Conference USA Scheduling

Redbird222

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall_sports/chuck-landon-c-usa-making-big-moves-in-hoops/article_dad0483a-c987-5b60-9041-bfc87418accd.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

While the MVC is a 10 league team and this type of scheduling is perhaps not applicable, this is still interesting to me. At least this league is looking what they can do to manipulate the schedule as much as possible to get the highest seed and/or maybe get a second team.

The Mountain West challenge is good. Can we add other challenges? Is it time to bring back bracket busters? What else can the MVC do? Di we expand the league in a year when a team doesn't drpart? Sitting pat is not the answer.

Bird Friend

Interesting move, but it will only matter if the top 5 have a good enough SOS, quality wins, and RPI. If they're all top 100, but none in top 50 . . . it's a worthless play. If any of the top 5 are outside the top 100, upsets by those teams could prove devastating, while wins by the top 2 would be expected and not help much to make their case for a bid.

It's a big gamble. Is it worth it?

bb fan

Good points, Bird Friend. I have some of the same thoughts. The committee will find anythng they can to dupe the non P5's. I am not sure this is a way around that. I am concerned it will give the team that might get that second bid too many overall losses.. This is worth a shot, though.

Amazing a 14 team conference with some pretty good teams has been shut down too the one auto bid. It really does not bode well for those who think the Valley should expand.

Metamoron

Don’t like it. Think it will hurt second team, not help.

But think it through to next step...

If you are a P5 team you do just the opposite. You “seed” your teams in middle of season and then you have your middle teams play your bottom teams. Results; Your .500 teams end up better because they feed on the weaker teams and the top teams, who are in anyway just play one another.

TheTruth

If nothing else, CUSA has to do something about their tournament. That thing was a trainwreck this year.

Redbird222

bb fan said:
Good points, Bird Friend. I have some of the same thoughts. The committee will find anythng they can to dupe the non P5's. I am not sure this is a way around that. I am concerned it will give the team that might get that second bid too many overall losses.. This is worth a shot, though.

Amazing a 14 team conference with some pretty good teams has been shut down too the one auto bid. It really does not bode well for those who think the Valley should expand.
I think mathematically it helps the first place team the most and then 2nd etc.. the cinference is trying to get the first place team a higher seed or if upset in conference tournament they have better chance for at-large. It's interesting and I think it makes sense since they have an unbalanced schedule already.

Jsnhbe1Birds

bb fan said:
So, what happened at the CUSA tourney?

men and women played at the same time in a big arena split in two
horrible environment. not inviting at all. very impersonal.

wire-2456072-1520495436-85_634x362.jpg

cubird

Apparently, all that football $ does not trickle down to a better basketball arena experience ;)

jbird

Counterproductive. Pitting the top 5 against each other several times likely means a less impressive wins and losses record, and we already know that RPI means nothing for a non-P5 conference.

Adunk33

Staff member
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
bb fan said:
So, what happened at the CUSA tourney?

men and women played at the same time in a big arena split in two
horrible environment. not inviting at all. very impersonal.

wire-2456072-1520495436-85_634x362.jpg

This has me in total awe. How would they think this is a good idea? CUSA has completely imploded from the one that had Louisville, Marquette, Cincy, etc.

As far as the scheduling thing... not sure I'm a fan

Metamoron

I have always thought it would be fun to have the guys and gals play the same weekend in the same town. Especially semi and final days. But gawd, not in the same venue at the same time!!!

Jsnhbe1Birds

bb fan said:
WOW. That was a terrible idea. Looks crazy.

It will be horrible in 2019, as well. We'll see what the next contract brings CUSA because they move an awful lot.

Top Bottom