Brock Spack Legacy

Redbirdwarrior

This weekend marked the 100th win of Brock Spack's Illinois State head coaching run. He is now 100-69 helming the ship (a 59.2% WP) with two conference championships, a national title appearance and what looks to be, with a win on Saturday, 11 of 15 seasons being winning seasons. I know that many of us here get angry that we have not been able to repeat the success of 2014's glorious national title appearance run, but I think Coach Spack's legacy at ISU is one of great success, character and consistency. In this world of coaches winning then bailing for bigger programs, it has been an incredible boon to the program to have him anchor it for 15 years when, I'm entirely certain, bigger schools have called and called again.

He is already the winningest head coach in ISU's 130 year football history and is in pace to pass Edwin Struck's 18 years as head coach.

I know I am very high on the man as the leader of the program and as a key leader within the University itself, but I am interested to see what you all think Coach Spack's legacy is now and will be when all is said and done at ISU.

TBS_20

Two things can be true at once. I don't think there is any doubt that he is the best coach ISU has ever had. He took them to 1 minute of National title. He also stayed and didn't try to move up when he probably could have. Sell the naming rights to someone, make some money, and name the field after him, a la Cefcu Arena and Doug Collins Court.

fourthandshort

This weekend marked the 100th win of Brock Spack's Illinois State head coaching run. He is now 100-69 helming the ship (a 59.2% WP) with two conference championships, a national title appearance and what looks to be, with a win on Saturday, 11 of 15 seasons being winning seasons. I know that many of us here get angry that we have not been able to repeat the success of 2014's glorious national title appearance run, but I think Coach Spack's legacy at ISU is one of great success, character and consistency. In this world of coaches winning then bailing for bigger programs, it has been an incredible boon to the program to have him anchor it for 15 years when, I'm entirely certain, bigger schools have called and called again.

He is already the winningest head coach in ISU's 130 year football history and is in pace to pass Edwin Struck's 18 years as head coach.

I know I am very high on the man as the leader of the program and as a key leader within the University itself, but I am interested to see what you all think Coach Spack's legacy is now and will be when all is said and done at ISU.
Well said !!

Would only add ... he did this during an era when the MVFC was hands down the best conference in FCS. And not just because of NDSUs dominance. Our .650 playoff win rate against other conferences, excluding NDSUs .950, is all the evidence needed. To be clear, this stat were and are still the top conference in FCS excluding NDSU. No other conference is even close including their top program.

Congrats on big milestone to Coach Spack.

Birgs

Two things can be true at once. I don't think there is any doubt that he is the best coach ISU has ever had. He took them to 1 minute of National title. He also stayed and didn't try to move up when he probably could have. Sell the naming rights to someone, make some money, and name the field after him, a la Cefcu Arena and Doug Collins Court.
Maybe do something associating his name with the IPF for posterity's sake considering the fruits of his era.

Hamdonger

Maybe do something associating his name with the IPF for posterity's sake considering the fruits of his era.
I really do like Brock.👍👍 There's no doubt he loves this place. He's done well for us. He's been a good coach. I wouldn't deem it as great...he had one great season out of 15. Let's reserve names for the truly great.

Birgs

The lead role for "Back the 'Stache: The Brock
I really do like Brock.👍👍 There's no doubt he loves this place. He's done well for us. He's been a good coach. I wouldn't deem it as great...he had one great season out of 15. Let's reserve names for the truly great.
Hancock's 19 career ties at ISU is the epitome of greatness. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I do see what you mean, though.

SlackBooDom

What is your barometer for a “truly great” football coach at Illinois State? If Brock Spack isn’t, do you think it is possible anyone will be?

TBS_20

What is your barometer for a “truly great” football coach at Illinois State? If Brock Spack isn’t, do you think it is possible anyone will be?
I think Brock was very good but no longer is. Things change.

Hamdonger

The lead role for "Back the 'Stache: The Brock

Hancock's 19 career ties at ISU is the epitome of greatness. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I do see what you mean, though.
And I see what you mean, too.

Hamdonger

One great season out of 15 isn't great over 15 years. Man it just isn't! Is he a great DC?? Yeah, maybe so. I think that can be legitimately argued. As a head coach? I just don't think so. I was very happy to see him get honored tonight at the basketball game. My feelings for him are very warm. Under .500 in conference play in the last going on 8 years. EIGHT. That's my barometer. And we want to name a field after him?? No, man! It just is what it is.🤷‍♂️ He's good as a head coach! Not great. Only my opinion and I'm fine with your disagreement.

Hamdonger

So my point is...at this point - the field, practice facility, whatever...shouldn't be named after a coach. And yes I sure as sugar believe it is possible for someone to be truly great here.

fourthandshort

Hard not to view our best football coach ever as great, particularly considering the 2 major headwinds he faced:

1. our lackluster football history .. ISU is financially prudent university that places value on all sports, which is unlike most schools, iin that it comes at the expense of football. I dont necessarily like or agree with their approach. But I can at least respect it. I know many here vehemently disagree with this approach ... but look at our financial stability and our all sports success ... we stand above most or all of our peer schools.

2. as Ive said ad nauseum, we played in the most dominant conference, which coincided exactly with the entire Spack era ... he started on 2009, and the MVFC had just began it's quick ascent. It is arguably the strongest FCS/I-AA conference ever over the last 13 seasons.

So when you play in a conference, where you have the best FCS ever (NDSU) and then a top 5, though currently best in FCS (SDSU). You start most seasons playing for 3rd place. Noting again, our MVFC playoff teams have a .650 win rate in playoffs, excluding NDSU's .950 win rate, excluding inter-MVFC playoff games. Which further proves, we should have gotten even more bids over the last 13 years.- .. we won 2/3rds of our playoff games against all other conferences, rarely drawing all those weak autobid teams from east coast like NEC, Patriot, Big South, MEAC, etc.

And not just ISU, but every other MVFC team and 98% of the FCS programs, with occasional exception of programs like JMU, EWU, and SHSU .. none of which has been factor of late. Even as Big Sky emerged in recent 4 years, their best teams still can't get past our big 2.

For me, all this considered, we were very lucky to have him. Yes he is flawed, but most coaches are. But I highly doubt there was any other coach out there that could have had his level of success at ISU under these circumstances. Maybe that has now changed. But if it did change, it is largely because of Spack. IMO, he raised the bar here in a way very few could have, esepcially given these headwinds.

edit: all that said, it may be time for a change. But if so, it should be handled with the respect it deserves for our best football coach ever.

Last edited:

Chi-bird

Everything is relative. 100 wins over that timeframe is not good enough for Alabama…..and is all but impossible for Vanderbilt.

Brock has elevated the program both on and off the field and I’m grateful for him. I think we’re 2 seasons away from going back to Frisco.

Repeat champs in 2025 and 2026 has a nice sound to it.

fourthandshort

Everything is relative. 100 wins over that timeframe is not good enough for Alabama…..and is all but impossible for Vanderbilt.

Brock has elevated the program both on and off the field and I’m grateful for him. I think we’re 2 seasons away from going back to Frisco.

whoa ...

1699749297767.png

Redbird15

Two season from now to build back up to where ISU is now starting next year.........

Top Bottom