Bye, bye ncaa...

gobirds85

A NIL tournament for November 2024 has just been announced. Eight teams, at first, in Vegas and each team gets $1 mil up front and the winning team gets another $1 mil to spread amongst their players. Plus it's all expenses paid, so this should really impact the pre-conf tourneys. It's all about revenue sharing now and the ncaa is either going to be forced to change or be left out. I hate the ncaa, but college sports is so f*cked up right now. The rich will get way richer and the rest of us won't.

Last edited:

Moreorless

A NIL tournament for November 2024 has just been announced. Eight teams, at first, in Vegas and each team gets $1 mil up front and the winning team gets another $1 mil to spread amongst their players. Plus it's all expenses paid, so this should really impact the pre-conf tourneys. It's all about revenue sharing now and the ncaa is either going to be forced to change or be left out. I hate the ncaa, but college sports is so f*cked up right now. the rich will get way richer and the rest of us won't.
Wow

gobirds85

And what happens if/when they decide to have a tournament in March? The ncaa is going to have to dig into their deep pockets to fight off the impending attack.

dpdoughbird06

And what happens if/when they decide to have a tournament in March? The ncaa is going to have to dig into their deep pockets to fight off the impending attack.
The CBS billions make it safe…for now. They’ve figured out how to maximize the P5 take while keeping the underdog stories alive on life support by still taking all conference champions.

March Madness also serves as a fertile proving ground for P5s to identify who to poach a month later. Would anyone have had their eyes on St. Peter’s players if they hadn’t taken down Purdue and made their run? I’d say the current former serves them quite well. This new nonsense just sweetens the pot for the haves.

B

BirdGrad2011

A NIL tournament for November 2024 has just been announced. Eight teams, at first, in Vegas and each team gets $1 mil up front and the winning team gets another $1 mil to spread amongst their players. Plus it's all expenses paid, so this should really impact the pre-conf tourneys. It's all about revenue sharing now and the ncaa is either going to be forced to change or be left out. I hate the ncaa, but college sports is so f*cked up right now. The rich will get way richer and the rest of us won't.
This won’t work. Who’s funding it? Will it even make money? A lot of those tournaments in Vegas draw few fans. I don’t see it changing, but most people don’t care about November basketball.

gobirds85

This won’t work. Who’s funding it? Will it even make money? A lot of those tournaments in Vegas draw few fans. I don’t see it changing, but most people don’t care about November basketball.

Some private entity is driving this. I believe it will work because they will go after big name schools and they are paying them to play. Show me one November tournament that does that. If it’s in November, it will have to be early to mid month as F1 is there late in November. Time will tell.

ChiRedbirdfan

I find it intriguing.
It may be fun to watch from a lot of fans perspective esp given time of year and seeing how hard these “starving players “ will play for a payout (facetious). Meaningful fan interest can generate significant tv revenue. So organizers gotta receive 9mm plus expenses to break even. Will it make a positive return … who knows but I’ll bet it must have a decent chance or it will not be happening. Several revenue channels in Vegas to tap that would not exist elsewhere.

Redbird222

The CBS billions make it safe…for now. They’ve figured out how to maximize the P5 take while keeping the underdog stories alive on life support by still taking all conference champions.

March Madness also serves as a fertile proving ground for P5s to identify who to poach a month later. Would anyone have had their eyes on St. Peter’s players if they hadn’t taken down Purdue and made their run? I’d say the current former serves them quite well. This new nonsense just sweetens the pot for the haves.
CBS contract runs through 2032. It will be interesting when it expires. The SEC and Big Ten should be in full control by then

Redbird222

It's about TV, streaming and sponsor revenue. 9mm plus production and travel costs. They might be able to turn a profit ... 12 games to get the revenue from

topiarydan

One day soon it's all gonna implode. These kids should be paid but as part time employees on one year contracts- you're a student (which your tuition is taken care) and then an athlete. You get bonus for staying another year and for performance metrics. And you can be terminated. Avila makes 30K at Indy State and got a Blazer - hearing UK offering him 150K to transfer next year. That's outrageous

ChiRedbirdfan

One day soon it's all gonna implode. These kids should be paid but as part time employees on one year contracts- you're a student (which your tuition is taken care) and then an athlete. You get bonus for staying another year and for performance metrics. And you can be terminated. Avila makes 30K at Indy State and got a Blazer - hearing UK offering him 150K to transfer next year. That's outrageous
Our laws and judicial system seem to strongly disagree with your thoughts. You can not restrain a person (in this case individual college basketball players) ability to earn an income by imposing restrictions on what and how they can earn an income. No one would like it if their industry imposed arbitrary rules and restrictions on how and how much they can earn. Right?

