Annexstad to Sobkowicz

fourthandshort

SO WR Daniel Sobkowicz had a great day and is having a great season .. he leads MVFC in every category below except yards per catch. To think he was non-schollie originally, is quite impressive. And with 45 catches after just 7 games, he already exceeds his 31 catches from a year ago. He is currently 11th in catches/game in all of FCS.

Of course, he certainly needed a QB like Annexstad to be having a season like this ... so let's not lose track of how good our QB has been this season. He is such an accurate and strong thrower. Put aside Roberson's dual threat, I would say Annexstad is the best throwing QB we've had since Brown .. just didn't have Brown's arm strenght, but certainly more accurate.

And the offense has never looked better overall since 2016 when SO Kolbe, and we had a pretty diverse and dynamic pass/run attack .. albeit inconsistent at times, and had some pocket issues. So I would say this 2023 offense is better than 2016, and arguably as good or better than 2015 (Roberson played half the season with fractured right hand). I would also say it moght be better than 2013 team with Brown/Walker et al because that team's RB group was all banged up.

Quick shout out to D-II transfer TE Grandy to ... his value as a very productive TE can not be under-stated. He is up to 32 catches after 7 games ... not a big day yesterday with 1 catch. But he also drew a pass interference on a key 3rd and long to keep a drive going But his presence and production keeps defenses so honest, and opens things up for guys like Sobkowicz. This helps the rest of our offense so much .. passing and running, on play actions.

Another shout out to NIU transfer RB Blakemore, he is up to 2nd in MVFC is rush yards/game, and 4th in total rush yards. Had another very good day yesterday.

In any case .. Annexstad to Sobkowicz has proven itself to be a very strong duo in MVFC and FCS.

1697993044540.png

Dmills

There was a comment on another post about Zack looking at Sobkowicz too much. Maybe that's true, but it was certainly our best source of offense yesterday. Zack also had one less reliable target to throw to in Eddie Kasper. Sobkowicz literally had 3 touchdowns as they threw different guys at him trying to defend him. He very nearly had a 4th. Towards the end of the game, Zack threw a jump ball to Contreras in the end zone. I don't know if Contreras thought it was going to be deeper or what, but he kept running instead of slowing up and jumping for the ball. That is something Sobkowicz has done so well. He is great at judging the ball, adjusting, and making a play. He is so good at being able to adjust and come back to the ball at the last second. He's also surprisingly swift in the open field, able to turn upfield after catching a curl for big gains. I really hope to see him back next year. He very well may have a down year under a new quarterback though.

fourthandshort

There was a comment on another post about Zack looking at Sobkowicz too much. Maybe that's true, but it was certainly our best source of offense yesterday. Zack also had one less reliable target to throw to in Eddie Kasper. Sobkowicz literally had 3 touchdowns as they threw different guys at him trying to defend him. He very nearly had a 4th. Towards the end of the game, Zack threw a jump ball to Contreras in the end zone. I don't know if Contreras thought it was going to be deeper or what, but he kept running instead of slowing up and jumping for the ball. That is something Sobkowicz has done so well. He is great at judging the ball, adjusting, and making a play. He is so good at being able to adjust and come back to the ball at the last second. He's also surprisingly swift in the open field, able to turn upfield after catching a curl for big gains. I really hope to see him back next year. He very well may have a down year under a new quarterback though.
Might be fair point, but Sobkowicz is good size and knows how to make all the catches. And who knows what Annexstad knows and sees out there ... so it's hard to find fault though with Annexstad .. he has a lot of confidence is Sobkowicz.

Besides, just 2 weeks ago, we had 3 top reception leaders in top 10. But Kasper got injured, Grandy slipped a bit. And Carr is undersized and was recovering from injury. So it's really been just this one game where he could have spread it around a little better. So I'm not concerned at this point. I have 100% confidence Annexstad sees the whole field .. we have never had a QB find the TE as much as Annextstad - not even close. So that speaks volumes to me.

Anyway, fair point to question, but i have zero concerns at this point. If it keeps happening, it should be something the coaches look into.

CB2K

This has turned into a frustrating year so far because of the unknowns about the defense that were raised in the spring have proven to be valid concerns and are starting to answer and reveal themselves. Coach Spack would often remind everyone that the defense is young and inexperienced but getting better - even after victories - in many of his interviews. He obviously knew the gaps and has commented on it quite a bit almost as if warning everyone that there is much room for improvement. During halftime of the SDSU game he said he went back to a simple base defense to simplify things since things weren't working very well. I do think there is some very good defensive talent but as a team it has been an OTJ training ordeal.

