Butler Predictions Thread

Phantom

Alright boys & girls, it's go time.

Lots to be encouraged about heading into this season, particularly on D. I think we come out and set the tone early. Defense gets some turnovers and Jake gets rolling as the game goes on.

Redbirds 34
Bulldogs 14

Attendance: 12,668

Redbirdfan21

Wish I could be there.... I'll be busy getting ready to get married on Sunday :shock: ...

Birds 38
Bulldogs 13

fourthandshort

48-10 ... with most of their points coming in Q4, barring a special teams fluke or gaffe,

Butler was 4-7, but 2-7 against D-I. Their 2 D-I wins were Valpo by 9 and Davidson by 3. We played horribly Q1 (up 7-3) against Valpo and dialed it down Q4 and still beat Valpo by 37. Butler offense was very weak last year and lost 5.7 starters. I don;t see how they move the ball at all the first 3 qtrs.

Our offense will probably cut playbook in half and show some inconsistency at times .. but otherwise have their way once they get dialed up.

jbird

cpacmel said:
Illinois state -32.5
Over / under 51

I'll likely be proven a fool (lowest burden of proof in the history of American jurisprudence), but take the points and the Under. My preview is that skeptics will be concerned about a sluggish offense in the opener, but our defense will outclass Butler on nearly every play of every possession.

'Birds 24

Bulldogs 0

Redbirdwarrior

Welp, Saturday is the day we've been waiting on.

Forecast: 76 degrees and mostly sunny. I expect it to be 13,500+ in the house, injured by the fact that many students will go home for the long weekend.

5 score favorites is telling, but I can't disagree. This defense will be the best defense any player on Butler's team has seen at any level or will see in their entire football careers.

Here is something you probably didn't know: There are 15 players listed as OL on their team. ZERO seniors. NINE Freshmen. Against this front 7, which is full of absolute maulers and at least one NFL caliber player. Honestly, I just hope their QB does not get injured.

ISU: 52
Butler: 6

MadBird

I mistakenly posted my Butler prediction on the SEASON prediction page earlier this morning (too early I guess!!). Here you go:

Recognizing year-to-year comparisons aren't perfect, but anyway . . . .

Butler opened on the road last year and lost to InSU 41-25. They finished 4-7, 2-6 in their conference. In 2015, they lost to InSU 52-17. In 2014, they lost to YSU 44-13. So they have a recent history of taking on the FCS teams, putting a few points on the board (altho who knows if they put them up against the "starters" or late game vs. the scrubs), but giving up some points. They were picked 7th in the Pioneer League

We have a tested, stout defense (we think) and a promising O with a relatively young line (we need to start taking into account that Kanugh has 6 starts, so not totally green, and Helt is a senior with a fair amount of playing time). And good size. And deep on D - look at who hits the field when we put our second string in. We took Valpo 50-13 last year, and whooped up on the likes of Morgan St., Miss.Valley State, etc. in recent years.

I'm gonna say the D starts a season where they give up points very grudgingly through the two-deep. And our RB's make a statement that we're going to be able to rush the ball this year.

Birds -- 48
Bad Dogs - 10

There is a "quote" today in the Minneapolis paper, attributed to former Gopher coach Glen Mason, about the ideal backfield setup - "a pair and a spare". That's what we look to have.

fourthandshort

MadBird said:
I mistakenly posted my Butler prediction on the SEASON prediction page earlier this morning (too early I guess!!). Here you go:

Recognizing year-to-year comparisons aren't perfect, but anyway . . . .

Butler opened on the road last year and lost to InSU 41-25. They finished 4-7, 2-6 in their conference. In 2015, they lost to InSU 52-17. In 2014, they lost to YSU 44-13. So they have a recent history of taking on the FCS teams, putting a few points on the board (altho who knows if they put them up against the "starters" or late game vs. the scrubs), but giving up some points. They were picked 7th in the Pioneer League

We have a tested, stout defense (we think) and a promising O with a relatively young line (we need to start taking into account that Kanugh has 6 starts, so not totally green, and Helt is a senior with a fair amount of playing time). And good size. And deep on D - look at who hits the field when we put our second string in. We took Valpo 50-13 last year, and whooped up on the likes of Morgan St., Miss.Valley State, etc. in recent years.

I'm gonna say the D starts a season where they give up points very grudgingly through the two-deep. And our RB's make a statement that we're going to be able to rush the ball this year.

Birds -- 48
Bad Dogs - 10

There is a "quote" today in the Minneapolis paper, attributed to former Gopher coach Glen Mason, about the ideal backfield setup - "a pair and a spare". That's what we look to have.

InSU was up 38-3 well into Q3 before Butler scored 3 TDs after subs came in. But InSU did not statitically steamroll them.

graduated a below average starting QB (5'11" 190 lb), sort of dual threat. His back up had played part time (100+ passes) and struggled ... 6'4" 220 lb .. presumably takes over as pocket type. Their OL is young other poster said, and pretty small by MVFC standards (260-290). Their run defense some. Good game to stretch our pass game legs a bit to see where OL is with 5-7 step drops. But obviously will be able to run on them .. though i doubt we will stream roll them early.

DannyCooksey

My apologies if this was posted elsewhere but do we know who the starting O Line is?

DaveBird10

DannyCooksey said:
My apologies if this was posted elsewhere but do we know who the starting O Line is?
According to randy in the pantagraph from left to right it's
Himmelman, rients, helt, kanugh, o'day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

PurpleRedbird

If somebody got a bobble head and doesn't want it please PM me. Want to try to find one for a friend's young son.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom