Battle for Illinois

Adunk33

Staff member
I too was foolish thinking it would be us, Depaul, Illinois, and like NIU or something. But also unfortunate that the men's and women's scores get combined. Hopefully WBB can take down all of the Illinois schools.

Interesting way to reignite the rivalries, with Wichita out of the conference now.

bombay

I'm sure they have a goal here, but the fact that it's all conference teams is disappointing.

Reggie Redbird

For a second I thought it was a Christmas miracle. Then I read the article and was sorely disappointed. Seemed to me like Dan's comment was trying to generate some faux excitement for fans in caring about this.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Illinois, Illinois State, Bradley, depaul, northwestern, bradley, Southern Illinois, loyola. 8 team 4 game showcase cannot face a team from your conference.

cpacmel

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Illinois, Illinois State, Bradley, depaul, northwestern, bradley, Southern Illinois, loyola. 8 team 4 game showcase cannot face a team from your conference.

Bradley vs Bradley couldn’t pay me to watch that one.

ChiRedbirdfan

Reggie Redbird said:
For a second I thought it was a Christmas miracle. Then I read the article and was sorely disappointed. Seemed to me like Dan's comment was trying to generate some faux excitement for fans in caring about this.
Beyond disappointment when reading the details. This is the best these in state athletic directors can come up with when choosing a "Battle for Illinois"?

Jsnhbe1Birds

cpacmel said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

Meant loyola

cpacmel

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
cpacmel said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:

Meant loyola

That’s only 7. Someone must get a bye then.

ISU FAN 1

If nothing else, the title of “Battle for Illinois” should shame others into participation. But it won’t. They will remain as cowards.

ChiRedbirdfan

ISU FAN 1 said:
If nothing else, the title of “Battle for Illinois” should shame others into participation. But it won’t. They will remain as cowards.
Why would any university be jealous or shamed by not being a part of a portion of the mvc members calling their conference games a “battle for Illinois” especially when they mix both men and women’s games into battle? This concept has buried a true battle of Illinois that we would all like to see played.

TheTruth

Silly, lame, lazy marketing. I've never seen a university so resistant to getting out of its comfort zone, so adverse to reaching its potential.

TIMMY

TheTruth said:
Silly, lame, lazy marketing. I've never seen a university so resistant to getting out of its comfort zone, so adverse to reaching its potential.

:text-+1: This says it all. About a lot of things. Too many comfortable chairs.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Screw the battle for illinois. Maybe we could be part of the battle for the Midwest with ISU, southern, Bradley, and Loyola!

Redbird Alum 2004

Well Illinois and Missouri do the bragging rights game. They fill Scottrade to see which team is not the worst in the two states. Kinda sad concept.

Reggie Redbird

TheTruth said:

I have been critical in the past of particular efforts with fundraising and marketing. This isn't just us. I don't care if they want to create some rivalry trophy or challenge like they have done for ISU-EIU or White Sox-Cubs. However, I would like to see more of what we're doing to get people into our own stands.

How about a DPDough bobblehead game of Dan Muller as a player? Then how about a WJBC or STL one of him as a coach?

How about an "NFL Birds series" of bobbleheads for football? Start with James O. or Cam M. and go from there.

What promotions can you do for students to get to games? We have some students who are very active at games, but we have a lot of open seats and a lot of students who come and aren't engaged. You can't motivate everyone, but can we get a few hundred more active and involved students? Perhaps work out some donations for Greek house philanthropies to help motivate these houses.

SgtHulka

Reggie Redbird said:
What promotions can you do for students to get to games? We have some students who are very active at games, but we have a lot of open seats and a lot of students who come and aren't engaged. You can't motivate everyone, but can we get a few hundred more active and involved students? Perhaps work out some donations for Greek house philanthropies to help motivate these houses.

An extra credit question on every quiz that can only be answered by attending the game and getting the answer there

That or free stuff. Beer would be good. A buy one get one free Zone with a student game ticket and coupon received at the game

SgtHulka

SgtHulka said:
Reggie Redbird said:

An extra credit question on every quiz that can only be answered by attending the game and getting the answer there

That or free stuff. Beer would be good. A buy one get one free Zone with a student game ticket and coupon received at the game

Top Bottom