The offense is very good which fourth is showing and commenting on above which makes this year so frustrating. Usually it is the other way around where the defense is solid but the offense is a conservative, grind it out "get us by each week" type. I have really enjoyed the offense this year for the most part. They are really clicking midseason but it might not be enough. Truly disappointing that the defense and offense aren’t both consistently very good in the same year. Yesterday was a must win from my perspective especially with the EIU loss on the books. Hopefully they can play well down the stretch and get some Ws to keep the hope of postseason alive.

Last edited:

fourthandshort

This has turned into a frustrating year so far because of the unknowns about the defense that were raised in the spring have proven to be valid concerns and are starting to answer and reveal themselves. Coach Spack would often remind everyone that the defense is young and inexperienced but getting better - even after victories - in many of his interviews. He obviously knew the gaps and has commented on it quite a bit almost as if warning everyone that there is much room for improvement. During halftime of the SDSU game he said he went back to a simple base defense to simplify things since things weren't working very well. I do think there is some very good defensive talent but as a team it has been an OTJ training ordeal.

The offense is very good which fourth is showing and commenting on above which makes this year so frustrating. Usually it is the other way around where the defense is solid but the offense is a conservative, grind it out "get us by each week" type. I have really enjoyed the offense this year for the most part. They are really clicking midseason but it might not be enough. Truly disaapointing that the defense and offense are consistently very good in the same year. Yesterday was a must win from my perspective especially with the EIU loss on the books. Hopefully they can play well down the stretch and get some Ws to keep the hope of postseason alive.
Regarding defense .. agreed, we have talent and playmakers, albeit young and unproven. But we aren't stout, which is usually our strength on defense.

Redbird15

Might be fair point, but Sobkowicz is good size and knows how to make all the catches. And who knows what Annexstad knows and sees out there ... so it's hard to find fault though with Annexstad .. he has a lot of confidence is Sobkowicz.

Besides, just 2 weeks ago, we had 3 top reception leaders in top 10. But Kasper got injured, Grandy slipped a bit. And Carr is undersized and was recovering from injury. So it's really been just this one game where he could have spread it around a little better. So I'm not concerned at this point. I have 100% confidence Annexstad sees the whole field .. we have never had a QB find the TE as much as Annextstad - not even close. So that speaks volumes to me.

Anyway, fair point to question, but i have zero concerns at this point. If it keeps happening, it should be something the coaches look into.
Yes Sobkowicz/Annexstad connection has been great ! Can't take that away from them. Last year we use multiple TE with Demming/Taula. All the 22 TE/WR stats would have been higher had we had a healthy QB/OL the last 4 games. Offense other than running game was more balance in 22. The use of TE's made it harder for teams. We have Preston, Charles and Gandy as TE's only 5 targets yesterday ? Maybe it was the defense scheme. WR's year Targets/Rec Sobkowicz 72/45- Kasper 33/27- Carr 21/18- Gandy 41/33 - Stewart 10/5/ - Nelson 2/2 - Contreas 9/5 - Charles 5/4 - Presson 2/1. As a team we got to utilize weapons to make a run to get into playoffs. The third down yesterday no time out in a crucial moment ! I like what YSU did with there back up QB because he can run in those short yardage situations. Why not use Rittenhouse to create some confusions sometimes using RPO. Yes WR got to make plays like Sobkowicz but staff has to have confidence in those guys also and take advantage of those guys skillz and talent to create balance and make opponents adjust in game stituations. Go look at what type coverage on TE and Slot. Man/Cover 2 etc. As far as next season goes will be interesting to see if Sobkowicz stays as well as others with Rittenhouse or incoming QB.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-22 155220.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-22 155220.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 2

Virginia Redbird

Enjoy Sobkowicz for a few more weeks, portal will be calling
I hope not but I have to admit I was thinking the same thing while watching the game. Annexstad is finished after this season and what does Sobkowicz do? He has some time left and does he stay in Normal or go in search of a different team. All we can do is wait and watch.

MadBird

I hope not but I have to admit I was thinking the same thing while watching the game. Annexstad is finished after this season and what does Sobkowicz do? He has some time left and does he stay in Normal or go in search of a different team. All we can do is wait and watch.
Well, you know, once upon a time in a land long, long ago, a kid would feel loyalty to the coaches/program that gave him a chance w/o a scholarship, and then rewarded his hard efforts with some money. But, now . . . . .????

Redbird15

Well, you know, once upon a time in a land long, long ago, a kid would feel loyalty to the coaches/program that gave him a chance w/o a scholarship, and then rewarded his hard efforts with some money. But, now . . . . .????
Different Era with rules/regulations etc. Not to say he will leave but I'm pretty sure all the WR's have questions regarding the future QB situation. They have to look at what's best for their situation. Its like saying ah we going to bring in a 6'5 option QB who can run but can't throw.. What WR is going to stay under that scenario? Loyalty goes both ways how many promise these coaches make to kids ? Also tommy playing his butt off only to be bench so little Johnny can play because Tommy mommy/daddy or booster friend donate money to the school/program. So coach has to play tommy.... Tommy ok but not better than Johnny... Coach is not wanting to lose his job ! Who is he loyalty going be with the team ? The player he screwing over ? Or to his family because he been given direct orders by his boss or lose his job !

