D-Line hole

Total Red

Staff member
We're going to have to fill the gaping hole in the middle of the D-line with D-tackles Dalton Keene (huge loss) Matt McCown and Blake Hooper all departing.

Options

Promote - from the current group, Galindo, Powell, Podkulski and Ben-Israel. I think Galindo, Podkulski will need more time. Powell might be ready but that gives us one. It's a lot like the O-Line returnees from this past season. If we stand pat we'll be a little shy on experience and talent.

FBS transfer - The quick fix is attractive but not always available. For 2017 we waited for an O-Line transfer and he never arrived. If one appears that's great but we better have another plan.

Grow - Shelby Harris moved inside and he was a quick and highly effective DT at 255 lbs. We have DE candidates (Tuvone Clark, Ryan Guhl) that have some potential to grow into the DT position but it could be a reach.

Poach - This has been a proven winner during the Spack Era. Bradon Prate and Dalton Keene got poached from the Tight End position to become DT's. Ted Corwin went from TE to DE. All of them worked out very well. The problem is we need our TE's right now. Petkovich, Gillum and Taula are needed for the present and future hopes of the TE position and I don't think any of them would be better suited to defense. Where we're deep is the O-Line and the one I'd nab is Cole Anderson. Maybe I'm fooled because he looks like Keene but he plays like a former two-way Redbird lineman - Mike Liedtke. Anderson has good feet and he filled in at OT while Himmelman was out. I think he has the size, movement and athleticism to play DT. Like Liedtke, Anderson could play on either side of the ball. Liedtke was needed on offense so he switched from defense. Now we need help on defense so Anderson gets poached from the OL.

DE's - Harris, Clark
DT's - Powell, Anderson
those are some mutts you can work with

fourthandshort

TR .. good post. I shall be chiming in once I do a little more digging into our current roster. Like you said, Spack and Nowinsky are good at finding offensive players to move to the defense ... aka the "dark side". You missed Keoshian as a recent successful convert. Don't often see a RB/HB turn into DT.

We have several candidates for conversion to DT.

Reggie

Trey Georgie? He was a good DE in high school, and has added size.
I would love to get some power on the d-line. I felt like the line really got pushed around by teams with big o-lines. Would have been nice to line Keene up at DE more on running downs.

Total Red

Staff member
fourthandshort said:
. You missed Keoshian as a recent successful convert. Don't often see a RB/HB turn into DT.

I left that out in consideration to you. You wanted Keoshian moved to LB'er. I wanted him moved to DT ;)

I'll give credit where due. You were the first to recognize that he needed to move at all.

Total Red

Staff member
Reggie said:
Trey Georgie? He was a good DE in high school, and has added size.
I would love to get some power on the d-line. I felt like the line really got pushed around by teams with big o-lines. Would have been nice to line Keene up at DE more on running downs.

Georgie was my 2nd choice. We'll see what happens (if anything).

Chi-bird

Something tells me we have a potential defensive lineman star on the offensive side of the ball in our backup tight end, Robert Gillum.

TreRoberson4Heisman

Chi-bird said:
Something tells me we have a potential defensive lineman star on the offensive side of the ball in our backup tight end, Robert Gillum.

I know all DI athletes should have skills for other sports...especially in HS. With that, Gillum looks like he has freak athleticism. Wonder if Spack will ask him to try D. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1822588/5721e0899a91677e74b4357e

JHBird

Gillum, Basketball...wow. Our team could use him now until our bigs bet back. He looks like a promising TE. But yeah, I could see him as a DE. Not sure about a DT. Needs about 30 more pounds I think. But it's all you can eat in the dorms...

fourthandshort

We've got a bunch of nicely sized RS FR at DT, some of which got reps .. so just hope a couple start developing sooner than later.

Would love to see Gillum in rotation at DE though. Just by looking at his frame in HS, he could easily add 20 lbs or more and still be athletic.

Don't forget we have Notre Dame transfer Josh Barajas at LB (6'2" 240 lbs) who Spack talked about as play the Evan Frierson type position. Looking for Swaine to add some pounds and step it up a notch next fall.

DannyCooksey

fourthandshort said:
We've got a bunch of nicely sized RS FR at DT, some of which got reps .. so just hope a couple start developing sooner than later.

Would love to see Gillum in rotation at DE though. Just by looking at his frame in HS, he could easily add 20 lbs or more and still be athletic.

Don't forget we have Notre Dame transfer Josh Barajas at LB (6'2" 240 lbs) who Spack talked about as play the Evan Frierson type position. Looking for Swaine to add some pounds and step it up a notch next fall.
I am hoping we are targeting a JUCO D-Lineman that can make an immediate impact.

fourthandshort

Total Red said:
fourthandshort said:
. You missed Keoshian as a recent successful convert. Don't often see a RB/HB turn into DT.

I left that out in consideration to you. You wanted Keoshian moved to LB'er. I wanted him moved to DT ;)

I'll give credit where due. You were the first to recognize that he needed to move at all.

forgot about that .. think I said LB or DE. But right, I couldn't imagine him at DT .. but he did well there for us. Kid had a great attitude about it .. he just wanted to help his team. Great athlete for his big as he was.

Gillum may not be as naturally built as Keoshian was, but I think he can put on similar weight and still be an athletic force at DE next year, then maybe DT in 2 years.

People talk about missing Keene, Conley, and McCownfrom DL. But we're going to miss James Graham too .. we need to find a guy like him to just cut loose on speed rushes. He was so hard to block at 220 lbs .. powerful low center of gravity with great speed around the edge. Davontae was good on the corner blitz as well. Got to find guys like that for 2018.

Top Bottom