Barry On Blast

dpdoughbird06

Barry being Barry. Sees the writing on the wall as we all do, and is not about to go quietly as mid-majors prepare to be poached:

https://twitter.com/fatherharry1/status/952950620943724544

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, he's right. As soon as someone blows up at a mid-major or smaller school and P5 school comes calling, gone. One step forward and two steps back.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe one of these 6'9" freshman we have coming next fall were overlooked by a P5 or they didn't think he was quite ready. Then he becomes MVC FOY and suddenly Illinois or Northwestern or Purdue needs a big body player. *Yoink* Nothing can be done about it.

I know the argument is coaches leave and the players are stuck and have to sit out a year. And I get that. Then put a disclaimer on it that the coach has to have left that season then you are immediately eligible. But to make it just a global rule whenever is bad bad news.

dpdoughbird06

isuquinndog said:
Maybe one of these 6'9" freshman we have coming next fall were overlooked by a P5 or they didn't think he was quite ready. Then he becomes MVC FOY and suddenly Illinois or Northwestern or Purdue needs a big body player. *Yoink* Nothing can be done about it.

I know the argument is coaches leave and the players are stuck and have to sit out a year. And I get that. Then put a disclaimer on it that the coach has to have left that season then you are immediately eligible. But to make it just a global rule whenever is bad bad news.

Pro leagues don't want full unlimited free agency - in their case it suppresses players' earning potential by flooding market with available talent. But colleges don't have to pay players, so this becomes a boon for P5...

I like the coach departure clause. Let players have option to leave if coach is gone - and go one step further and guarantee their spot at current school for next year if they want to stay.

MadBird

While I agree totally that "unlimited transferring" is harmful to schools and just plain dumb, won't it work the other way too? For every ISU guy moving on up, he's taking someone's scholly there. So, there's another guy at a P5 school looking for PT and looking to prove himself, etc. who's gonna say, okay, I can go elsewhere - Coach Dan recruited me hard when I was in HS and now I'll take him up on it.

Wisconsin has 3 juniors, one 6'11 from Belgium and 2 6'9 guys who are getting no PT. Now, they haven't earned it on a team that desperately needs help, but just for the sake of argument - if they could leave and get immediate playing time, there you go. Every P5 team has a 7th or 9th man who could play for ISU or SIU if given a chance.

ChiRedbirdfan

MadBird said:
While I agree totally that "unlimited transferring" is harmful to schools and just plain dumb, won't it work the other way too? For every ISU guy moving on up, he's taking someone's scholly there. So, there's another guy at a P5 school looking for PT and looking to prove himself, etc. who's gonna say, okay, I can go elsewhere - Coach Dan recruited me hard when I was in HS and now I'll take him up on it.

Wisconsin has 3 juniors, one 6'11 from Belgium and 2 6'9 guys who are getting no PT. Now, they haven't earned it on a team that desperately needs help, but just for the sake of argument - if they could leave and get immediate playing time, there you go. Every P5 team has a 7th or 9th man who could play for ISU or SIU if given a chance.

It will be interesting both ways.

MadBird, your WI Badger example is an excellent one. Andy Van Vliet is actually 7'0" and is skilled but needs to play with a sense of urgency, as you know. He would be a great project to bring to ISU and try to motivate. I am guessing he will be heading home vs transferring to another university so discussing him is likely moot point.

BTW are transfers only allowed at the end of the year under the proposed new rule?

SoCalRedbird

The MM coaching carousel would be considerably more active, especially for those looking to build resumes and move to P5.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ISU FAN 1

Bird Friend said:
Been saying this for years. FCS for basketball is nearly here.
If that's the case, ISU has likely already been to their last Big Dance. So glad I wasted the last 20 years following this drought stricken team. Not interested in FCS football. Won't be interested in FCS basketball. Time to jump on a bandwagon elsewhere at that point. Duke looks pretty good. just not good for basketball. I think Big Dance interest takes a huge hit if there are no more Cinderella stories, and no real upset picks to choose on a bracket.

I did see where they are thinking of grad transfers consuming 2 years worth of scholarship, since many grad programs are 2 years in duration. That could change the appeal of the grad transfer to the P5s. Although I'm sure they would find some loophole around it. But who needs a grad transfer, when P5s can just start poaching freshmen and sophomores without penalty.

SgtHulka

With our penchant for 7 new faces each season this actually might work to our benefit since we are already acclimated to the new system. We'll have a nice 2 year run while the other coaches play catch up.

