Bison looking for a new head coach

ChiRedbirdfan

Interesting he is leaving NDSU to only be linebackers coach...albeit at a power P5. Unless there are other intangibles (family, sick of living in Fargo..etc) makes me wonder if he was moving on before he got forced to move on?

Dmills

Interesting he is leaving NDSU to only be linebackers coach...albeit at a power P5. Unless there are other intangibles (family, sick of living in Fargo..etc) makes me wonder if he was moving on before he got forced to move on?
It is definitely strange. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for him to accept an defensive coordinator position at a P5. His predecessors in Bohl and Klieman accepted HC jobs at Wyoming and Kansas State, respectively. He was making "nearly $400 k" at NDSU. I don't think there would be a significant pay raise, if any. I'm confused. I think he could've gotten an FBS head coaching job if he waited for the right opportunity.

Chi-bird

Definitely a bizarre move. Perhaps the chance of getting spanked by SDSU in Frisco and subsequently losing his prestige was weighing on him. One step back to hope to go two steps forward.

TBS_20

Bisonville forum has been calling for his head. I think you nailed it.

Manchester Matt

I listen to ESPNU Radio every morning on my way to work and Danny Kanell and Dusty Dvoracek said Entz will also be the associate head coach and make around $800,000. That's a significant raise.

fourthandshort

This ... base has near zero confidence in him. He has the best record in FCS during his time, but 10 losses in 5 years is unacceptable in Fargo. That they are likely in midst of another run to Natty game is quite ironic. A slightly different debate in Normal, IL !!

He won 2 Nattys and is on a collision course with SDSU again after his worst season, with 3 reg season losses, to all 3 fellow Dakota teams, before destroying 3 seed USD this past week. Rumors of their death were greatly exaggerated. The 2 seasons they didn't win it so far, were SHSU in 2020-21 spring pandemic season, and then last year to SDSU. He'll likely have made the Natty in 4 of 5 years, with only the 2020-21 pandemic season being his biggest blemish.

Oh too have those problems !!!!

"Entz posted a 60-10 overall record in his 5 years (2019-23) as the head coach at North Dakota State for an impressive .857 winning percentage. He led his team to 2 NCAA Division I FCS national championships, including in his first season as the head coach"

Head coaching record​

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsSTATS#Coaches°
North Dakota State Bison (Missouri Valley Football Conference) (2019–present)
2019North Dakota State16–08–01stW NCAA Division I Championship11
2020North Dakota State7–35–24thL NCAA Division I Quarterfinal67
2021North Dakota State14–17–11stW NCAA Division I Championship11
2022North Dakota State12–37–12ndL NCAA Division I Championship22
2023North Dakota State11–35–3T–3rdNCAA Division I TBD
North Dakota State:60–1032–7

Last edited:

fdbird83

I listen to ESPNU Radio every morning on my way to work and Danny Kanell and Dusty Dvoracek said Entz will also be the associate head coach and make around $800,000. That's a significant raise.
It is a big raise but the cost of now living in LA will chew that raise to shreds.

ChiRedbirdfan

Wow…800k for associate coach/linebackers coach I believe. Great example of the disparity of resources between the highest levels of fbs vs highest levels of fcs. Also I am very surprised the 800k amount is known given usc is a private.

Last edited:

ChiRedbirdfan

It is a big raise but the cost of now living in LA will chew that raise to shreds.
Agree when one is going from $100,000 to $200,000 income (which sounds like a great increase ) but you are moving from Fargo to La. But not so much when going from $400,000 to $800,000 income… meaning even if you conservatively added an extra $10,000 a month for housing and $5,000 a month for other increased LA living expenses (which I would say would easily cover the costs differential and are likely way overstated) that is only 180,000 annually. Far from the 400k annual income increase.

Total Red

Staff member
Agree when one is going from $100,000 to $200,000 income (which sounds like a great increase ) but you are moving from Fargo to La. But not so much when going from $400,000 to $800,000 income… meaning even if you conservatively added an extra $10,000 a month for housing and $5,000 a month for other increased LA living expenses (which I would say would easily cover the costs differential and are likely way overstated) that is only 180,000 annually. Far from the 400k annual income increase.
The gap narrows when you add state income tax and local sales tax.
I think the real win is trading winter in LA over winter in Fargo.

Dmills

This is really weird for so many players (looking at the quote tweets) to be publicly endorsing a candidate for HC. If you have strong feelings, express those behind closed doors. Otherwise, keep your mouths shut and your focus on Montana. Right?

Reggie Redbird

Salary is not the only compensation though, both directly and indirectly. There could be camp revenue, there could be retirement contributions, there could be easily achievable bonuses, there could be perks like cars or housing.

Perhaps Entz has not come across as strong in interviews like his predecessors to nab a head job. Almost any FBS job he grabs is going to double or triple his pay at least.

MadBird

Apparently he's been found. Returning to the fold.

Former North Dakota State assistant Tim Polasek is expected to return to Fargo as head coach, sources told FootballScoop on Sunday. ESPN first reported the news.

Polasek spent the past three seasons as Wyoming's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, working under legendary NDSU head coach Craig Bohl.

Edit: Just found on my FB

Last edited:

Dmills

Apparently he's been found. Returning to the fold.

Edit: Just found on my FB

Interesting choice. It looks like he won't be getting much of a raise, but that doesn't matter as much if dream to run your own program. Will be interesting to see the fallout. It seemed pretty clear the players vote was not Polasek. Their beloved OC might be out the door as well. I'm sure the Bison will survive, but it will be interesting to see if they can continue to compete for national championships.

Top Bottom