All Conference Honors

ISUBU

James Robinson and Drew Himmelman are both first team all conference offense. On the defensive side, it was Romeo McKnight, Luther Kirk and Devin Taylor.

Ty DeForest was the only second teamer.

Virginia Redbird

Four Honorable Mentions as well. John Ridgeway, Sam Fenelson, Adam Solomon and Paul Monaco. When you figure this is the Missouri Valley Conference that includes NDSU and other teams ranked and in the playoffs it is a pretty impressive number to have 5 first teamers, 1 second team and 4 Honorable Mentions.
Well done Redbirds! Congrats!

fourthandshort

Well done Redbirds !!!

Good to see Ridgeway and Fenlanson getting recognition. His dominant game against NDSU probably got a lot of attention that week .. he was so good that game. Best OL in country had no answer for Ridgeway .. despite the outcome of game.

DannyCooksey

Congrats to all.

Takes a lot of hard work, discipline and talent to make the all conference team in any league but especially the MVC. says a lot about the players and the coaches for recruiting talented players and helping them develop.

Total Red

Staff member
I thought several Redbirds deserved more recognition. Not that I'm biased or anything.
Ridgeway deserved more than HM. He was hurt by the fact that he is taken off the field in passing situations.
I'm not sure it is necessary. He can crush a pocket with a straight on bull rush but there is a concern that the QB will run past him. Anyway, I'd say he's more than Honorable.

I also thought Rients would get recognition at G and Draka at LB'er. Draka split time with Mends and that held his numbers down but he came up with a lot of big plays and he made most of the ordinary ones you rely on.

fourthandshort

Total Red said:
I thought several Redbirds deserved more recognition. Not that I'm biased or anything.
Ridgeway deserved more than HM. He was hurt by the fact that he is taken off the field in passing situations.
I'm not sure it is necessary. He can crush a pocket with a straight on bull rush but there is a concern that the QB will run past him. Anyway, I'd say he's more than Honorable.

I also thought Rients would get recognition at G and Draka at LB'er. Draka split time with Mends and that held his numbers down but he came up with a lot of big plays and he made most of the ordinary ones you rely on.

agreed on Ridgeway .. our problem at LBer is we run 7 deep with people who deserve meaningful reps. That and we can go bigger or faster as needed, depending on opponent and down/distance.

Virginia Redbird

Total Red said:

I wonder if Ridgeway being only a Sophomore hurt him in the selection. I expect to see him moving up the chain on this the All Conference selections over the next two years. He just caused all kinds of havoc in the middle of the line for opposing offenses this year.

MadBird

I'll speak only for myself, altho I wasn't alone on this board thinking this team could have been better at several points in the season. The YSU game was our only "turkey" compared to the last few years where we seemed to falter down the stretch, and the SDSU game was a great win. But you know what I mean - there was some grousing about the OL not getting the job done, etc.

But we have the top RB in the conference and our LT gets first team and someone had to open up those holes (by the way, is there a all conference position for blocking FB, because McCloyn should be unanimous for that!). So let's hear it for the OL, all of them.

Luther Kirk!!! LUTHER KIRK!! Give this guy some extra credit for figgering it out and coming back and really really getting the job done. He easily could have walked away, at least transferred out of here, and instead he stuck to it and became a great leader.

The Birds are 9-4 and in the second round of the playoffs and have been ranked all year, etc. Pretty good. Nice showing on the all-conference team. As the announcer I'm so glad is gone would say, "Don't stop now boys"!!!

Top Bottom