Yes it interferes with the way historic college sports has functioned but the evolution of college athletics has resulted in a multibillion dollar industry. Some conferences are signing multi year/multi billion media contracts, some university athletic departments earn a 1/4 billion a year in revenue and some coaches are getting paid $ 10 mil a year yet the front line workers should be restricted (grossly in some cases) somehow by arbitrary earnings cap?

Yea I prefer the old college sports environment too but that changed a long time ago and many of the unintended consequences of that changed environment are finally becoming apparent. Gotta embrace the reality or choose to do something else.

People keep saying doomsday is here or coming soon for college sports whenever there is an evolution (title 9, conf realignment, NIL, portal…etc) yet the industry keeps growing. I have been hearing about doomsday for 25 years yet here we are.

Just sharing my perspective on what I believe is happening. Would be interested to hear if others believe the fundamentals are different.

Last edited:

Hamdonger

Our laws and judicial system seem to strongly disagree with your thoughts. You can not restrain a person (in this case individual college basketball players) ability to earn an income by imposing restrictions on what and how they can earn an income. No one would like it if their industry imposed arbitrary rules and restrictions and how and how much they can earn. Right?

Yes it interferes with the way historic college sports has functioned but the evolution of college athletics has resulted in a multibillion dollar industry. Some conferences are signing multi year/multi billion media contracts, some university athletic departments earn a 1/4 billion a year and some coaches are getting paid $ 10 mil a year yet the front line workers should be restricted (grossly in some cases) somehow by arbitrary earnings cap?

Yea I prefer the old college sports environment too but that changed a long time ago and many of the unintended consequences of that changed environment are finally becoming apparent. Gotta embrace the reality or chose to do something else. I

People keep saying doomsday is here or coming soon for college sports whenever there is an evolution (title 9, conf realignment, NIL, portal…etc) yet the industry keeps growing. I have been hearing that for 25 years yet here we are.

Just sharing my perspective on what I believe is happening. Would be interested to hear if others believe the fundamentals are different.
What I really want to say, ChiRedbirdFan, is F*** YOU, f*** the horse you rode in on, and f**ity f*** f***. Maybe we can share my feelings over a beer.

But I know you're right. I do see an implosion coming, but in this regard. A strategically designed earthquake that'll split the D1 landscape into permanent haves and have nots. But even when they're on their island, I still have the hunch...even that will implode. I can't tell you how other than the greed and self-servicing will be the source.

I watch very little college basketball other than ISU, although The Dance still peaks my interest, cause it makes me a kid again...rooting for every midmajor underdog. Even in the dumper, it makes me root even more for this school I love...I-S-U - GO. I'm in it with ISU, good or bad. I'll never turn my back on her. She was too good to me.

Suddenly in the midst of all this greed and madness, I find myself thinking about the student-athlete Jeff Harris...

ChiRedbirdfan

What I really want to say, ChiRedbirdFan, is F*** YOU, f*** the horse you rode in on, and f**ity f*** f***. Maybe we can share my feelings over a beer.

But I know you're right. I do see an implosion coming, but in this regard. A strategically designed earthquake that'll split the D1 landscape into permanent haves and have nots. But even when they're on their island, I still have the hunch...even that will implode. I can't tell you how other than the greed and self-servicing will be the source.

I watch very little college basketball other than ISU, although The Dance still peaks my interest, cause it makes me a kid again...rooting for every midmajor underdog. Even in the dumper, it makes me root even more for this school I love...I-S-U - GO. I'm in it with ISU, good or bad. I'll never turn my back on her. She was too good to me.

Suddenly in the midst of all this greed and madness, I find myself thinking about the student-athlete Jeff Harris...
Great post…I agree with you more significant changes (further division of the haves and have nots) are coming like many significant changes that have already happened (portal, nil, conf..etc). Yes $$$$s and greed, driven mainly by university athletic departments and their valuable media rights is the force driving the change. Like all changes there will be winners and losers.

Top Bottom