at Valparaiso - 02/11/2023 - 6:00 PM - ESPN3

ISU86

The Redbirds travel to the Athletics-Recreation Center to take on the Beacons.

ISU stands alone at ninth place in conference at 5-10 (10-16 overall) whereas VU sits alone in tenth place at 4-11 (10-16 overall) whereas .

The 'birds are led in scoring and assits by Darius Burford (11.8, 2.3) and rebounding by Kendall Lewis (7.1), Seneca Knight (11.3), Lewis (10.4) and Malachai Poindexter (10.0) also average in double-digits; the Crusaders are led in scoring and rebounds by Ben Krikke (18.7, 5.8) and assists by Nick Edwards (5.0); Kobe King (16.3) and Quinton Green (10.4) also average double-digits. The 'birds generally go eleven and the Crusaders go ten deep on any given night.

According to NET Ranking, Illinois State's (262) toughest opponent was Bradley (71, two losses), their best win was against Southern Illinois (114) and their worst loss was to Valparaiso (284); Valparaiso's (284) toughest opponent was Bradley (71, loss), their best win was against James Madison (84) and their worst loss was to Chicago State (285).

At this point in the season, there are more common opponents than not (the Redbirds defeated and Valparaiso lost to Chicago State in non-conference); as far as strengths, the Redbirds have advantage in blocked shots, three-point percentage, offensive rebounds and free-throw percentage.

VU won the first match-up at CEFCU Arena, 71-51.

VU Coach Matt Lottich has seemed to have ISU's number since his arrival, winning nine of the last ten match-ups. In the first game, VU shot lights out as Green eviscerated us from the outside and King from the inside; they also dominated the glass on the defensive end. ISU also appears to be suffering through a case of dead legs (a short bench is coming home to roost).

For whatever reason, the Beacons struggle against the rest of the conference but seem to have the Redbirds number. This is either the perfect storm alignment to bottom out or pull an upset. I can see Krikke having his way if he wants to.

Blaze 71, Reggie 68

Redbirdfan76

Tough for us to beat Valpo given recent history…..but given how season has gone, I think this group has at least one more good game left in them….Birds 69 Beacons 68.

DoubleDeuce

Interesting lineup. Shaking it up a little, let's coach found something here.

Bird Friend

The way we've played D, I'm surprised we're only down 3 at the under 12 TO.

Bird Friend

All in all, half ends better than I thought. We had a good stretch of D for about 5 or 6 minutes, but then back to meh. Down 4 at half. We only have 7 rebounds, committed 7 fouls, and we have 7 turnovers. We're shooting 57% from the field, but Valpo has shot 62% from the field.

Bird Friend

And the broadcast has the potential to be funny since they seem to leave the mic open.

Bird Friend

Very Bird-like thing to have a team who doesn't shoot the 3 well shoot the lights out from 3, including a turnaround very well contested 3 as the shot clock expires. Meanwhile, we can't hit wide open 3s.

Redbird82

Valpo has sucked since they have been in the league, yet beaten us 9 of 10. Granted we haven’t been any good either, but come on, they play out of their minds against us

P

Popsto4

Very Bird-like thing to have a team who doesn't shoot the 3 well shoot the lights out from 3, including a turnaround very well contested 3 as the shot clock expires. Meanwhile, we can't hit wide open 3s.
I agree. Ik Mal been way off tonight

Reggie Redbird

Valpo has sucked since they have been in the league, yet beaten us 9 of 10. Granted we haven’t been any good either, but come on, they play out of their minds against us
I was just making this point earlier tonight. Valpo’s coach gets a significant amount of his conference wins against us.

Main difference in this one is we fouled more and they hit their FTs.

cubird

At the 12 minute mark, Poindexter finally started to get good looks. Switching on K killed us. The help defender was late helping the smaller switch at the rim.

B

BirdGrad2011

I hate to say it, but I’m honestly at the point where I want to see Poindexter, Luke, and DB. The rest? Step it up for good luck at your next stop.

Brick

62 shot attempts. THIRTY from three. Inside the line 20/32. Just not good basketball.

SlackBooDom

-9 on the boards. Fouled 22 times. Trailed for the final 25 minutes. Let Valpo shoot 55%. Maybe the social media got some good pictures of the player’s outfits though. That’s success.

Top Bottom