BARRY!

saxman210

https://twitter.com/katiemucci/status/1049389124963184641?s=21

Credit to Cindy for finding this one and retweeting it. Say what you want about Barry, I admire his passion.

Hamdonger

Barry would probably make more money as a rent-him-out party favor. I believe he is GOOD for college basketball.

And you'd better look out. SIU is stacked and experienced. No guarantees we win. Bradley, even if you hate the coach, is experienced and deep into the coach's system. Loyola is Loyola based off last year. Very top heavy this year and the rest of the gang are no slouches.

13-5 might win the league.

Anywho, that was fun.

Adunk33

Staff member
I am a HUGE Barry fan. I agree he is good for the Valley and has said before if he were to get canned at SIU and didn't want to pursue a broadcast career (which he definitely could with his charisma), Muller/ISU should swoop him up in some way. Not necessarily as a coach but maybe DoBo or something along those lines. The guy loves the conference. I think a fair comparison is that Hinson is the less biased Mark Adams of coaching. The main difference is that when Wichita left, Adams went with them (confirming everyone's thoughts of his biases) to the American and no longer chirps the MVC like he used to. I believe if Hinson became a broadcaster, he would still be all about the MVC regardless of how he left the conference. Between Hinson calling out the media and Muller calling out the P5/6 schools, we have some good mouth pieces for our league.

DannyCooksey

as long as everyone understand what a fraud Barry is.......then yes......i love him too.

:roll:

Redbirdwarrior

Tweets load well.

Say what you will about Barry- I don't care. Years ago when he was the coach at Missouri St and went on a Hinson rant openly and repeatedly calling out the P5'/6 for collusion to keep Mid Majors from making a dent March, I sent him an email from my ISU student email and thanked him for it and wished him good luck in the season.

He not only responded, but responded with a good 2 or 3 paragraphs about how the system was rigged and how he was sick of it then followed it up with a long paragraph about how ISU (it was a season we were in the middle of the "Porter Project" and sub .500) was an incredible program and that I should be proud to call myself a Redbird, etc.

It made a huge impact on me and I don't think I'll ever have a lack of respect for the man.

DannyCooksey

DoubleDeuce said:
DannyCooksey said:
as long as everyone understand what a fraud Barry is.......then yes......i love him too.

I don't, please educate me.

When Anthony Slack visited MSU (before committing to ISU) he was berated up and down by Barry for even considering ISU and Porter Moser. Barry called him, Porter and us (ISU) every name in the book.

I understand recruiting can be vicious. I even understand badmouthing a fellow conference school in recruiting (though i never did it and don't see the benefit of doing so)but i don't see the need to take that out on a 20-21 year old young man no matter what your feelings are for another coach or University. that's just garbage.

To me, Barry is a fake tough guy, a fraud and a confirmed 100% dickface. But his "aw-shucks" down home charm has fooled many over the years and has bought him favor with many media and fans of many programs.

I'm just not one of them.

Hamdonger

DannyCooksey said:
When Anthony Slack visited MSU (before committing to ISU) he was berated up and down by Barry for even considering ISU and Porter Moser. Barry called him, Porter and us (ISU) every name in the book.

I understand recruiting can be vicious. I even understand badmouthing a fellow conference school in recruiting (though i never did it and don't see the benefit of doing so)but i don't see the need to take that out on a 20-21 year old young man no matter what your feelings are for another coach or University. that's just garbage.

To me, Barry is a fake tough guy, a fraud and a confirmed 100% dickface. But his "aw-shucks" down home charm has fooled many over the years and has bought him favor with many media and fans of many programs.

Did Anthony tell you that personally? Sincere question.

Phantom

Humdinger said:
DannyCooksey said:

He told me. And it was subsequently confirmed by both Boo and Moser.

Generally speaking I like Barry, I think he's at least an entertaining guy and a good cheerleader for the MVC. But those antics on Slack's visit were a little over the top IMHO. He saw both players as a great fit for MSU (who wouldn't) but also scared they could be program-turning transfers for us back then...and that's exactly what happened.

Hamdonger

Phantom said:
Humdinger said:
DannyCooksey said:

He told me. And it was subsequently confirmed by both Boo and Moser.

Generally speaking I like Barry, I think he's at least an entertaining guy and a good cheerleader for the MVC. But those antics on Slack's visit were a little over the top IMHO. He saw both players as a great fit for MSU (who wouldn't) but also scared they could be program-turning transfers for us back then...and that's exactly what happened.

Well that's good to know.

ChiRedbirdfan

DannyCooksey said:

Then in my book he is a fraud that sounds like a hillbilly too. So glad that redneck is not coaching ISU especially given his track record.

Redbird Alum 2004

I like Barry. He honestly loves the valley and he was a vocal supporter if ISU when the Hawkins/WSU saga was going on. People change

Hamdonger

Feinstein tells a great story about Digger Phelps and a few former ND stars approaching Gene Banks, the Philly kid who was being recruited by everyone in the country, but it had come down to Duke and Notre Dame...and Banks had already verbal'd to Duke.

This was mid to late 70's so Duke wasn't the Duke of today and hadn't signed an on-the-radar legitimate superstar in years...if ever. Digger and his UCLA streak-breaking stars walked up to Banks after one of his hs games...and with a Duke assistant a few feet away - and BOILING - Digger told Banks that choosing Duke over The Irish would be akin to choosing a VW Bug over a Cadillac.

Banks later said he was so intimidated that if ND had pulled out papers right there, he probably would have signed them.

The Duke ass't waited his turn, walked up to Banks and asked Gene if he was ok. Gene said "yeah, but what about you, Coach? You look white as a sheet."

Duke signed Banks and it was maybe the biggest turning point in the program's history, past present or up to today.

Point being there's 10,000 classic recruiting war stories out there, not including the mundane ones.

Phantom

Coaches take shots at competing programs/coaches, during the recruiting process, that is nothing new. It's part of the game. I think what made Barry's knocks on Porter/ISU seem so significant at the time was because:

1. We're in the same conference.
2. He felt threatened that Slack/Boo could be program-turning players for us...and they were.
3. MSU was a good top 3-5 MVC team in those years, and they had just gotten snubbed bad by the selection committee a month before, so he was probably riding emotional anger from that still. (No excuse, but I'm sure it was a factor.)

Buffett

Ran in to Barry and his team years ago at Alexanders Steak House, his mannerisms make you like him pushing up his glasses, etc talked to him just a bit, but he did say he and Jank were real close, back then they called each other a couple times a week, this was like Jank s first year at SMU

Top Bottom