Chi-bird

Regardless as to whether it would work both ways.....the end result is still players changing jerseys and affiliations routinely, which will turn college basketball into something that more closely resembles fantasy football, or AAU. It will become about the individual players....which in turn, will not only harm the idea of cheering on a team....but it will also harm the idea of program-building, team basektball, etc

For instance, let's just say every player from this years team moves on. Let's say Keyshawn Evans goes to SIU, MY goes to Purdue, etc., and we start over with new players....even if they are great players and we win more games than the year before, it won't really mean much to many fans when they essentially realize that ISU basketball is nothing more than a temporary rental vehicle for players to use until they don't need it anymore. Attendance will slowly dwindle, donations will dry up, and we will essentially be left with a glorified aau league. We might as well re-configure Horton because Redbird Arena will be 3/4 empty.

The writing has been on the wall, and we've seen this trend for years. Look at our best players....they leave more times than they stay. We go 17-1 last year, and our two best returners bolt for a "higher team". It's enough to make one not really give a shit anymore......and that's coming from a fan who has spent the better part of 28 years living and dying with these birds, even in the down years. It's not the losing that I'm personally sick of, it's the new era of college basketball. I doubt that I'm in the minority on here. What happens if our best players every year leave?

ISU FAN 1

Most D1 sports do allow immediate eligibility for transfers. Only baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey require transfers to sit out a year.

My kid will be playing on an athletic scholarship starting next year. Will be throwing my support and attention in a new direction anyway, should they decide to ruin college basketball.

RedbirdNation24

isuquinndog said:

I like this idea, but why not take it one step further and just say transfers will be considered on a case-by-case basis? If a kid has legitimate problems with his living situation on campus, coach leaves, has a personal situation that forces him to move closer to home, etc. those would be good reasons for leaving a program and not having to sit out a year. However, if a guy just wants to leave because a P5 came calling, he should have to sit out a year. IMO this is also just a good way to hold kids accountable and instill good values.

I think there is already an appeal process for this kind of thing, so maybe what I'm proposing is already the case I'm not sure.

ISU FAN 1

RedbirdNation24 said:
isuquinndog said:

I like this idea, but why not take it one step further and just say transfers will be considered on a case-by-case basis? If a kid has legitimate problems with his living situation on campus, coach leaves, has a personal situation that forces him to move closer to home, etc. those would be good reasons for leaving a program and not having to sit out a year. However, if a guy just wants to leave because a P5 came calling, he should have to sit out a year. IMO this is also just a good way to hold kids accountable and instill good values.

I think there is already an appeal process for this kind of thing, so maybe what I'm proposing is already the case I'm not sure.

NCAA hides behind "doing what's best for the kids", while counting their millions in exploitation dollars.

ChiRedbirdfan

ISU FAN 1 said:
RedbirdNation24 said:
isuquinndog said:

NCAA hides behind "doing what's best for the kids", while counting their millions in exploitation dollars.
:text-+1: Well said.

That fear of what may happen is really no different then what goes in the City of Chicago public high school basketball. Morgan Park and Simeon basketball teams receive a couple of transfers nearly every year and the players that transfer in are usually D1 caliber players and often high majors. These are kids transferring into a high school where the average ACT score is poor, I think SImeon is around an 18 (and that average is bolstered by the fact that only their best students are taking the test and often many poorer students do not even consider college). The high school coaches often hide behind the fact that they are "helping and doing what is best for the kids". I think Uni Louisville's basketball program has also been modeled around helping kids for many years.

dpdoughbird06

ISU FAN 1 said:
RedbirdNation24 said:
isuquinndog said:

Cheaper to grant players freedom of unlimited movement than open up Pandora's box and start paying them.

Muller's thoughts at coaches show last night were interesting:

* every player - himself and Jamar Smiley (and even player guest Matt Hein) included - considers transferring at some point, and there are often valid reasons for it.

* the pendulum has swung in direction of "what's best for player", but often what 18-22 year old think is best for them at time might not be. A lot to be said for staying with one program and growing.

* Lifelong bonds with teammates are also much stronger if you don't transfer.

* GPA requirement could limit transfers somewhat, but as many have said on here how hard is it to pull a 2.8 in 100-level university studies gen eds?

But I'm sure Muller knows it'll be even more challenging than ever to build a program going forward; he's happy to let Barry be the battering ram on this issue.

JHBird

isuquinndog said:

I think this is bad too. Hopefully some of those 4-star recruits that are sitting on the benches of some of the P5 schools will want to come to a school like ISU, and maybe be a star. This can work both ways.

Top Bottom