Brian Anderson- New WR Coach

Adunk33

Staff member
http://www.goredbirds.com/news/2018/1/5/anderson-hired-as-redbird-football-wide-receivers-coach.aspx

fourthandshort

nice resume .. surprised we got an FBS WR position coach like this .. and he played WR at WIU. Can only assume he knows the position very well .. played it a FCS level and coached it at FBS level. Seems like a good get for us ... now, maybe he can get su a few Big 10 transfers at WR position ???

Welcome to Redbird Nation !!

MadBird

fourthandshort said:
nice resume .. surprised we got an FBS WR position coach like this .. and he played WR at WIU. Can only assume he knows the position very well .. played it a FCS level and coached it at FBS level. Seems like a good get for us ... now, maybe he can get su a few Big 10 transfers at WR position ???

Agree with your assessment, hard to argue with his background. I'm partial to Coach Kill, so anyone associated with him for so long is great by me.

Not sure if any of the Gopher WR transfers have landed anywhere, but there were 2-3 at least. Can't hurt!

fourthandshort

in my opinion, we have done very well with the offensive coaches so far .. OC/QB Beathard, OL Etheridge, and now WR Anderson .. all 3 with lot of good experience both coaching and playing ... looking very promising on offense for next season.

As for the DC .. I like his resume, but can't yet say I love his resume .. first time DC, but did also coach and play the DL position .. so liking that aspect for sure. We'll see how he does as first time DC ... the good news is we are set on offense, so Spack can focus on defense and grooming new DC Niekamp. So in that sense, I like what we've done so far to shore up coaching staff.

Note, UNI lost a lot of coaches after 2016 and really struggled to get them replaced .. we did not struggle, so that is good further sign.

Reggie Redbird

fourthandshort said:

As far as I know, he wasn't the Minnesota WR coach after Fleck came aboard. I'm guessing he wanted to get back into D1 coaching after sitting out last year. That doesn't mean he won't have connections with their transfers though.l

Matt Simon took over coaching Minny's WRs in Jan. 2017.

MadBird

Reggie Redbird said:
fourthandshort said:

As far as I know, he wasn't the Minnesota WR coach after Fleck came aboard. I'm guessing he wanted to get back into D1 coaching after sitting out last year. That doesn't mean he won't have connections with their transfers though.l

No, chances are he recruited all three that transferred out. I found that one of them transferred to Southern U., so two are still available.

fourthandshort

Reggie Redbird said:
fourthandshort said:

good catch

Total Red

Staff member
The fastest way for RBF.net to forget about you is to be redshirted. We brought in some good WR candidates last year (Patterson, Edgar, Price) and they sat out. Hadden from FAU got his feet wet with 6 catches and he may be be ready for much more. That foursome along with returning starter Schnell has potential. I haven't seen enough to know which one(s) will emerge but I'll bet one of those 4 has a good year in '18.

And then sure, we can add a FBS transfer from Minny or another school. But let's not assume that the players that didn't play aren't any good. The Newcomer of the Year (2017) in the MVFC was from NDSU and he redshirted in '16. We need to get that level when even some high quality players redshirt. Maybe we have a QB that did.

ISUBU

I agree that we do overlook our redshirt players. I think we're generally in the dark about their ability to make an impact and their development. It may show in practice, but we don't get those reports very often.

The WR need last season was great enough that I'm pretty sure we actually played Patterson instead of redshirting him. I also think the coaches were high on that Juco from California who didn't complete enough academics to be eligible in 2017. Hopefully he'll be ready in 2018.

I'm excited about the size of Price from Mt. Zion. Tall WRs are causing matchup issues all over the place, and that's a piece we really haven't had. This coaching staff has been successful at moving players to new positions. Maybe we have some other future WRs on the roster. Traditionally, QBs who aren't playing enough know the routes already....

fourthandshort

agree on redshirt dynamic, and one or more WRs could emerge quickly.

But given the clear gap after Schnell and Gibbs (reminder Gibbs was injured for a month) last season, I'm assuming Spack would have been very inclined to pull a RS if it could have helped the offense .. not to mention, sent a strong message to the "sometimes guys" that they need to become "everyday guys". Spack hinted at this several times in interviews .. beginning in August camp, all the way to end of season. He never called anyone out individually, but did call the group out.

With Gibbs graduating ... Hope Im wrong.

p.s. someone remind me why the hell we played Gibbs as true FR in 2014 .. that roster was stacked.

Total Red

Staff member
fourthandshort said:
agree on redshirt dynamic, and one or more WRs could emerge quickly.

But given the clear gap after Schnell and Gibbs (reminder Gibbs was injured for a month) last season, I'm assuming Spack would have been very inclined to pull a RS if it could have helped the offense .. not to mention, sent a strong message to the "sometimes guys" that they need to become "everyday guys". Spack hinted at this several times in interviews .. beginning in August camp, all the way to end of season. He never called anyone out individually, but did call the group out.