Birdswin

Different Era with rules/regulations etc. Not to say he will leave but I'm pretty sure all the WR's have questions regarding the future QB situation. They have to look at what's best for their situation. Its like saying ah we going to bring in a 6'5 option QB who can run but can't throw.. What WR is going to stay under that scenario? Loyalty goes both ways how many promise these coaches make to kids ? Also tommy playing his butt off only to be bench so little Johnny can play because Tommy mommy/daddy or booster friend donate money to the school/program. So coach has to play tommy.... Tommy ok but not better than Johnny... Coach is not wanting to lose his job ! Who is he loyalty going be with the team ? The player he screwing over ? Or to his family because he been given direct orders by his boss or lose his job !
Other than the first two sentences - the rest is just a little on the nonsensical side of the equation, in relation to Redbird Football.

Redbird15

Other than the first two sentences - the rest is just a little on the nonsensical side of the equation, in relation to Redbird Football.
So you are saying that Coaches don't make promises to players when they are being recruited ? That a recruit should just be loyal to any program lol almost like saying back in the day if a team runs I-Formation and WR should not consider a spread offense that would fit that WR goals.? Also Nil Collective via boosters/donors don't play into kids hitting the portal or choice of schools? Maybe that's why Bama is losing now LMAO because they never paid player with booster money & others now are influence by $'s

Last edited:

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Also Nil Collective via boosters/donors don't play into kids hitting the portal or choice of schools. Maybe that's why Bama is losing now LMAO because they never paid player with booster money & others now are influence by $'s
Did you mean to say it doesn't play into it? Because I think you are way wrong on this point. Maybe Bama is losing now because the playing field is level. Players are getting money from other schools. I know it's basketball but Antiono Reeves is the perfect example. He definitely left ISU because of NIL money and what he could get at Kentucky. And its why he's staying in school for another year.

Redbird15

Did you mean to say it doesn't play into it? Because I think you are way wrong on this point. Maybe Bama is losing now because the playing field is level. Players are getting money from other schools. I know it's basketball but Antiono Reeves is the perfect example. He definitely left ISU because of NIL money and what he could get at Kentucky. And its why he's staying in school for another year.
You are correct NIL does make a difference of player’s choice as well as booster $$ etc. I was responsible to someone replying to my post earlier basically saying that NIL don’t come into play as well as boosters and coaches promising players XYZ . Yes the playing field is level out now 100% and players are going to hit portal base on NIL as well as play time possibilities and offense defense schemes that may or may not fit them.

fourthandshort

Good for him !!

And I was wondering if they were related but never checked because his brother was DL.

fourthandshort

I wonder if he wold give it at least one more year, since he could certainly do it his senior year if he wanted. His brother played for ISUr. Amd he likely appreciates getting the full ride after he was willing to walkon here.

And we will likely look to transfer portal for QB if Rittenhouse doesn't develop enough. Not ruling Rittenhouse out, but he is undersized, and didn't impress throwing last year.

Total Red

Staff member
Ok, but every FCS team will have quality players that could go in the portal. And FBS teams have good players that are stuck behind other good players. Those are potential portal transfers as well.

We act like the portal only exists to bite us. We can win, lose or draw in the portal depending on how well it is pursued. Think of how much of our offense came to us from the portal - QB Zack Annexstad, TE Cam Grandy, RB Mason Blakemore. We can do this.

Also, the FBS transfers get all the attention, but you can find good transfers in the FCS, Juco, D-II, D-III.
Grandy came to us from D-II. EIU got immediate help for their football program with an FCS transfer at QB and several Jucos. With all the focus on the FBS there are hidden gems out there for the taking.

BJJ guy

We just need to supply him with lots of intel on good fishing holes in the greater Bloomington/Normal area. He's more likely to leave for better fishing opportunites than a better football team;-)

fourthandshort

Here is MVFC Top WRs update thru game 8 ... Sobkowicz pulling away the last 2 games. Grandy closed the gap fast the last game with 11 catches.

1698867614105.png

Here is where Annexstad sits in MVFC ... this shows he is leader in Pass Yards, Pct, and TDs. But lagging he QBs in Yds/Catch and Yds/Att. This is why his QBR is good, but on lower end of MVFC QBs. This is comparable to Kolbe 2016, but IMO he is clearly playing at higher level than 2016 Kolbe did, especially Zacks whole pocket sense/handling. I just wish we spread it mid-deep a little more often .. below stats bare that out. - he is last in yards per catch.

1698869790071.png

Top Bottom