backup at 255. Currently we have three O-Linemen at 6'7 315 and none of the three has cracked the 2-deep. They're young, they'll have their chances but it's encouraging to know we can drill that far down and still have reserves big enough to play in the NFL. Like I say, it wasn't always that way.

* The Georgie/Podkulski news comes from the Randy Reinhardt twitter acct. MUCH appreciated. It happens every year. I get hyped up by the practice reports on GoRedbirds and when camp ends so do the practice reports. That's a letdown going into the season. But it appears that Coach Spack is keeping Randy up on the happenings and it is being faithfully reported. Again- Appreciated

fourthandshort

Total Red said:
We havent' talked about the defensive secondary much but I feel optimistic about the group. They're Dope (I've been told that's good). They're long and athletic and I think the only separating them from the FBS level is a little foot speed.

We're led by the veteran Brees at Saftey and he and Kirk are both active hitters. I thought Edwards would take the lead at CB and get the toughest assignments but I would be just as comfortable with Taylor covering an elite receiver.

Just don't come unglued every time we give up a completed pass - "we can't cover anybody". Our top corner got beat sometimes last year and he was drafted in the 5th round by the Cincinnati Bengals. We'll face lots of talented QB's and WR's. We'll complete passes and the other team will complete passes. SH-T Happens

The thing that absolutely amazes me about the secondary is the depth. I've never seen a Redbird team with so many good looking young DB's. It isn't just the starters. The backups are long and athletic and some of the true freshman have already bulked up for college ball. Kudos to the recruiting efforts at these positions. We're good this year and for the forseeable future.

While I'm on subject of depth I continue to be impressed by the depth and size of our offensive linemen. We're deep enough up front that Trey Georgie has been moved to the DL to replace an injured Podkulski* We had a couple of years where we didn't recruit enough O-Linemen and it hurt us last season but now we've recovered and the cupboard is full. Even after the position change of Georgie we show 18 O-Linemen on the roster. We've had some Redbird teams (thinking of Berry's first team - iirc) that didn't have 15 to start the season and it went down quickly from there with injuries. And injuries in those days were aways painful because you hit the trifecta. When your starter went out and had to go with a backup that was 1) less experienced 2) less athletic 3) and smaller. You might have a starter at 290lbs and then a backup at 255. Currently we have three O-Linemen at 6'7 315 and none of the three has cracked the 2-deep. They're young, they'll have their chances but it's encouraging to know we can drill that far down and still have reserves big enough to play in the NFL. Like I say, it wasn't always that way.

* The Georgie/Podkulski news comes from the Randy Reinhardt twitter acct. MUCH appreciated. It happens every year. I get hyped up by the practice reports on GoRedbirds and when camp ends so do the practice reports. That's a letdown going into the season. But it appears that Coach Spack is keeping Randy up on the happenings and it is being faithfully reported. Again- Appreciated

good post and generally agree with most of this .. best line of post is highlighted above with one word inserted that you neglected to use .. this is my biggest pet peeve with some fans.

Chi-bird

Unfortunate about Podkulski and his broken foot. I think he would have seen a lot of time spelling Ridgeway.

ISUBU

Chi-bird said:
Unfortunate about Podkulski and his broken foot. I think he would have seen a lot of time spelling Ridgeway.

I thought he was playing next to Ridgeway.

fourthandshort

ISUBU said:
Chi-bird said:

Spack announced our base defense is officially a 3-4 .. so NT, 2 DEs. Others, more knowledgeable about football formations, have noted it is not a huge change in that we've always kind of had a DE-LB Hybrid roll, which effectively allows defense to toggle (and better disguise) between 3-4 and 4-3 without much change in personnel. Historically, our DTs could almost double as DE or DT (Conley, Keene, Prate, Keoshian, Corwin) and vice verso ,,, because our DE's were mostly biggish and our DTs were mostly fast. So Ridgeway at 325 lbs and Pudulski at 290 lbs are not those kind of DTs. So I think we would only have seen both on field in short yardage situations. Even still, our LBers are so big, we can probably get way with single NT in 3-4 formation more than most teams.

Someone please correct me if I am being too simplistic ... I'm more of physical skill sets guy than a formation guy.

And it just occurred to me this is probably what Spack referred to in the 1st episode of Next Step .. when he said they are planning to simplify things on defense and focus more on techniques than on tricky schemes .. may have been referring to efforts to disguise our 4-3 vs 3-4. Just a guess.

Sanantoniobird

fourthandshort said:
ISUBU said:
Chi-bird said:

Spack announced our base defense is officially a 3-4 .. so NT, 2 DEs. Others, more knowledgeable about football formations, have noted it is not a huge change in that we've always kind of had a DE-LB Hybrid roll, which effectively allows defense to toggle (and better disguise) between 3-4 and 4-3 without much change in personnel. Historically, our DTs could almost double as DE or DT (Conley, Keene, Prate, Keoshian, Corwin) and vice verso ,,, because our DE's were mostly biggish and our DTs were mostly fast. So Ridgeway at 325 lbs and Pudulski at 290 lbs are not those kind of DTs. So I think we would only have seen both on field in short yardage situations. Even still, our LBers are so big, we can probably get way with single NT in 3-4 formation more than most teams.

Someone please correct me if I am being too simplistic ... I'm more of physical skill sets guy than a formation guy.

And it just occurred to me this is probably what Spack referred to in the 1st episode of Next Step .. when he said they are planning to simplify things on defense and focus more on techniques than on tricky schemes .. may have been referring to efforts to disguise our 4-3 vs 3-4. Just a guess.
Must have big strong guys on the line, and generally everyone has to do their job, or it can open up a lot for the offense. This isn’t much different than previous years—didn’t see the episode, but simplifying may just mean we see more cover-3?

Chi-bird

I think you’re right, 4th. My thought was that Podkulski would be on the field along with Ridgeway every so often, but most of the time he’d be on the field as NT replacing/spelling him. Either way, I think he was going to be a pretty big part of what we were going to be doing on defense.

Total Red

Staff member
ISUBU said:
Chi-bird said:

Right prior to his injury Podkulski was playing with the first unit alongside Ridgeway

Total Red

Staff member
ISUBU said:
Chi-bird said:

Right prior to his injury Podkulski was playing with the first unit alongside Ridgeway

fourthandshort

Total Red said:
ISUBU said:
Chi-bird said:

As I said .. someone more knowledgeable than me needed to step in = D

fourthandshort

Total Red said:
ISUBU said:
Chi-bird said:

As I said .. someone more knowledgeable than me needed to step in = D

Top Bottom