With Gibbs graduating ... Hope Im wrong.

p.s. someone remind me why the hell we played Gibbs as true FR in 2014 .. that roster was stacked.

We have a lot young receivers that played a little or not at all last year. As freshman or redshirt freshmen they may not have been able to help yet but again I'm guessing that at least one member of that group made a major step forward and he'll be ready to contribute this year. Players are moving targets. They develop. You can see what they've been but it's harder to see what they will be. I already called myself out on Cam Lee. The first time I saw him I thought he was terrible. I wasn't wrong, he was terrible as a young O-lineman but he got a LOT better. I also blew it on Adam Conley. Going into his junior year I didn't have him on the 2-deep at DE. I was still steaming about the Richmond playoff game at the end of his Soph year. I was right about his play at that time. I defy anyone to go back and watch the youtube of the Richmond loss and tell me that Conley didn't suck the big wazoo that night. But I was wrong about his future. He came back as a starter in '16 and he was bigger and stronger with better endurance. He continued as a starter his senior year and played well so I continue to learn.
We had a lot of younger WR's that weren't ready to help in '17. That was '17. Someone will emerge.

Total Red

Staff member
We also have an unconfirmed report that this guy is coming in the summer. http://iuhoosiers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8772

Big - has played football and basketball. He could play either WR or TE. The WR picture will change a half dozen times before Sept 1. Hopefully for the better.

TreRoberson4Heisman

Total Red said:
We also have an unconfirmed report that this guy is coming in the summer. http://iuhoosiers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8772

Big - has played football and basketball. He could play either WR or TE. The WR picture will change a half dozen times before Sept 1. Hopefully for the better.

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2017/09/former-hoosier-jordan-fuchs-positions-himself-for-another-shot-at-college-football

From Sept ‘17...“Fuchs could have been at Illinois State right now. He visited the program this past spring and said the medical staff told him his ankle was fine. But his grades prevented him from doing so, and after taking a couple summer classes in Bloomington, he switched to IU-East so that after the fall semester, he would be academically eligible to use his last year of eligibility to play anywhere.“

DannyCooksey

Good looking resume. Lots of experience. I love Coach Kill so if he worked under him that's a great thing.

I think there is talent in the WR room. Need the right offense and coaching to unlock it. Hopefully Coach Beathard and Coach Anderson will get that done.

fourthandshort

TreRoberson4Heisman said:
https://twitter.com/therealjordan81/status/950913976736591872

Missed this earlier .. but this guys is a TE for sure. Had some trouble at IU, but there were extenuating circumstances related to how he and others injured players were mistreated. But there were also issues related grades and then he admitted to trying a steroid to help is recovery from injury. Been thru a lot .. hope he has his head on straight now. Petkovich cold use some help at TE.

MadBird

Soph. to be Billy Bair is listed at WR on the current roster (from last year's TE). Whether Gillum is switched over to D or not (not sure there's anymore to that than speculation on the board), Fuchs would be a good addition to the TE lineup. Glad to have him.

Total Red

Staff member
fourthandshort said:
Missed this earlier .. but this guys is a TE for sure.

I wouldn't say TE for sure.

1- He had trouble keeping up TE weight at Indiana.
2 - Someome named Hereiam identified him as a WR on the Recruiting forum. Maybe Fuchs himself?

"Jordan Fuchs 6 ft 6 235 wr. Coming in summer
Graduate student"

I hope he completes his classes and makes it here.

Reggie Redbird

Total Red said:
fourthandshort said:

2 - Someome named Hereiam identified him as a WR on the Recruiting forum. Maybe Fuchs himself?

Graduate student"

Even if he doesn't complete his classes and enroll as a graduate student, wouldn't he be eligible for stepping down a division?

Here's a thought for him: play year 1, play year 2, and play bball for Muller after that? :D

Seriously, he is someone who looks like he has the physical talents to be a great addition to our team and very tough for a Valley LB or DB to cover.

fourthandshort

Reggie Redbird said:
Total Red said:
fourthandshort said:

Graduate student"

Even if he doesn't complete his classes and enroll as a graduate student, wouldn't he be eligible for stepping down a division?

Here's a thought for him: play year 1, play year 2, and play bball for Muller after that? :D

Seriously, he is someone who looks like he has the physical talents to be a great addition to our team and very tough for a Valley LB or DB to cover.
looking at his FB and BB tapes, he's a good athlete for his size, but he does not have WR speed or agility and his footwork needs more work. So I think he will have trouble creating any separation against DBs. I think he can create a lot more mismatches playing from TE position,

Top Bottom