Camp update

Redbirdfan21

Was posted in another thread I think but thought it was worthy of its own...

https://twitter.com/pg_reinhardt/status/892553324117078017

ISUBU

So it seems that they'll be trying out lots of different people and different combinations on the OLine during Fall camp. Lots of potential pieces and it seems that there may not be too many clear performance gaps between players. This is really a good test of the system, as we're moving forward guys that have been around for at least a year. Coach Spack is on record as thinking this fall camp is too long, but on the bright side this may give more time for the coaches to watch different groups of guys.

On the other side of the ball, we're not hearing as much yet about the development of the linebackers. That is another entire group to replace, and even though we have added a couple of transfers, everyone needs to get on the same page for coverages and responsibilities. I'd guess that even more than physical ability, it will be the ability to learn and apply the defensive schemes that will determine playing time.

Source

I listened to Spack's presser from earlier this week. Coach is not happy with the amount of time they have on the field before their first game because of the likelihood of injury, and players just get sick of hurting each other. At the same time, he likes it because in a year when he loses his entire Oline and has some other pieces to fill he has ample time to do so. He has the luxury to change things up. He mentioned he hadn't used the the same Oline combination on back to back days. He has a ton of options.

Also an interesting tidbit that Coach mentioned. He recruited Trent Hatfield here as a safety. Once he got her Spack said he'll probably stay at QB.

fourthandshort

todays camp report .. man, our defense must suck afterall .. offense tore it up !!!

http://goredbirds.com/news/2017/8/3/football-fall-camp-report-offense-dynamic-in-fourth-practice.aspx

can't wait to see Kolbe live and then our RB's. Petkovic had another big day ... we have found the TE postion people !!!!

p.s. kidding about our defense .. they do not suck, they will be very good .. but good to hear offense got a little mojo going though.

Phantom

Good to hear the offense is clicking a bit. Sure it's only practice, but every little bit more the guys can get in sync the better.

Same for the defense---only it's also intangibly good for them to get lit up in practice once in awhile. It creates motivation and energy. If the team competes hard against each other in camp, then they'll be ready to kill someone else come opening night.

JHBird

Martel busted a 95 yarder! He's my sleeper for this year. Him and Robinson will be studs.

ISUBU

I'm wondering who is going to emerge among the receivers beyond Schnell, Gibbs, Fowler and the TEs. I will be surprised if those guys aren't the first team, but there is certainly opportunity to someone or two to step up and make a few key catches.

Top Bottom